1 2
Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/9/09 2:02 p.m.

For those who only read R&T for Egan: http://www.roadandtrack.com/default.asp?section_id=26

Mental
Mental SuperDork
2/9/09 5:03 p.m.
Keith wrote: For those who only read R&T for Egan: http://www.roadandtrack.com/default.asp?section_id=26

Add me to that pile. I usually read it at a magazine stand, and then pick up Cycle World for the same reason.

If R&T goes under, I bet Egan a great contributor to GRM and CM. As he does do most of his own wrenching.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
2/9/09 6:40 p.m.

<blockquote If R&T goes under, I bet Egan a great contributor to GRM and CM. As he does do most of his own wrenching.

If that would happen, I hope R&T does go under. Peter Egan's couple of pages have 10-fold the value of the rest of the 100 or so other pages of that magazine.

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
2/9/09 7:13 p.m.
minimac wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: The late Don Sherman and Philips were awesome and P.J.was pretty entertaining.
Philips was my favorite... he's not, "late" too, is he? I know Sherman is, but I hope Philips isn't, too. He is/was hilarious! As an engineering student in the 1990's, C&D was interesting, and Philips' articles used to crack me up! I now get Road and Track so I can read everything and anything Peter Egan writes. I usually don't find much else interesting, but Egan makes it worth the price of a subscription.
PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
2/9/09 7:20 p.m.

Wrote that before I saw Keith's post...now I think I can let the subscription lapse and just read Egan's stuff online for free! Thanks Keith.

But, if all of us who read R&T just for Egan's column just read them online and stop buying the magazine, I wonder if R&T will eventually tank and therefore take Egan's articles with them. Then, we Egan fans will no longer have regular Egan columns to read.

I guess I won't let it lapse. Can't take that chance.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/9/09 8:49 p.m.

If you're an Egan fan, you can pick up three volumes of Side Glances as well as "At Large", a compilation of road trip articles. He also does motorcycle stuff for Cycle World and those are compiled as well. His story about running a TSD rally in a classic 850cc Mini is awesome, but too new to show in those volumes.

fifty
fifty New Reader
2/9/09 8:53 p.m.

I've enjoyed Car + Driver for many years, as much for the writing as what's being said. I've always found Csaba Csere's editorials to be a tough read: he has nothing positive to say. It's like a FOP's (berkeleying old person's) rant.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
2/9/09 9:23 p.m.
Mental wrote: Add me to that pile. I usually read it at a magazine stand, and then pick up Cycle World for the same reason.

Plus, Cycle World has Kevin Cameron who's also a very talented writer.

Canute
Canute New Reader
2/9/09 10:41 p.m.

They have some entertaining articles, but it's a mostly content free publication. I can go through it in probably less than an hour and not really have any desire to go back and read it again. Hence my nickname for it as "Car and Drivel".

pinoville
pinoville New Reader
2/9/09 11:44 p.m.

I'm not nearly so selective. I love to read; I especially love to read car magazines. I have long standing subscriptions to C&D, R&T, Automobile, European Car. as well as club mags: Roundel and Parade. I love GRM and Classic. I have never had a bad time reading about cars. Now some are better than others, but I'll take anything over People anyday.

Will

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
2/10/09 10:06 a.m.
pinoville wrote: I have never had a bad time reading about cars. Now some are better than others, but I'll take anything over People anyday.

Agreed. I read them all because I just read a lot. Sometimes there are gems, sometimes they are boring, but they are better than the newspaper.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/10/09 10:26 a.m.

Car and Driver was my favorite magazine as I was growing up. I saved every one of my Dad's issues. I'd read and re-read them again and again, committing the 0-60 times, top speeds, other stats to memory. I had them all organized from 1978 or so all the way into the mid 90's. C&D was the reason I always dreamt of working for a car magazine.

The content in the 90's shifted away from enthusiast cars (even project cars!) to SUV's and super exotics. I still give the mag a read now and again, but just to catch up with what is new, or upcoming.

I've really enjoyed some of the writing there, and C&D really helped foster my love of cars. Guys like Steven Cole Smith, Brock Yates, Don Sherman, and Csaba were heroes to me.

The change for the worse seemed to happen when Hachette took over C&D. Maybe it was just the bean counters dictating what to cover, but it just seemed like they were having a lot less fun over there.

I ran into Csaba at SEMA this year. (literally) I told him I'd always enjoyed C&D, and I thanked him for all the years of enjoyment. He was really gracious, and thanked me, shook my hand and we moved on. Hopefully he will be able to find a new outlet, I've always enjoyed his insight, and analysis of the car world.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
2/10/09 1:13 p.m.
gamby wrote:
P71 wrote: They're already shacked up. R&T and C&D come as a 2-for-1 subscription deal and they read nearly identical. They test the same cars every issue and have the same cover story. It's sad really.
Yeah, both did the "600hp dream car" feature last month. Seems like one of them is poised to go under. The magazine industry is an ugly place right now. It's a shame, because car mags are one of the finest simple pleasures in life. They provide a satisfaction that the web can't.

I have to agree. I recently got a notice saying that Sport Compact Car was getting canceled and that my subscription was getting switched to Modified mag (shoot me now). It seems that the only import magazine that didn't spend all it's time going on about body kits and actually talks about performance and getting on the track is getting cut. It looks like Grassroots is now the only magazine that talks about getting imports on track. Keep up the good work.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sm9jokROfuROlZPTbWKlnOOFlQhVQL9jvjZ5I0vhtGhQU8afN9KpiTDwrOv7lrnf