TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
12/3/19 10:24 p.m.

The early gen 2 cts v's are getting cheaper. With high milage.    The manual ones are getting around 25k with 100k+ milage.  Supercharged manual rwd.  That's a RARE combo these days.  

Not in a position to buy one myself,  but I'm curious what you guys think?  

I wonder how well thse hold up with higher milage.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/4/19 2:37 p.m.

Well, a gen1 with 300k on it and missing 5th and 6th gear just won challenge autocross, and it was running 12s once they shut down the traction control...so pretty good?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/4/19 2:55 p.m.

The only issues I know of are related to the supercharger and it making excessive noise. I know a couple people that had them replaced under warranty. Other than that it's usual GM car aging stuff. The stereo/nav is not great and I was always paranoid about the screen not popping up. Mine had intermittent connectivity issues with the rear veiw camera. I've yet to look at one with 150k on it to see how the seats and door cards are aging. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/4/19 6:17 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Well, a gen1 with 300k on it and missing 5th and 6th gear just won challenge autocross, and it was running 12s once they shut down the traction control...so pretty good?

So, my brother owns this one ^^^ (and my old V1, which now has well over 200k.) I own a V2 with 155k that I got a good deal on with a tick over 100k a couple years ago. I DD it 80 miles/day.

Aside from being autotragic, it's been a fantastic car with no issues aside from routine maintenance stuff. I *do* wish I'd held out for a manual; so much so, I'm considering trading down to a V1. Shifts are painfully slow in Manual mode, and violent and unpredictable in standard/"sport" mode.

Regardless, I'm a total fanboi. If I find another running 300k+ mile V1 for less than $5k, I'm snapping it up. It'll be interesting to see where the V2s bottom-out in the 200-300k range.

The V2 was the most I'd ever spent on a car, but there's some peace of mind knowing it's all just parts-bin push-rod GM stuff, really. 

I've had way more interior/electrical chicken-E36 M3 complaints with our bought-new 2013 mazda5.

poopshovel again
12/4/19 6:42 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Funny thing is, mine doesn't have a back-up camera, so I've seriously put the screen up/down twice; once to berkeley with audio controls, and once so my girls could go "WOOOOOOW! COOOOOOOL!"

Same with the sunroof. One open/close cycle for the kids. I berkeleying hate sunroofs. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/4/19 7:04 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

One open/close cycle for the kids. I berkeleying hate sunroofs. 

Truer words have never been spoken.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
12/4/19 8:14 p.m.

Damn, I can't be more opposite. I never knew how much I wanted a sunroof until I owned a car with one. Admittedly I'm not tall enough(only 6'0") to notice the lack of headroom and mine works perfectly and doesn't leak.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/4/19 9:07 p.m.

I'm in a position to get a gen 2 automatic with 80k miles and a couple mods (550hp? Ish?) for a good price. The gas mileage and it not being a wagon are the only 2 problems I have. Well that and having a car payment again.

TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
12/4/19 11:35 p.m.

More or less what I thought.  Cars these days are just...Good.  

They all are pretty reliable these days.  (other than standard stuff)   

I think if I wasn't strapped for cash I could buy a manual.  even higher mileage. 

poopshovel again
12/5/19 6:25 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Car is paid off but I spend $300/month in gas...so basically a car payment <insert cringe emoji>

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
12/5/19 7:44 p.m.

As my avatar proclaims .............yes I have a gen2.....with 165800 on the odo....now the journey to this point has not been without drama, mind you. I've been through a  supercharger, motor (warranty) and two rear diffs (one on warranty). I'm now looking at a clutch replace, rear suspension rebuild, fuel tank leak(loose vent hose?),flush the dexcool, and..........tearing the dash out to get to the HVAC zone servo/gismo. Would i do this again OHY!!!!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/5/19 9:21 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
poopshovel again said:

One open/close cycle for the kids. I berkeleying hate sunroofs. 

Truer words have never been spoken.

It's not just me. Yay!

TrulySpooky
TrulySpooky New Reader
12/6/19 3:46 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Did you get a lemon? Or is this a common problem?

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
12/6/19 7:24 a.m.

I believe the motor was 'hurt' when i got it(9405mi) ....severe oil consumption.....now have 80k on the replacement, no issues. Supercharger, known by the factory. The diff's are a story all by themselves, and yes they are a fairly common problem. In some circles the opinion is poor assembly with the proper amount /type gear lube, and the other is improper amount of gear lube from the factory causing accelerated wear obviously. I have the second diff in the garage hoping to disassemble and determine the exact cause of failure. If at all possible would like to find a 3.42 gear set, but the little voice in my head says..........errrr good luck with that.  Lemon....I don't think so after hearing what other owner's have gone through. If more issues had presented themselves on a regular basis, then perhaps yes. Drive it every day and lovin' it!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PJ9398gh3dGk7aK87TYLgwql7bB9LAqhN1TjRyZzZ465obUVWacDpCLVWdb9zcsO