JohnLClark
JohnLClark New Reader
6/29/18 9:03 p.m.

My father died when I was a teenager in the mid 80's.  Since then,  I have come to find out from some relatives that he owned in their words, some interesting cars.  All I know is he had is a 64 Impala coupe for sure.  Is there at way to find out what somebody owned without the vin numbers,  or any type of records? 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/29/18 9:55 p.m.

If any of the family has old photo albums with pics of the cars in them you could scan & post the pic the forum and someone will identify the car faster than you'd expect.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
6/30/18 8:02 a.m.

Our DMV charges $1.00 to produce a record of vehicle ownership.  You fill out the form and they tell you what vehicles are registered to the name you provided.  The report also covers historic records.  I searched my name and they had me "owning" cars I'd sold in the 90s.  I also attempted to find the VIN of a Triumph TR3 and '72 Ford Gran Torino my Dad owned in the early 80s.  They didn't have record of either, but I suspect they do on microfiche.  So, results may not be perfect, but it's an option.

Rons
Rons New Reader
6/30/18 9:30 a.m.

Are you able to search your dad's old papers for bill of sale, registration, or invoices that may have a vin?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/30/18 10:48 a.m.

My dad never threw out any paperwork, we were able to document all the cars he owned all the way back to a used '32 Ford he bought in 1936.  smiley

JohnLClark
JohnLClark New Reader
6/30/18 1:39 p.m.

I checked and there is no paperwork on any past cars.  We moved a few times after he died and it was thrown away in the moves.  I live in Pennsylvania.  I will check and see if they offer the service you mention Apis Mellifera.  The few photos I did find of him with cars were not with his cars so that was no help. Although I found out my uncle owned 1974 Corvette.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u8ebK1k6I5Uz4cW1c4xfhyh6Cr7kevtcJfvGXSCKT9qCLnutn25fKkIDN85b8gFp