Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/16/21 6:16 p.m.

SWMBO wants to buy me a dash cam for the BRZ for Xmas.  She shared a $120 one she saw on Amazon but I figured I'd see what the hive likes these days...

I bought this one July 2019 for the Crosstrek after recommendations here:

ROAV DashCam on Amazon

ROAV DashCam S1, by Anker, Dash Cam, Dashboard Camera, Full HD 1080p Resolution, 60 fps, NightHawk Vision, Sony Starvis Sensor, Built-In GPS, Wi-Fi, Wide-Angle Lens, 2-Port Charger, 32GB microSD Card

But being almost 2.5 years later I'm wondering if something better has come along?  (I see Amazon says it's currently unavailable anyway, either out of stock like many other things or maybe discontinued)

What do you guys like?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/16/21 6:54 p.m.

Information overload... 

https://dashcamtalk.com/

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/16/21 9:45 p.m.

I bought this one, plus the rear facing camera in July. It has to have the SD card formatted occasionally, and I've never pulled a video from it, but it's still working. The heat kills them fast here. 

Edit: Amazon link is broken. 

The camera is:

Blueskysea 4K Dash Cam, 3840x2160P Ultra HD Car Dash Camera w/ WiFi, GPS, 8MP Sensor, 3.16" Wide Screen, Night Vision, Wide Angle, Buffered Parking Mode, Motion Detection, G-Sensor

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/17/21 5:46 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I bought this $150 Pormido dash/backup cam combo off Amazon & it's great https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZF9FK6W. I honestly expected it to be junk, but it's just the opposite. Everything from the packaging, the components themselves, the instructions, operation, and the completeness of the whole kit really impressed me. It can also be wired to use as a parking monitor too.

Oh, and their customer service too - they had an offer that if I "registered my warranty"(which I figured meant "let them sell off my email address") I had a choice of a few different free accessories for it. I was surprised to actually be communicating with a real person, and even more surprised when it arrived a couple days later.

I realize you probably don't need the backup cam feature, but we're really considering getting one of these for each of our vehicles, even the ones that already have a backup cam. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/17/21 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Your link and Doc's above aren't working for some reason, yet the website link and my Amazon link are working.  Weird.  I'll try them at home (at work now).

RedGT
RedGT Dork
11/17/21 8:40 a.m.

Pete's link is super borked, but copying it and pulling out the relevant part, it's this one:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZF9FK6W

And Doc's link, same issue, seems like the forum might be breaking them:  Edit, fixed, see below/above.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/17/21 8:55 a.m.

In reply to RedGT :

I edited my post, took out the link and replaced it with a description and a screenshot. 

Your link is to a Vantrue camera, the one I have is a BlueSeaSky. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/17/21 12:27 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

Thanks! I updated my post with your link. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
11/17/21 2:00 p.m.

Thanks for the fixes!  I'll check them out tonight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GQE1fuRmBaVgEK7WIB2ti07JSo2Thgneb6ug9aeGqHrAP7jfzryIKI2x1AuHZY2Q