Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/6/20 6:30 p.m.

I am working to swap an ecotec into a Mercedes 190e. I have it so it almost fits. So close. 

I switched to this type of oil pan and trimmed the fins back. 

I still need 1-2" for it to fit, over the subframe and steering arms. so I am thinking of cutting into the front subframe, I have trimmed the "lip" where the two stamped pieces come together. But still is too big. 

what is the best way to do this? Just cut it down to where I need it, and then box it back in at the lower hight with the same thickness of steel? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/6/20 6:33 p.m.

Can you get a view showing the crossmember looking at it from the transmission tunnel?  Then mark up where you want to cut?

Without having that, I think your plan sounds reasonable as of now.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/6/20 6:37 p.m.

Instead of just boxing it back in, when i did the miata i cut a few pieces of 1x1 square tube. Plug welded through the existing crossmember at a ludicrous number of places,  stitch welded them together,  etc. Pretty much tried to make a honeycomb or steel inside the sectioned crossmember. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/6/20 7:08 p.m.

Tack weld some sort or bracing/reinforcement so that when you cut out part of the crossmember, it doesn't spring into some weird new location.  It's surprising the stresses that are in a component. Remove when done.

drock25too
drock25too Reader
12/6/20 7:10 p.m.

If you can cut it out smooth, you may be able to flip it over and weld it back in. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/6/20 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Pics?  Can't reeally picture it

12/6/20 8:21 p.m.

Good advice from all. Thanks.  

I will try to get some better pictures later this week. 

before I cut the top back I will try to weld some angle iron on the bottom. 

12/6/20 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I like this idea. Do you recall what thickness of metal you used? 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/20 5:23 a.m.

As far as pictures,  i haven't found any yet. Still looking,  but not hopeful at this point. It was 1x1, about 1/8 wall if i remember correctly. Sorry, its been a few years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wfB3TD1UkE4gFokFO0RimBN8CkVur2AFJIca3q3UnKZENfD2d6djpfRxIOILZFIL