Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/6/22 11:03 a.m.

I got a little eager with applying heat to a stuck bolt while replacing struts.  I melted the CV Joint Boot and now it's puke it guts (grease) everywhere. 

I'm going to attempt an "in-place" repair without removing the axle assembly.  What type of boot should I go with?  Anyone have first hand experience with this?

(It's a second generation Prius.)

Something like this:

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/6/22 11:31 a.m.

I remember seeing some that had tabs along the seam that you would bolt together with some small hardware.   Felt more trustworthy than glue but maybe nla?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/6/22 11:36 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

I remember seeing some that had tabs along the seam that you would bolt together with some small hardware.   Felt more trustworthy than glue but maybe nla?

Old Aircooled VW bugs had that style

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/6/22 11:44 a.m.

I'd look into how easy it is to pull the axle before trying to avoid it. I recently had to change a boot on the WJ and it was remarkably straightforward thanks to a bolt-on hub design. And, I'll admit, a straight axle. But I'd been dreading the job until I checked out the procedure.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/6/22 12:31 p.m.

They may have improved since I gave up on split boots over a decade ago but back then none of them were worth a darn.  I would have just pulled the axle and fixed it right while I had the front end apart to replace the strut.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/6/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I may end up pulling it eventually.  But only in hind-sight (after the test drive) did I notice I had accidentally cooked the boot.

I need a temporary solution to get me through until time is available again to do it right.  (we're relying on this car for daily transportation)

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/6/22 1:13 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to APEowner :

I may end up pulling it eventually.  But only in hind-sight (after the test drive) did I notice I had accidentally cooked the boot.

I need a temporary solution to get me through until time is available again to do it right.  (we're relying on this car for daily transportation)

I get that.  I'd use one of the bolt together ones.  In my experience they're no better than the glue together ones but they don't have the frustration of trying to keep the edge of the grease filled boot clean while you try and apply the glue.

Actually, if the car is old enough and has high enough mileage to need struts what I'd probably do is just run as is until it make noise and put a complete rebuilt axle in it.  Not that it's a good idea but that's probably what I'd do.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
6/6/22 1:38 p.m.

Are these split boot kits the same for the inner joint and the outer? It looks like it to me. My Speed3 needs an inner boot. It would be worth a try. The car doesn't get driven much so maybe it will last a year or two.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/6/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I believe the traditional material for this temporary repair is electrical tape. Doesn't work, never has, but people keep trying...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/6/22 1:57 p.m.

It will take less time to replace the axle than to fiddle around with one of those split boots.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
6/6/22 6:13 p.m.

Saran wrap and zip ties till you can get to it.  Then pull the axle and reboot

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/6/22 6:57 p.m.
mikeatrpi said:

Saran wrap and zip ties till you can get to it.  Then pull the axle and reboot

Great minds think alike.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/7/22 8:05 a.m.

So, looks like the consensus is don't bother with the split boot at all.

I guess I'll just order a replacement shaft assembly and keep it on the shelf until I get time to install it, or it starts making noise (then I'll make time for the installation)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/7/22 8:22 a.m.

My prediction is that if the plastic wrap makes it 6 days then it will make it 6 months.  So, I'd get the shaft ordered and either by the end of the week or the end of summer it will be going on.  I expect Thanksgiving rolls around and you are saying, "there's no way that will survive the winter, I should change it before it gets too cold outside to work easily."  

On the other hand, that's a lot of grease gone.  Its rare that anything is made with too much product anymore so even if the wrap holds, the lack of grease could be the real problem going forward

Don't worry, the CV will speak to you when its time to "get it done!"  

On another note, with various Prius with over 200k miles, I have never had to replace a half shaft.  Actually, these cars amaze me that they never need front end work other than wheel bearings and struts.  I have never replaced a ball joint, tie rod or a sway bar link.  

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/7/22 8:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I believe the traditional material for this temporary repair is electrical tape. Doesn't work, never has, but people keep trying...

Just means no one has used the right amount of tape.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/7/22 8:58 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I was shocked last night when researching: Rock Auto lists a brand new right side assembly for $45.79 plus shipping.

Not much more than buying a split boot or regular replacement boot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCpBrgTm4yrqqnM6LZPDcaI5tx37f5IrHB3u6uX947rxR4Yz7TDktejQAF31aCvZ