Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/11 12:42 p.m.

Wife's car (affectionately called "Teh Turd") died. First time in 3.5 years and 83k miles that it has failed to start. Car is a 2000 Accent GL, 1.5L 5-spd. Car has 191k miles on it.

Wife called as she was heading to lunch from her training session "Car cranks but won't start." So I run up to check it out on my lunch break. Car cranks normally. Timing belt is intact, doesn't seem loose. All ECU (6) fuses are good, Fuel pump primes, even tried swapping relays for it. After extended crank, I am not getting a fuel smell which leads me to believe it's a fuel issue.

Anyone had issues of this sort that they remember the "easy" fix?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/29/11 12:43 p.m.

Check for codes.

Are you getting a cam/crank position signal?

Time for a new Elantra ;)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/11 12:47 p.m.

as much as I'd love a new car, this one we have less than $3k in since we purchased it 3.5 years ago and we still owe on the truck (the REAL truck) so no more car payments right now. Sadly I can't check anything out until late tonight when I finally drag it home.... as it's stuck in Carmel right now. Just looking for suggestions.

dkarthik
dkarthik New Reader
3/29/11 12:50 p.m.

Coils / Plugs? easy enough to check!

failboat
failboat Reader
3/29/11 1:05 p.m.

so its beta swap time amirite?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/11 1:07 p.m.

^ Is it bad that I was hoping the t-belt had snapped? lol

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/29/11 1:10 p.m.

"You're chocolate is in my peanut butter" "You're Accent is in my Carmel!"

iceracer
iceracer Dork
3/29/11 1:48 p.m.

Just find out which is missing. Fuel, ignition, compression and all at the right time. With that many miles and age any thing is possible.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
3/29/11 2:24 p.m.

Make sure it has fuel in the tank. I'm just saying. I ran out of gas in my truck one day clearly showing a quarter of a tank.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/29/11 2:28 p.m.

Simple I know, but check the distributor cap and rotor. I always start with the least expensive things to fix, and work my way up from there.

KATYB
KATYB New Reader
3/29/11 2:29 p.m.

wait for the velostar be out soon. paddleshift 6 speed manual 40 mpg and better power to wieght ratio than a base mini. sounds like a win to me.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/29/11 2:33 p.m.

Does it have gas?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/29/11 3:08 p.m.

No cap/rotor, DIS here. Yes, it has gas. Fuel pump primes. New car is out of the question. We have one car payment that we get rid of next year, and we're hoping to go 2 more years with NO car payment before replacing one of these Hyundai's.

The original plan was late this fall the wife takes over my 02 Elantra with 132k miles, I yank the aplha and 5-spd out of the accent, rebuild hte trans, Beta (2.0L Elantra engine) swap it, spings/struts sway bars, wheels and tires and a stereo (just speakers and headunit) and it would be my new DD.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
3/30/11 12:17 a.m.

On a BMW this would be a likely candidate for the crank position sensor. Injectors can't fire and spark can't go because the ecu doesn't know when to do it

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/30/11 1:05 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: as it's stuck in Carmel right now

Waddya know, I was just there earlier this month and might be back next month.

jannet90
jannet90
3/30/11 1:28 a.m.

check the distributor cap and rotor. I always start with the least expensive things to fix, and work my way up from there. real estate kerala

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
3/30/11 1:31 a.m.

You might want to check the canoe first, and see if it has any spark.

petegossett
petegossett SuperDork
3/30/11 4:50 a.m.

Totally OT, but I saw a billboard up there that read "Be IN Carmel", and my first thought was "eeeewwwww".

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/30/11 6:19 a.m.

Really sounds like a crank position sensor or cam position sensor.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/30/11 7:45 a.m.

This was it still this morning. Got it home around 9pm last night after one of the worst day's I've had in years. Boss is on vaca, busy, dealing with idiots, got word that one of our techs passed away from Pancreatic cancer (greatest Acura technician the world had ever seen and super great guy) at the age of 44. Mix that with a dead car, the winch broke reeling it up the trailer....not making this up. This was a day I'd just as soon forget.

Barbie (88 Z51 vette) is getting pressed into DD duties so fluids get changed tonight, tune-up this sat with the new shocks. At this point, I could care less about this one. So it'll sit until I'm ready, or one of the other 3 cars breaks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wo8poO452ANBnyZaTXOIvbJU6i2eytPLDHvWiMOj29r3LXPGJNI4YWVsYFF80y6c