jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
5/4/20 9:32 p.m.

so, i bought a $20 car (yes, you read that right). And of course, there are few things more expensive than a free car (or close to it). its been sitting 8 years, and it has issues, but twenty bucks is twenty bucks. 

Its got a laundry list of things i need to take care of, but i think i can handle them all. the thing i need help with is the 3 cylinder 1.8L (yep, you read that right, too). according to PO, the 3rd cylinder has either broken ring lands, or busted skirts, cause it blows oil like crazy. PO's solution was to remove the rocker arms from the head on #3, pull the injector plug and plug in a dummy injector, and run it. And, it actually runs fairly good considering the circumstances, but i have no intention of driving it like that. i want to swap the engine out. it seems to me that swapping in another NON-VTEC 1.8L is the easy button, but i keep hearing how easy this car is to swap in other engines. im told the simplest swap is the low-compression 2.0l from the CR-V, and that motor is rumored to be easy to turbo charge, which may be an option later on. im on a budget here, but if a swap is straight forward enough, i can swing a few extras to make it work. 

So, Honda people, i have a busted 1.8L non-V motor in a 90 Integra, what should i do?

-J0N

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/4/20 9:37 p.m.

Do the B20 swap. Easy button 

I had 2 da - one LS and one GSR for about 7 years. Have lots of parts - will have to dig through shed 

have b18c5 now in a 4 door 

any pics?

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
5/5/20 12:43 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Do the B20 swap. Easy button 

I had 2 da - one LS and one GSR for about 7 years. Have lots of parts - will have to dig through shed 

have b18c5 now in a 4 door 

any pics?

Yes, everything he just said, B20 from a CRV is easy and cheap.

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/5/20 1:16 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Ok, if i go 2.0 swap, then what am I looking for? Year, engine code, etc...

If you do have parts, are you local to central Ohio? I need parts. Drivers door handle, pssgr door, rear facia plate, drivers seat, etc...

Do I use my head? My sensors? Donor intakes? Is there a writeup I can read through?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/5/20 1:19 a.m.

oh, pics. She's ugly....

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/5/20 6:50 a.m.

B20 all day

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/5/20 7:04 a.m.

You want a B20 from a 99-2000 CRV.  Swap on your current manifolds, distributor, accessories.  You can get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge to bump the fuel pressure up a bit to deal with the stock ECU but larger motor.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/5/20 7:55 a.m.

We run a B20 in our Chumpcar (currently Civic, previously Integra).  As Sonic said, your intake manifold, distributor and accessories move over.  You can throw away the crank sensor on the  front of the B20 because your set up wont need it.  Your engine harness will move right over.  If your donor engine comes with an alternator, you can use that with the old harness if you get an adapter.  

We got ours from a JDM importer.  Slapped a new Tbelt and water pump on it, adjusted the valves, and have had no problems. 

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo :

I'd skip the adjustable FPR and get an OBD1 ECU that will take a chip-especially if you want to turbocharge it. You have an OBD0 ECU now-it may be chippable, but the OBD0 software isn't used much at this point (still run it on my Challenge car though). I think you'll need an OBD0 to OBD1 harness for the newer ECU, and possibly an adapter for the distributor as well. 

The nice thing about the honda community is that every concievable swap has been done before. Just google "B20B into Da9" and lots will come up. If you have specific questions after you get started there is lots of experience here too.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 9:49 a.m.

sonic already answered the details. Yours looks like like my first LS. Brings back memories . I actually had gotten a ticket for illegal taillights. Even tho oem. That's when cops were busting for altezza lights. I had to get letter from Honda USA to prove my tail lights were stock. I had the 1 piece hesdlights, blitz 01 wheels , coil overs, and hks hiper exhaust. Then I moved in the B17 DA GSR. Loved that car. 

we used to be all on OG G2ic crew 

I am not near Ohio. Out in CA. I will dig through shed, and if usable parts, I will send you free

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/5/20 10:56 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed that's the best choice, particularly long term. The FPR is just the cheapest way to get a little more fuel in it.  

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/5/20 1:09 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys. B20 seems like the go button. 

Question: does anyone have a piston or set of stock pistons for a b18 laying around? I'd like to drop in a slug and drive the car for a few days before I start throwing money at it. There might be a host of unknown issues that could turn out to be too much to deal with, and I'd like to know that before I go too far. I could drop the pan and pull the head, throw a piston in there and drive it just to get an idea of what all 8 years of sitting did to it.                                    Jon

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/5/20 1:19 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo
5/5/20 1:51 p.m.

Ad says 94-01. Will that work in a 90?

Jon

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
5/5/20 3:56 p.m.

Jon, congratulations on the Integra. Have you checked out KC Auto Parts in Lakeview? They specialize in used Honda/ Acura parts and probably have what you're looking for. Good luck with the build.

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/5/20 9:28 p.m.

thanks i checked them out. i will call tomorrow. 

-J0N

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tw969mS5Iryq33HjBXfNSGdX5FmI9veQoQU4OiO337oZmGV5bIYlSbUX5iLRj17X