MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/27/10 6:51 p.m.

So day one was supposed to last one hour. We where going to pull out the ugly wood trim and paint in black. But, evidently tearing my car apart was way more fun that computer games so instead we spent 4 hours taking the entire interior apart and (amazingly for kids) putting it back together. Got out all the sound deadening, got rid of some plastic in the engine bay, and painted the trim. The day's only major whoopsy berkeley came when one of the students accidentally spray painted my glove box door.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/27/10 7:40 p.m.

Was that before or after you hit him in the head with the hammer?

Awesome! Glad to see the kids getting involved. What is your overall game plan?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/10 9:32 p.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote:

Is that blood on that kid's glove?

lewbud
lewbud Reader
7/28/10 1:02 a.m.

Good answer. Gives plausible deniability.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/28/10 1:12 a.m.

Looks like everybody's having fun! (I know I would've loved to skive off class to tear apart a car.)

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/28/10 5:03 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Was that before or after you hit him in the head with the hammer? Awesome! Glad to see the kids getting involved. What is your overall game plan?

Before!

The overall plan is to make a serviceable track car that I can still drive on the street and that seats four so I can give the kids thrill rides. Past that, I'm asking my kids for ideas. So far they've decided my car NEEDS a red painted valve cover and shiny, grippy pedal cover thingies. Depending on how much the school will help with my budget, I might try to get a vynil wrap the kids can design too.

Tomorrow's session (weather permiting) will be about painting the interior bits we couldn't pull out completely, gutting the trunk and, if time allows, doing a tuneup.

Past that, I've got some custom coilovers on order (much cheaper in Korea than the US) and the cutting wheels ready. Need to get off my ass and arrange a welder and find a spare hood and trunk we can hack to peices. The used tire store has some decent wheels and tires I'll get later. Might do some slotted rotors too.

Oh, and I'm going to try and make a custom cold air kit that's force fed from the aformentioned hacked up hood.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/28/10 5:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
MrBenjamonkey wrote:
Is that blood on that kid's glove?

You discovered my fiendish plot ... I mean, I wonder if Korea has a fifth amendment.

BTW, not blood. It's a rubberized non stick thingy that's red out of the box.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/28/10 6:33 p.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote: So far they've decided my car NEEDS a red painted valve cover and shiny, grippy pedal cover thingies.

That's awesome!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/28/10 6:37 p.m.

How many kids you have involved so far? I mean, of course, after your 3 micro-man team was reduced to 1 (between head injuries and hand amputations), you're gonna need a few spares!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/28/10 6:39 p.m.

Do you have a target date? A racing event, a goal, etc?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/28/10 9:42 p.m.

I'm betting your kids will enjoy this:

Pimped Daewoo

and this:

Daewoo on giggle juice

Consider nitrous. They'll LOVE it, it's SUPER easy, and it's simple to remove when you are tired of it.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/29/10 7:44 a.m.

awesome man... if you can't breed the next generation of enthusiasts.. do the next best thing, corrupt somebody elses

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/29/10 8:25 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Do you have a target date? A racing event, a goal, etc?

Trying to get it done between now and the end of August. Summer vacation is only 5 weeks here.

Past that, I'm going to try and get myself a trackday here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_International_Circuit and do some autocrosses. My buddy has high ranking friends in the Korean airforce, so I might get access to an old emergency airport too.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/29/10 8:29 a.m.
SVreX wrote: How many kids you have involved so far? I mean, of course, after your 3 micro-man team was reduced to 1 (between head injuries and hand amputations), you're gonna need a few spares!

Haha, yah, the attrition rate is a bitch. But no problem, I just bribe the older students with free porn.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/29/10 8:37 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I'm betting your kids will enjoy this: Pimped Daewoo and this: Daewoo on giggle juice Consider nitrous. They'll LOVE it, it's SUPER easy, and it's simple to remove when you are tired of it.

I hadn't thought of Nitrous. A 30 shot would be fun, and more important, very dramatic and obvious for my volunteers.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/29/10 8:40 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: awesome man... if you can't breed the next generation of enthusiasts.. do the next best thing, corrupt somebody elses

It seems to work well. These kids work a lot harder for their education than I ever did. Daewoo racecars are a fun way for everybody to blow off steam. The kid with the "bloody" glove, btw, is already completely hooked.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/29/10 8:45 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I'm betting your kids will enjoy this: Pimped Daewoo

Sponsored by SUNOCO ?

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/31/10 6:27 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
SVreX wrote: I'm betting your kids will enjoy this: Pimped Daewoo
Sponsored by SUNOCO ?

Speaking of sponsorship, how loud do you think the screams of outrage would get if we decide to put an MX-5 sticker on the Daewoo?

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/31/10 10:10 a.m.

Awesome project. I find it wonderful when adults help kids learn about something they are actually interested in. These kids will be the future of our sport.

Do you have a Paypal account? I'm down to contribute to your vinyl wrap budget. I also have a few GRM stickers I can send your way. Let me know if interested.

Martin

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/31/10 8:45 p.m.
Wonkothesane wrote:
MrBenjamonkey wrote: Speaking of sponsorship, how loud do you think the screams of outrage would get if we decide to put an MX-5 sticker on the Daewoo?
Most people can't scream too loud if they're laughing so hard they pee....

I should post a picture of the Daewoo Nubira Viper GTR that parks near my house ...

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/31/10 8:47 p.m.
Marty! wrote: Awesome project. I find it wonderful when adults help kids learn about something they are actually interested in. These kids will be the future of our sport. Do you have a Paypal account? I'm down to contribute to your vinyl wrap budget. I also have a few GRM stickers I can send your way. Let me know if interested. Martin

Wow, thanks.

Check your PMs.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/1/10 5:41 a.m.

I'll kick something in too.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/1/10 9:29 p.m.

That's an extremely generous offer and I thank you very much. However, I don't feel right taking money. If you guys want to plug your businesses or something like that, I'd be much more comfortable.

Damn, this board rocks.

Our Preferred Partners
j2a44YyujdpPcaBOQKwjG49Wk6eeKUwe0jgraHM44QFfH4dnIn7b6JixruDHJ9T2