dayman
dayman New Reader
9/25/14 7:28 p.m.

Ok so here's the deal. I build motorcycles and need a way to transport them around. My current dd is a C2500 5.7 that is killing my on gas, around 11mpg, and is impossible to load a bike in the bed by myself. It sucks doing it with two people. So I have decided to go with a small trailer instead. Here is what I'm looking for...

Something that can tow around 1200lbs without struggling, has some space inside and can haul 4 people if needed. Is comfortable to drive and somewhat modern, lets say mid 1990's and newer. Less then $2k. Get's decent gas mileage(not while towing, that I don't really care about that), hopefully high teens to mid 20's. No pickups. Oh, and since it's going to be my daily driver, something good looking/cool enough to pick up a companion in.

Here's what I have seen or have considered.

Montero Sport 2wd - think it meets all criteria but I'm not sure of reliability.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Good MPG but kind of girly, and I'm not sure how 15 year old Korean build quality is holding up.

Volvo 850T estate - I had a 95 that was an awesome car to drive, but unfortunately it rusted away. Also it was a pita to work on, and parts were expensive.

Buick Roadmaster wagon - badass but might be a pain to park and deal with as a dd. And not the best mpg

2001+ Explorer sport - would rather have a 4 door

Any thoughts?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/25/14 7:48 p.m.

Just about any car you can think of should be able to tow 1200 lbs.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/25/14 7:57 p.m.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/25/14 7:58 p.m.

I'm pretty sure even a Hyundai Accent can tow 1200lbs(with trailer brakes, going by euro ratings or Uhaul algorithms).

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
9/25/14 8:00 p.m.

best cam/cord you can buy

dayman
dayman New Reader
9/25/14 9:08 p.m.

yeah... I'm sure most cars can tow 1200lbs, but I'm looking for something more interesting then a sedan, should have said that. Where can I find a 325i estate with a stick for under 2 grand? probably London. I found a ml320 for a $1000 that needs a head gasket, that's interesting, and possibly a money pit.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/26/14 5:34 a.m.

What kind of bikes?
The white BMW above hauling a BMW would be cool.
Honda Pilot hauling Honda.

Rebadged Nissan (Suzuki Equator) hauling Suzuki.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/26/14 7:46 a.m.

Not sporty and not overly impressive but a solid value for a newer vehicle...

Rated to tow 1500 lbs in 4 cyl, manual fashion and up to 3500lbs in V6 auto fashion but on the same brakes.

This one with a couple minor problems is listed at $3k and will sell for closer to $2k. Not bad for a '06.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4638622832.html
I will bet dollars to doughnuts that the shifting issue is that the shift cables need to be replaced. Less than $150 in parts.
The answer to fixing that lies within this link somewhere.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200883

The in-depth GRM thread

Seats 5 real people and still leaves ample rear cargo area. Not that old, not really embarrassing to be seen in.
I get 26mpg, combined.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/26/14 8:09 a.m.

The mk3 Supra is rated to tow 2000 lbs...

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/26/14 12:35 p.m.
I found a ml320 for a $1000 that needs a head gasket, that's interesting, and possibly a money pit.

How is that interesting? Have you driven one?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V4WmYXefNguUhPqcOC6X1jofI30kd3n95GRKHLgXlykrvLwwsJ8ku2Y0G0stJPBT