1 2
M3racer
M3racer New Reader
10/31/17 5:50 p.m.

I'm an idiot, but kind of intentionally. I had a company car but couldn't stand driving it - appliance and nothing more. Bitched and moaned about it so much boss said fine - we'll take it back and you can just have a car allowance. I knew that would happen, and sort of wanted it to, though financially it was stupid as I had everything covered with company vehicle and with the amount I drive I'll be losing money on the new deal.  

So I'm in the market for a new DD and I think I've got it narrowed down but wondering if I'm missing something worth considering.  I drive a lot (20k+miles/yr), I race an E36 M3 and have an 02 Suburban for towing, dogs, beach, etc. I want performance, driving enjoyment, something I can climb into every morning and smile, looks like something befitting a soon to be 50yo professional and not a teenager, won't kill me on maintenance (I'm capable of some but leave the big stuff to my mechanic) though I recognize you have to pay to play.  I need to come in preferably under 15,000, should consider gas mileage but performance is more important, an occasionally functional  back seat, ability to tune/increase performance over time would be nice. Oh and must be stick shift - not auto, auto manual, DCT bs, a real honest row-your-own gearbox, and drive the proper wheels (rear but would consider an AWD if it doesn't suffer torque steer). Would prefer a coupe but will consider a sedan. In Florida so no issues with snow, etc.

E43 M3 and E92 335i seem to be the answers I keep coming back to.  I looked at and enjoyed a BRZ/FRS but the back seat is absolutely useless and I thought the amount of engine noise unwarranted for a stock engine bay with that little power (if it's going to make a lot of noise there needs to be a lot more hp behind it). Subies tend to be a little too boy racer and the interiors always seem cheap to me. 

My wife is on my ass to get something produced within the last decade which makes me lean to the E92, but she understands it's not her we're trying to make happy here. 

So what say ye? Is there some awesome option I'm not considering? I welcome the thoughts, shots, barbs, and wisdom of the collective.  Thanks 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/31/17 6:21 p.m.

I would think the N54 powered 335's would be a good option. Won't look too junior racer but has plenty of options for tuning/performance

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
10/31/17 6:27 p.m.

I just went through the DD search a few months ago; my criteria were not so different from yours. I ended up with an E82, 2009 128i 6MT M-Sport with 100k miles on it, and couldn't be happier. It was well under your price cap. It's very close to the size and power-to-weight ratio of your E36 M3 (at least in stock form).

I decided to avoid the turbo BMW motors - too many issues with HPFP, DI-related carbon build-up, etc. The N51/52 makes plenty of power for my DD needs and is less problematic.

Related threads:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/hive-opinions-on-bmw-128i-please/129897/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/meet-the-new-dd-bmw-content/131335/page1/

M3racer
M3racer New Reader
10/31/17 7:06 p.m.

I have wanted to like a 1 series but just can't - the styling just doesn't do it for me.  The cars seem to tick all of the boxes in terms of performance and specs - esp a 135i - but I don't like how they look at all.  Thanks for the thought though. 

Any opinions on N55 vs N54 reliability? I know there are extensive discussions about this on bmw forums, but just curious without diving too deep into that time suck of ferreting out those opinions, whether BMW managed to address the faults of the N54 wit the N55. Note I'll never be looking for 600 hp.  Likely look for 50-100 more and stop.  

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
10/31/17 7:59 p.m.

After the research I did, none of the turbo options looked appealing, but then I have a pretty low tolerance for unreliability in my daily (by German standards, at least). I'm also quite unconcerned about power beyond the threshold of necessity for surviving the cut-and-thrust of NY commuting traffic, so the turbo motors had far more downsides than up by my standards.

Agreed that the 1 Series styling isn't exactly universally loved, but it's grown on me, and the ultra-simple (and I mean that in the best possible way) interior and driving experience more than make up for any remaining qualms. To my eye, the E9x coupes are far more ungainly, due to that vast expanse of quarter panel.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/31/17 8:30 p.m.

V6 Mustang or turbo 4 Camaro? Both over 300hp and close on 30mpg highway. New they're available for <$20k so you should be able to get a used one for a song. Heck stretch and buy a $19k new one. No it doesn't have be cache of an e46 m3 but I guarantee you spend less maintaining it. 

Challenger?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/31/17 8:46 p.m.

We all complained about our company Impalas and Trailblazers until we got on the allowance plan too so we then said we’d be happy with a base Malibu if I’m not paying for it. 

I went with a new 2011 Accord base model LX 5-speed, 4-cylinder.   I loved it for six years and 152,000 miles.  Paid $20,000 out the door and sold it for $5,500.  Looks adult and was a lot of fun.  

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/31/17 9:19 p.m.
dculberson said:

V6 Mustang or turbo 4 Camaro? Both over 300hp and close on 30mpg highway. New they're available for <$20k so you should be able to get a used one for a song. Heck stretch and buy a $19k new one. No it doesn't have be cache of an e46 m3 but I guarantee you spend less maintaining it. 

Challenger?

Actually after the other thread yeah, this right here 2.0t camaro would be a pretty sweet option, and if you want more grownup styling go for the ATS

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/1/17 7:37 a.m.

BMWs seem like a great choice, but I figured I'd toss out some other options to look at.

• Pony cars - Looks like Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers all have some options that turn up in your price range now.
  • Infiniti G35 / G37 - You may need to get the sedan version to have a usable back seat.
  • Accord coupe with manual transmission - Not an easy one to find, but they're out there and could be had in some years with an allegedly sporty suspension.
Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/1/17 8:09 a.m.

They did make a few Acura TLs with a manual transmission up until 2014 I think.  Reliable, lower cost to own and lower maintenance than BMWs, sweet spot for clients between being too showey and too old/crappy. 

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
11/1/17 8:27 a.m.

I'm looking at that set of requirements and keep coming back to G35/G37 or the 04-08 Acura TL Type S.  There were WRX variants that came without the big spoiler, if that doesn't stretch the definition of "looks like a professional should be climbing out of it and not a teenager" too far.  Maybe a Mazdaspeed6?

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
11/1/17 8:44 a.m.

As far as I know, the N55 is a bit more reliable compared to the N54, buuuttt I still didn't wanna gamble it and picked up an E61 with the N52...

Besides the "lack of power" and mediocre MPG, it's not too bad.

The G37s are getting pretty damn cheap at this point. Even in my overpriced area, they're around $12k. G35s are obviously even cheaper.

Just recently sold my '08 Accord LX with a 5-speed manual for $5,500. Wasn't the least bit enjoyable but ate miles like it was cool and the MPG was decent enough. I'd suggest you find the unicorn Accord v6 with a manual as the autos tend to grenade at some point. The v6 did come with a timing belt as opposed to the chain in the i4, though.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/1/17 8:51 a.m.

How about a Ford Focus ST?

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
11/1/17 10:23 a.m.

Not sure how you feel about hatches, but maybe a VW R32? Haven't seen it listed, but also don't know too much about them reliability wise.

I would second (or third) the G37 idea, as they came in a manual for the 2 and 4-door variant. Lexus made the IS250 with a manual, but might not have the hp you're looking for. TL Type-S is a great car (and came in manual), but is FWD. I think Mercedes made the C250 with a manual as well, but having never driven one of those with three pedals I'm not sure if it is a sporting experience.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
11/1/17 10:32 a.m.

I was going to suggest the e90 335d, as it is the one I keep considering, but it only comes in auto. 

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
11/1/17 11:42 a.m.

My father-in-law had a 335d for a time. He ended up getting rid of it because it rode too stiffly for him (he has some back problems). I drove it on a couple of occasions - I enjoyed it, but I don't think a manual would have improved that particular experience.  I also remember that he bought it from CarMax with the warranty, and made use of that warranty enough to make it worth it.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
11/1/17 11:52 a.m.

The OP specified in the first post that it must "... and drive the proper wheels (rear but would consider an AWD if it doesn't suffer torque steer)," so I don't think some of these suggestions are going to fly.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
11/1/17 12:59 p.m.
02Pilot said:

The OP specified in the first post that it must "... and drive the proper wheels (rear but would consider an AWD if it doesn't suffer torque steer)," so I don't think some of these suggestions are going to fly.

Ha. Whoops.

So really that leaves the G35/7, E9x, and a Camarostang.

All offer a back seat with the option of a stick. All are in the $15k price range; 3v GTs are, the 5th gen SS should be extremely close at this point. All are reletively easy to work on and/or make faster.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/1/17 1:54 p.m.

Yep, the interior is pretty cheap, especially compared to a BMW.  And it doesn't have the mature look that even a GTI would give you.  But let's face it, you are going to be putting on a lot of miles and your top priority is enjoying the drive.  For rowing your own gears, attacking on ramps with aggression, trail braking onto corners and dispatching traffic with aplomb,  you want a Fiesta ST.  You know the feeling you get after a lapping session or autocross run?  Imagine that every time you go to work or the store  Yep.  Get one while you still can.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/1/17 2:01 p.m.

Pontiac GTO?  Real back seat (compared to the camaro/mustang) and genuine LS power.  Surely the CTS in something short of the V would be cheap enough and nicely entertaining.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
11/1/17 2:08 p.m.

The GTO isn't a bad choice, either. Loved the seats in mine.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/1/17 2:15 p.m.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/08-g8-gt-bolt-on-m6-6-speed/6314680292.html

RWD, stick, 4 door, grown up (ish).  The G8 might be a good choice as well.

STM317
STM317 Dork
11/2/17 6:12 a.m.

If I were putting 20k a year on a vehicle, sporting pretense would fall behind comfort and ride quality on the priority list. Get a mobile couch and just chill out.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
11/2/17 8:26 a.m.
STM317 said:

If I were putting 20k a year on a vehicle, sporting pretense would fall behind comfort and ride quality on the priority list. Get a mobile couch and just chill out.

I do about 30k a year, and it's a hybrid for me. Most if it is in my na miata which I find fairly comfortable, and also fairly sporty, but not fully either one. It also slips through traffic quite well being so small. ;) 

I drove my buddy's e46 the other day and I'm pretty sure my na miata has more leg room...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/2/17 8:39 a.m.

I spent $480 on fuel last month for my Silverado + I have a $425 payment + $75 for insurance.

I will end up with $995 total for vehicle expenses for the month. 

A Fiesta sounds good some days.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QLyxopfQCMIFTBdcarfDnWxvyUWlzfneRZLbpzOsmX7lUgscxhlyjiPTYIDm044H