1 2
aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
1/5/10 8:55 p.m.

It's running right now.

It's been in S. America since at least last year due to armed attacks on entrants in previous African events. So there's really no "Dakar" in it anymore.

Anyway:

~Here is the 2010 course~

~Here is the Present Standings~ (for cars....VW is doing well).

~A Video From Today~

The Sainz TDI from last year.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
1/5/10 8:58 p.m.

Also, Russians are winning in truck class with their Kamaz trucks.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/5/10 9:56 p.m.

Now that is some off roading I could get into

Then again I have an urge to off-road race a striped-turbo'd-surplus HMMWV. After all, it was designed for fast travel over rough terrain, IIRC.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
1/6/10 12:03 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Also, Russians are winning in truck class with their Kamaz trucks.

KAMAZ!

Good stuff!

Any particular channel?

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
1/6/10 1:18 a.m.

It's on Versus every day at 3:30 and I think 7:30...

Also check out RobbyGordon.com

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/6/10 6:53 a.m.
1slowcrx wrote: It's on Versus every day at 3:30 and I think 7:30... Also check out RobbyGordon.com

Awesome tip. Thank you!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
1/6/10 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Thanks for the update I will have to check in on this.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
1/6/10 8:47 a.m.

I love watching those trucks race. Truck racing has the same "can't take my eyes off it" appeal as a drag queen fight at the local martini bar.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/6/10 8:51 a.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps wrote: In reply to Woody: Thanks for the update I will have to check in on this.

Credit goes to 1SlowCRX and aeronca65t

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
1/6/10 8:54 a.m.

Go to the Robbie Gordon site and look at the pics of the support trucks...

I want one of THOSE!

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
1/6/10 11:22 a.m.

Yes, the time for Robbie Gordon to again overstate the 2WD vs. 4WD pros and cons. Gawd, what would it take to get another 'Merican on the Dakar that doesnt act like a child when conditions or equipment are less than ideal (like Jonah Street on the bikes acts quite well) However, Gordon's interviews are definitely more upbeat and in general more positive than in the two years previous.

More Truck and Quad coverage, less time chatting about what tires work and don't (at least don't say it 15 times in a 1/2 hour).

Versus has definitely stepped up also with a central broadcast center and much shorter intros, less repeated footage within the 1/2 hour.

Eric G

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
1/6/10 7:05 p.m.

We don't get Versus here in the great white north. Outdoor Live Network was carrying the Versus feed last year but not this year. Somehow a sad face icon doesn't cover it.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
1/6/10 7:46 p.m.

Ehh, you can say what you will about Robby Gordon but he has been shafted more then once by rules in the SCORE off road series and he is the coolest of the NASCRAP bunch IMO.

I do agree though that if you know a 4wd car will be better... Why not build one?

The Hummer is pretty badass though. I would love to have one!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/6/10 7:54 p.m.

gawd... is he stil racing that stupid ass hummer...

ugh.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
1/6/10 8:24 p.m.

lol, the stupid ass hummer won the special today ;-)

Besides, it's not a berkeleying hummer. It's a trophy truck with a box shaped body...

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
1/6/10 8:34 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Also, Russians are winning in truck class with their Kamaz trucks.

This is the most awesome thing i have seen in weeks! That is a whole lot of fast moving vehicle.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/6/10 8:36 p.m.
1slowcrx wrote: lol, the stupid ass hummer won the special today ;-) Besides, it's not a berkeleying hummer. It's a trophy truck with a box shaped body...

there is one hummer racer.

His first name is Rod His last name is Hall.

all others are poseurs.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/6/10 10:06 p.m.

The "Hummer" has at least been trimmed down for this year. It's definitely narrower, and possibly shorter in the wheel base, too.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
1/6/10 11:07 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
1slowcrx wrote: lol, the stupid ass hummer won the special today ;-) Besides, it's not a berkeleying hummer. It's a trophy truck with a box shaped body...
there is one hummer racer. His first name is Rod His last name is Hall. all others are poseurs.

I checked out Rod Hall and it is pretty cool. I still don't see how you can call someone winning specials in the Dakar Rally a poser though.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
1/6/10 11:36 p.m.
mkiisupra wrote: Gawd, what would it take to get another 'Merican on the Dakar that doesnt act like a child when conditions or equipment are less than ideal (like Jonah Street on the bikes acts quite well)

We got a Canadian in a factory backed Bowler next year

http://rally4life.org/

BTW, Mark is a very cool guy, I've been racing against him for 3 years now, and he is definitely one of the nicest rallyists out there! I can't wait to see him at the Dakar, and hopefully raise the money and awareness for his cause that he is aiming for

Wally
Wally SuperDork
1/7/10 12:41 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Go to the Robbie Gordon site and look at the pics of the support trucks... I want one of THOSE!

When i win the Lottery I'm having one built.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/7/10 8:25 a.m.

I have to congratulate Robbie Gordon on his stage win. He is a pretty nice guy in person, at least to the fans faces. I have not heard much about it, other than him being kind of a whiner.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
1/7/10 12:29 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: I have to congratulate Robbie Gordon on his stage win. He is a pretty nice guy in person, at least to the fans faces. I have not heard much about it, other than him being kind of a whiner.

Actually I was quite surprised and elated that Gordon did score a stage win, I just see his interviews as a 'glass half empty' type. No matter what the experience (and he has much experience and success) I guess I just expect someone of his stature to be more enthused about this awesome opportunity. A couple of years ago in Africa, he had a bad time, and his interviews showed it. Since he got most of the broadcasts airtime, I expected a happier camper.

Eric G

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
1/7/10 1:13 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I love watching those trucks race. Truck racing has the same "can't take my eyes off it" appeal as a drag queen fight at the local martini bar.

Thanks...now I need a new keyboard.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/7/10 5:54 p.m.

It's always good to hear Toby Moody again. That Ralph Sheheen year was painful.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lWV2cuNtLJ9Gg7MYRdWQf9SEbVO3tfckQwVnGw2ALNGFoiJBqj7pjlLvwG7e4ipu