1 2 3
Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/9/20 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C (Forum Supporter) :

FYI: The Shelby was it's own model in 1989 and was never a convertible and was converted by Shelby to V8 power using some larger truck parts and some custom/pre-production bits.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/9/20 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

I backed out before I actually went to look at the truck that a friend had recently gotten cheap as part of another deal. It may have just been a sport that was falsely referred too as a shelby or some other funkiness was going on. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/9/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, more than likely.  The Shelby body and interior parts are easy to retrofit to another rig and there are companies selling replacement decals for the outside, etc.

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/9/20 6:32 p.m.

I had a '94, Club Cab, 2wd, 5.2, auto, 3.90, from '02 to '14.  My father bought it new.  Back when I was learning all I could about these, I think I learned that Chrysler re-engineered the front end, as in lengthened it plus other stuff, to fit the 318 in '91.  Swapping a V8 into a pre-91 might require some thought, but the Google-verse has probably already done that thought. On my '94. the V8 definitely sat well forward, which made easy to work on.  Also, V8 trucks got the 9.25" rear, which I bet this V6 truck doesn't have.  If you can get away with it inspection-wise, Imy low budget recommendation is a junkyard 360 Magnum with a Performer RPM and Q-jet (yes, on a Mopar).

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/9/20 6:47 p.m.

Dude... you have to snag that!!!

They are rare and cool, even if the V6 is a bit pukey. A Magnum 5.2 or 5.9 would plop right in there, and they are cheap to boot. When I was a kid, there were a couple of those around town, since we had a Dodge dealer right in town. There's still a red one roaching around that I see from time to time. My dad had a 1987 Dakota, but it was a first-year carbed 3.9 and it was pretty terrible. The later ones were better. But man, it was a looker! 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/9/20 8:15 p.m.

Wheels, paint and a mildly modded aluminum 5.3 would be an awesome way to make a home depot run or date night

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
8/9/20 9:04 p.m.

I was thinking turbo dodge power would be super cool.

So, did they take the offer yet?

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/9/20 9:32 p.m.

I dont know why i got rid of this truck. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/20 7:27 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I was thinking turbo dodge power would be super cool.

So, did they take the offer yet?

Not yet. We'll see what happens. 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/10/20 8:34 a.m.

Rare to begin with, REALLY rare to find not completely rotted or full of water.

I'd kill for one of those. My vehicular outages at the moment are A) truck and B) convertible. The thought of both in one is almost too exciting to bear. Buy this, and then let us all know when you tire of it, because selfish.

8/10/20 5:05 p.m.

So, guy is hard set on $700.

If anyone wants it, im going to pass. I just want to see it saved. 

Error404
Error404 Reader
8/10/20 7:37 p.m.

I have been watching this thread for a while, very intrigued because I had a '95 Dakota with the 5.2 Magnum for a few years. I since gave it to my folks and I'm probably going to be fixing it up for them starting in a few weeks. Anywho.... I am seriously considering a fly 'n drive or even bringing it back behind the '95. I know the '95 and it would easily hold 80mph the whole way day. A quick brake job and I'd feel decently comfortable doing it, too.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/10/20 7:57 p.m.

Me: “Hey you’ve  talked about how it would be fun to have a convertible, what about a drop top Dakota?”

Her: “Um, no. It looks like a truck that’s trying to be a Jeep and failing miserably.”

Oh well. At least she has opinions about cars.

Error404
Error404 Reader
8/10/20 8:02 p.m.

No, her sole comment was the same as what I keep telling myself. We don't have room, the garage is full and her mother would kill me if I let her father "store" it there. All very solid points for which I really have no argument. I still want it and I'm working on a loophole to convince both myself and her, because she'll likely be driving me at some point in this.

8/10/20 8:30 p.m.

I was apparently a little premature. Need to talk to dad more....

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/10/20 9:43 p.m.

$700 aint bad.

8/10/20 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

Kinda what dad said. Dad also reminded me of the 68 charger i passed on in 2001 for $500 as it "wasn't an r/t so not worth rust repair "

He also reminded me that munchkin is getting into old oddball mopars.

Dunno yet. Gonna sleep on it. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/10/20 11:16 p.m.

It's a 2 door rear wheel drive, body on frame convertible that was available from the factory with a v8,  for less than a grand.  How can you lose?

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/11/20 1:43 p.m.

Hell, get it for 700, get running and cleaned up and if you do not like, sell it for lots more money....heck buy it and some of the nut jobs on here will take it off your hands after a week or two....

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/11/20 1:50 p.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid :

X2

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
8/11/20 2:28 p.m.

Buy it, get it running, then sell it to me please. I'll Challenge it I swear. 

I mean just look at this. Radwood all over it.

This 1990 Dodge Dakota Is Not Your Typical Convertible For Auction

1989 DODGE DAKOTA CONVERTIBLE SPORT SUPER SHARP RARE CONVERTIBLE ...

8/11/20 2:41 p.m.

So, assuming that i buy it an don't like it, does it make me a dick to flip for good profit? I just fear being "that guy"

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
8/11/20 2:53 p.m.

If you do it will be a better fate for the truck than sitting and rotting like it is now. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/11/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

You're not doing nothing. Keep track of your time and try to recoupe $50-$100 per hour. This rate covers your maybe needed truck and trailer as well as your skilled/mechanical labor.

Whoever gets the truck from you will get it in better shape than you found it. It is very reasonable that there be a cost associated with that improvement and efforts. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/11/20 3:17 p.m.

hell, even if you do nothing with it after buying and offer it on here for sale, its going to a good home to one of the nuts on here. I seen at least one person that would take it off your hands. Win win in this case. You get to save a cool truck and get an idea of whats it like and then one of the nuts comes with cash to pick it up and get it running again. You make a couple of bucks, the truck is saved, someone gets a cool toy and it shows up to the challenge this year or next.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AEhMViDzijwD8nLy9aJvjNnecmIrFxjFKdvCrI8IA91LkPpjxxpHwHVhFx9kvFvW