1 2 3
maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/28/19 8:57 p.m.

Amiright or is this the whiskey talking?

I haven't figured out what to do with Datsaniti since the Challenge. My SCCA region might be moving their rallycross events to Atlanta Motor Speedway, which is only 25 miles from me. That's drivable-on-snow-tires distance.

Also found this: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/609168-350z-rally-car.html. Guy put G35 sedan springs in his 350z as a lift kit, then went rallycrossin'.

Also the springs/struts are way too easy to swap on this car, so theoretically I could keep my "autocross" cut springs on their own struts, and keep a "rallycross" stock spring on a different set of struts. I'm already running dirt track shocks in the rear mounted independently of the spring. That means no spring compressors to swap between low and high mode.

What else would you need to rallycross an autocross car? Craigslist snow tires? (super cheap here in the South) Disconnect the rear sway bar? Fenderwell liners? Some kind of positive pressure device for interior dust? Better decision making?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/28/19 8:59 p.m.

Your math is correct.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/28/19 9:11 p.m.

iirc a lady now owns that Z and still rallycrosses it. From my research the main issue is the plastic front core/radiator support just not up to the task and is known to crack just pulling over a parking space stopper. but since iirc you have a real core support you should be fine.

I would at least do a skid plate and maybe mud flaps so you dont destroy the paint. And you will be in MR anyway so just buy some rallycross tires. also the other rallycross people should chime in soon. Also no steel wheels.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/28/19 10:03 p.m.

Only thing I can think of is raising and lowering might mess with the alignment. 

adam525i
adam525i Reader
12/29/19 8:50 a.m.

Do you ever get sick of winning on this forum? Just curious, can't wait to see pics of Datsaniti in the dirt. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/29/19 9:55 a.m.

What about circle track steel wheels? Surely those are stronger than OEM steelies and can handle the abuse?

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/29/19 9:58 a.m.

They might be better, but I'd say you're better off with alloys.  If you use cheap ones, just monitor for fatigue cracks.  Unlike a steel wheel that can deform and pull over the lugs if over-loaded, any decently strong alloy is unlikely to go from fine to failed that quickly.  Usually you'd start to see cracks and other signs of stress before outright failure. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/29/19 10:31 a.m.

most regions are a straight no to steel wheels

dps214
dps214 Reader
12/29/19 10:44 a.m.

Are you done with using it for the challenge any other use where you want it to be clean, or doing substantial work on it? Because it will never be clean or free of dirt in every possible place dirt can get ever again. And no matter how well you clean it you'll always get a face full of dirt any time you're underneath it working on it. If you're fine with that, go for it. Don't overthink it, stock height suspension and snow tires (not on steel wheels as mentioned) is all you need.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/29/19 10:48 a.m.

depending on the surface normal tires might be better than snows. But that is region and condition specific 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
12/29/19 11:21 a.m.

Radiator too low?

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/29/19 11:27 a.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Radiator too low?

with g35 sedan springs i doubt it. even on its current set up i doubt its lower than any of the miatas that are likely to be running. At least looking from pics from the build thread

looks like a good enough lower rad support to mount a skid plate to. which i 100% would with the rad low in front like that.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
12/29/19 11:37 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

If that's the case, I've got nothing. Send It!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/29/19 12:32 p.m.

I'll ask my region about circle track wheels. Either that or more dang Jeep wheels...What about spacers? Are they typically allowed?

I'm pretty confident about the radiator support. I've accidentally bashed it when loading the tilt-deck tow dolly. It held up good. Here's a better shot:

As for long-term plans, I would like to do a track day at Road Atlanta and finish killing this set of Hoosiers at local autocrosses. I don't have serious national-level autocross aspirations. But rallycross has always been appealing, and this car has been my vehicle of exploration into other forms of motorsports already.

Well, this escalated quickly. This morning I picked up 2 sedan front strut/spring combos at the JY and a set of lightly used 195/65R15 snow tires from FB. Oops. I already have some uncut sedan rear springs in the stash.

Simulated 2" lift:

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/29/19 1:09 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

What about circle track steel wheels? Surely those are stronger than OEM steelies and can handle the abuse?

Good luck finding 15x6 circle track wheels, even if they weren't designed to bend.

25 miles you can drive on rally tires.  No sense screwing around with winter tires unless they are new..

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/29/19 1:20 p.m.
Knurled. said:

25 miles you can drive on rally tires.  No sense screwing around with winter tires unless they are new..

The snows are still a reasonable starting point if they were cheap enough.  Can always spend up for something better if he decides to keep going with it. 

79rex
79rex Reader
12/29/19 1:53 p.m.

What snows are those?  They look gnarly

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/29/19 2:50 p.m.

These are MagnaGrip Wintermarks, which seem to be a low end Goodyear brand. For $25 a tire this is an easy way to dip my toes in. These should fit on 15x7, which has many options including Jeep alloys and circle track steelies. Summit has brand new circle track wheels for $50. I'll wait to see what my local SCCA says.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/29/19 3:04 p.m.

They look a little old and shiny, might not be a bad idea to "scrub them in" driving around town, to get the shine off, then hit them up with a few applications of Track Claw.  They make buffing/scrubbing wheels for angle grinders for this purpose, but they're remarkably expensive.

Compound is as or more important than pattern, shiny old snow tires are basically all-seasons.  They'll hold air, but if you're going to the lengths of buying a dedicated wheel/tire set, why not try for more?

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/29/19 3:18 p.m.
Knurled. said:

, but if you're going to the lengths of buying a dedicated wheel/tire set, why not try for more?

especially since it will be running in MR anyway

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/29/19 4:55 p.m.

Baby steps guys! I'm not ready to spend real money yet. Top notch enabling though, which I appreciate.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/29/19 5:08 p.m.

we enable for more people rallycrossing

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/29/19 5:51 p.m.

Track Claw is cheap smiley  Scrubbing-in is free, and you already bought those tires so you may as well try to make them work.

I highly, strongly, bigly recommend aluminum wheels and not steel of any flavor.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/29/19 5:59 p.m.

I do think 350z/g35's are the next big rwd rallycross chassis since there is only really the miata. And the drift guys made the aftermarket decent for them

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/29/19 9:30 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

These are MagnaGrip Wintermarks, which seem to be a low end Goodyear brand. For $25 a tire this is an easy way to dip my toes in. These should fit on 15x7, which has many options including Jeep alloys and circle track steelies. Summit has brand new circle track wheels for $50. I'll wait to see what my local SCCA says.

They are sold under the Kelly Tire brand, FWIW. 

I would not use circle track wheels for any reason, personally. they'll be bent in short order if the course is rough at all.

Also, I can't speak for Atlanta, but your radiator and that little core support would be toast in our region (and our region isn't considered rough) unless you plan to make the car considerably taller. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hJ6XCODhfkc5jBXgkktsXwiam2wEzNG1TFcDTjw7XpcwaEuJNqxQjMY9oJ2GyP5L