David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/8/19 10:49 p.m.

Please bring these tires stateside.

Thank you.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
11/8/19 10:55 p.m.

I second this motion. Please we need these. Many of us are stuck without good tires for our small wheeled cars. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/8/19 10:57 p.m.

Bring back the A008R and I may have to put the 13s back on the CRX.

Of course, I already have them on the Mini.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/9/19 6:20 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Thank you.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/9/19 6:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Bring back the A008R and I may have to put the 13s back on the CRX.

Of course, I already have them on the Mini.

I've had multiple sets of A008Rs, but I'd really just like to have a set of original A008s.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/9/19 6:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Please bring these tires stateside.

Thank you.

I promise to order a set of A008Ps TODAY if you can make this happen. I even have a set of 80's-Perfect wheels waiting for them.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/9/19 6:31 a.m.

I’m guessing they don’t import them because they are no longer DOT approved.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/9/19 6:59 a.m.

I used to pull a small trailer behind my autocross GTI. I had 008Rs on the trailer and the car. The trailer took off ramps very well.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
11/9/19 8:57 a.m.

David,

Thank you!  Please keep nudging the company in our direction.  Next, what distributor can we start hounding to take on the inventory?

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
11/9/19 9:33 a.m.

Ask them to bring the A034 back as well, please.

David S. Wallens
11/9/19 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

I see they offer the 245/45R16. How well will that fit inside the standard SC/3.2L Carrera rear fenders? 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
11/9/19 10:58 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

I'm curious about that too. What would prevent you from just ordering them overseas and shipping them here?  Especially on an older car, I can't imagine an inspector even checking it. 

-Rob

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/9/19 11:01 a.m.

That's how a lot of Minis with 12" and 13" wheels get their tires. Heck, Minimania even imports them. They'll tell you what markings they DO have, but not what markings they don't.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/9/19 11:43 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I don’t think they will fit. I have a set of 225/55s in my barn and I’ve been told that the front fenders need to be rolled or they will rub, at least on a car at Euro height. The rears should have plenty of room though. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/9/19 11:50 a.m.

I think I still have a set mounted. My Porsche loved 008s. Back in the day we did a side by side comparison in a test and tune day with the BFGs and although there was no difference in lap times the 008s were so much easier to drive and seemed not to fall off as fast.  

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/9/19 12:02 p.m.

These would be popular with owners of original MGA, MGB and MGC that don't want to go to wider wheels.

Some years ago I had to have my MGA wheels widened because aside from tires for VW Bug in horrid compounds, there was little decent for MGAs (it was a pain, too, as I had to widen the original wheels as no after market wheels for Twin Cam are available that fit and are reasonably priced).  And then the 185x70-15 size that used to be widely available was dropped and there is nothing around today except one Vredestein and a couple of $1,000 a set Pirellis.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/19 12:18 p.m.

I would love a set of 185/60-13 A008s or A539s for my Spitfire & GT6.

Try this company in the UK. https://www.performancealloys.com  I carted a bunch of the A539 tyres and when I entered a US shipping address the system didn't flinch.  $236 shipping quote for 10 tyres, which I don't consider unreasonable. 

David S. Wallens
11/9/19 12:19 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
spitfirebill said:

I'm curious about that too. What would prevent you from just ordering them overseas and shipping them here?  Especially on an older car, I can't imagine an inspector even checking it. 

-Rob

This isn't a professional opinion but comes from someone who used to work in a law office that dealt with a lot of car crashes: You crash into me while running tires that aren't certified for U.S. conditions, so therefore I sue you. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/19 12:32 p.m.

I was wondering if any 10" tires for a Mini are available in the US with a DOT stamp, but Tire Rack does sell the A008 in the Mini 165/70-10 size. It's the only 10" tire they sell. And they're $125 ea.

David S. Wallens
11/9/19 12:40 p.m.
Ian F said:

I was wondering if any 10" tires for a Mini are available in the US with a DOT stamp, but Tire Rack does sell the A008 in the Mini 165/70-10 size. It's the only 10" tire they sell. And they're $125 ea.

I ran those on my '71 Innocenti Mini, and you can see the DOT stamp in the photo. 

David S. Wallens
11/9/19 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

So you're thinking that the 245s will fit on the rear? I'd run the 205s up front. That's what I have now. 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
11/9/19 12:55 p.m.

Have you checked demontweeks? They now have a website that services the US and ship tires here.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/performance/tyres-accessories/tyres/

That is where I order any of the unavailable in the US 13 inch sizes I need for cars at work.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/9/19 2:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Woody :

So you're thinking that the 245s will fit on the rear? I'd run the 205s up front. That's what I have now. 

I can’t say with any degree of certainty on that one. My suggestion would be to go to a Porsche Club meeting and look around in the parking lot. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/9/19 2:32 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Ian F said:

I ran those on my '71 Innocenti Mini, and you can see the DOT stamp in the photo. 

Can confirm. In my garage right now.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/19 2:51 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Ian F said:

That was my point - I wouldn't expect Tire Rack to sell a tire that doesn't have a DOT stamp.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K2TkmHZfvRLXM76qT4F7IJcpmXHgZs5uAMvjVy6Nfez0WLfAgn3ZOnOkw9xmgazy