Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
12/11/12 2:47 p.m.

I'm replacing the steering rack in my ranger. I would like to delete my power steering while I'm at it. I am going to employ the easy method of depowering by connecting the input to the output. Do i need to install the check valve from my old rack as the replacement rack's instructions state?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/11/12 2:57 p.m.

Don't connect them - drain most of the fluid out of the rack but leave a little to lube it, then vent the in/out lines so dirt won't get in and fluid won't get out (so basically run them into a T and connect the T to a cheapie Fram valve cover vent mounted a little higher than the rack. Otherwise you are fighting the fluid to turn it - making it that much worse than a already bad way to get manual steering.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
12/11/12 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Sweet.  Thanks.  That is an awesome idea.  Good job.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
12/11/12 3:09 p.m.

I'd go for something like this:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php

That's what I did on Miata track rat.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
12/11/12 3:32 p.m.

That is, of course, my inspiration for depowering the rack in my 4WD pickup in the first place.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
12/11/12 3:36 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Don't connect them - drain most of the fluid out of the rack but leave a little to lube it, then vent the in/out lines so dirt won't get in and fluid won't get out (so basically run them into a T and connect the T to a cheapie Fram valve cover vent mounted a little higher than the rack. Otherwise you are fighting the fluid to turn it - making it that much worse than a already bad way to get manual steering.

This is what we did on the merkur, but we didn't put a filter on, just bent the tubes (metal ends on the flex tubes) so they faced down and rearward to prevent intrusion of anything like water, sand, etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8xXjCCw1YpdwMVpZifjQYlbVO3ZeB4IoCkp6zpc7tvlKqs0F04vs92m2vxGlLifD