scardeal
scardeal Reader
9/2/10 2:23 p.m.

Okay, if I had to guess, I'd guess slipping clutch, but I have less than a year's experience with manual transmissions, so I want to confirm it.

Situation: Yesterday and it started yesterday, I noticed that as I would shift into first or second gear and give it half throttle or more, it would make a bumping noise like I'm going over lots of little bumps. It didn't seem to happen as much in higher gears. It sounded like it was coming from below me. It was accompanied by an acrid smell, perhaps like brakes.

Am I correct?

ZOO
ZOO Dork
9/2/10 2:26 p.m.

Sounds like clutch to me. What happens in fourth or fifth when you try to accelerate? Do the rpms climb, but the car doesn't accelerate well?

scardeal
scardeal Reader
9/2/10 2:31 p.m.

Yeah, it seems a little sluggish...

ZOO
ZOO Dork
9/2/10 2:34 p.m.

Sluggish? Or does the engine "race"?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/2/10 2:41 p.m.

Sounds like a clutch to me. The smell is the big ticket to that diagnosis. The tach should rev but the vehicle speed does not increase proportionately. To test, climb a hill in 2nd at about 3k and punch it. If the car doesn't accelerate and/or you are tasting the smoke... go home while you still can and change the clutch.

Note- its a dual mass flywheel and a lot of shops are not keen on resurfacing. Call around - someone will clean it up for you but if its only mildly "blue" and the surface feels OK to the touch (not grooved/ridged) I've had good luck with an orbital loaded with Emory cloth alone.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
9/2/10 2:47 p.m.

I'd have to get back to you on that. I didn't drive it today.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
9/13/10 9:17 a.m.

Turned out to be worn driveshaft guibo and center support making a bunch of racket.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/13/10 9:31 a.m.

cheaper than a clutch, that is for sure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hkp3jedWOFz84jkWYU2Y8kFu5bW4somxziSKALv1VoIxcgjK8W3TGdAV1wRqufxX