Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
1/26/09 11:14 a.m.

“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.”—Shakespeare

William S. was right: If someone’s miserable enough, they’ll hop into bed with just about anyone. Loneliness has spurred many a rash action. And like the lonely man, in the mid-’80s Chrysler and Mitsubishi were sitting around, moping, wa…

Read the rest of the story

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
4/28/09 12:26 p.m.

Loved the article, sending to everyone I know who looks at me when I talk about my car and asks, "What's a DSM?".

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/3/10 8:41 p.m.

Hmm, this came up on the new front page.

Hard to believe these cars were ever asking $15k once they rolled off the dealer lots.

Also, i have to say a lot of the statements regarding Chrysler in the opening paragraphs were... a little revisionist here, a little inaccurate there, and a lot exaggerated in other places.

Although, it is interesting to compare the derision pointed toward $1.5 billion in loan GUARANTEES (not loans) in 2003, and the attitude towards the more recent, more direct, and much larger government intervention..

lawdogg
lawdogg None
12/18/11 5:17 p.m.

Great article! I wanted to point out, however, that 3000GTs & Stealths were not produced in Illinois. Both were manufactured at Mitsubishi's plant in Nagoya, Japan. They are not technically DSMs.

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
1/31/13 9:13 a.m.

Excellent artice. Just wanted to comment on the part that says "don’t even bother with a slushbox car".

This was commonly accepted when this article was written. Nowadays however, some of the fastest drag DSM's are running built automatics.

KentF (Forum Supporter)
KentF (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/10/21 7:39 p.m.

In reply to captainzib :

The partner division of the two companies - Diamond Star Motors.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
5/11/21 3:08 p.m.

A " junkyard " near me (15 miles) had one of these out front when I stopped there for a part for my Mustang.  The car was completely hemmed in by wrecked cars but appeared, from what I could see from casual viewing, to be in showroom condition.  Couldn't tell which make or model it was but I think it may have been a Mitsubishi as the body was red but from the " hipline " up is was the trademark semi-gloss black. 

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
10/13/21 5:22 p.m.

I remember when the Eagle Talon TSI (turbo, twin cam, all wheel drive) went racing in the IMSA Radial Sedan series.  Before all was said and done, IMSA reduced the boost and made them run narrower than stock tires so everyone else could keep up!  They were out running 1st gen BMW M3's!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/13/21 5:36 p.m.
captainzib said:

Loved the article, sending to everyone I know who looks at me when I talk about my car and asks, "What's a DSM?".

Well, there's a new way to feel old.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mJSOTc5LDpIe0s9HRF2UatQ0aCijZp5WVVmETCazP5yqusng6imci3RbMVLoBp4B