John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/2/09 7:38 a.m.

I have always admitted to liking NASCAR and their drivers. Did anyone catch the driver who hung the tail out like a FormulaD machine at 175mph through most of an entire corner?

I will be searching YouTube but I can't remember the drivers name.

JmfnB

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg New Reader
3/2/09 7:45 a.m.

I think that was Jeremy Mayfield (sp). I'm almost certain it was the #26. I watched most of it. it was a good race, but the engine attrition rate seemed more in line with F1 cars from the '60s than America's premier racing series in 2009. you'd think that nearly 40 years of engine development would net an engine that won't grenade itself in the middle of the race.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
3/2/09 7:49 a.m.

Hey if you can figure out how to turn 10k RPM on a pushrod motor for a few hours without gernading a motor now and then and stay within NASCAR rules, every team out there will be at your door.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/2/09 8:00 a.m.
stumpmj wrote: Hey if you can figure out how to MAKE 850+hp while turning 10k RPM on a pushrod motor for a few hours QUALIFYING, PRACTICING and FOUR MORE RACING without gernading a motor now and then and stay within NASCAR rules, every team out there will be at your door.

Edited

Also the are finding out that most of the Ford failures were related to over rev situations coming up to speed after leaving the pits. The 45MPH speed limit on pit row would cause the drivers to get a little overzealous trying to get to speed as rapidly as possible, they would over rev the engine by just a tick and pop goes the weasel.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/2/09 8:20 a.m.

I haven't paid much attention to "nashcaa"(heavy northern NE accent) since the early 90's, other than watching a few laps here and there when it happens to be on at my brother's house or at the bar I'm at.

Are they still chewing up tires like Fruit Stripe gum with this COT chassis? I saw a few laps last night and there seemed to be much "tail out" activity mid corner to exit. That sort of thing isn't good for tire life at 170+

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
3/2/09 8:38 a.m.

Jamie McMurray is the driver who did that sweet drift! Probably one of the coolest things I've seen in Nascar in quite some time! A true Nascar driver, even when he is turning right he is still going left!

Chase cam shot is at 50 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3cwVTpUPHc

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/2/09 8:45 a.m.
blaze86vic wrote: Jamie McMurray is the driver who did that sweet drift! Probably one of the coolest things I've seen in Nascar in quite some time! A true Nascar driver, even when he is turning right he is still going left! Chase cam shot is at 50 seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3cwVTpUPHc

now THAT my friends, is a smelly driver's suit!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg New Reader
3/2/09 10:46 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
stumpmj wrote: Hey if you can figure out how to MAKE 850+hp while turning 10k RPM on a pushrod motor for a few hours without gernading a motor now and then and stay within NASCAR rules, every team out there will be at your door.
Edited Also the are finding out that most of the Ford failures were related to over rev situations coming up to speed after leaving the pits. The 45MPH speed limit on pit row would cause the drivers to get a little overzealous trying to get to speed as rapidly as possible, they would over rev the engine by just a tick and pop goes the weasel.

valid point.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
3/2/09 11:06 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
stumpmj wrote: Hey if you can figure out how to MAKE 850+hp while turning 10k RPM on a pushrod motor for a few hours without gernading a motor now and then and stay within NASCAR rules, every team out there will be at your door.
Edited Also the are finding out that most of the Ford failures were related to over rev situations coming up to speed after leaving the pits. The 45MPH speed limit on pit row would cause the drivers to get a little overzealous trying to get to speed as rapidly as possible, they would over rev the engine by just a tick and pop goes the weasel.

The Chevy and Toyota engine failures from earlier in the week were reported to be caused by DLC (Diamond Like Coating) wearing off of the lifter bottoms and making a mess of everything else.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
3/2/09 11:16 a.m.

The diamond coating has been a problem with the Toyotas. They do get most of their equipment from specific manufacturer's allowed by NASCAR so if a team goes out it could have been a bad batch of a product, etc.

McMurray's drift was pretty awesome, plus he has Crown Royal as a partial sponsor, but the way he talks makes me wonder if he does interior design with Jeff Garcia from the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Other than that I've been getting back into Nascar lately. Stopped watching it after Dale died and just now getting back into it. Mainly because ALMS is going to E36 M3 just like CART/IRL or whatever you call it now.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/2/09 11:16 a.m.

How hard is it to use a solid roller lifter in a V8? )

^^^ the previous statement is typed tongue in cheek, I know of at least 5 branded companies that make them ^^^

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
3/2/09 11:20 a.m.
John Brown wrote: How hard is it to use a solid roller lifter in a V8? ) ^^^ the previous statement is typed tongue in cheek, I know of at least 5 branded companies that make them ^^^

The Truck and the Nationwide are using a roller lifter. I posted some good links in the Nascar Cylinder head thread a little bit farther down.

Woo snow days!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
3/2/09 11:57 a.m.

I take it that rev limiters are not used in NASCAR

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
3/2/09 12:00 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I take it that rev limiters are not used in NASCAR

Sure they do, they are called steel valve springs.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
3/2/09 12:01 p.m.

Nope, they're only allowed basic MSD boxes (actually two of them since they tended to fail from the vibration and heat, so they would switch over sometimes)

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
3/2/09 12:15 p.m.

That was a pretty wild recovery. I was waiting for him to spin into the wall.

Also goes to show that drifting around a track isn't the fastest way in most cases. He lost some serious speed and position even when he pulled that great recovery off.

Watching the Faster Documentary about Moto GP motorcycle racing they touched on this subject. There was a rider who was sliding all over the track. The point being while sliding you cannot accelerate as much as possible.

Again, killer recovery. I can't believe he pulled that off.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
3/2/09 12:19 p.m.

Oh... he had the flu as well...

Will
Will Reader
3/2/09 12:21 p.m.

That save was absolutely epic. I know NASCAR isn't everyone's favorite, but don't tell me these guys can't drive!

Kramer
Kramer Reader
3/2/09 1:14 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: McMurray's drift was pretty awesome, plus he has Crown Royal as a partial sponsor, but the way he talks makes me wonder if he does interior design with Jeff Garcia from the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Have you seen Jeff Garcia's wife? I bet McMurray has a hottie hanging all over him, too. If I had to act that way to get Carmella, I may have done it. Fortunately for me, I didn't marry a bitch, though...

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/2/09 2:58 p.m.

The MSD boxes have a rev limiter built into them but alot of times they put in the highest chip they think they can get away with which is sometimes a bit optimistic.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
3/2/09 3:10 p.m.
Kramer wrote: Have you seen Jeff Garcia's wife? I bet McMurray has a hottie hanging all over him, too. If I had to act that way to get Carmella, I may have done it. Fortunately for me, I didn't marry a bitch, though...

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/2/09 4:19 p.m.

"I'd like to thank Baby Jesus for my smokin' hot wife..."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MhVAbX29k5cxycQb04KIlHghWUGN6ju8eQwuvGc9dHutBA9XkWTv9JVpGfjrMl6J