1 2 3
dropstep
dropstep New Reader
5/27/14 9:25 p.m.

Tom was the hillbilly who always got stuck making the old junk he was flipping run. My favorite guy on the show

Opti
Opti Reader
5/27/14 11:27 p.m.

Tom was also one of my favorites, bummed to hear it.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/28/14 8:27 a.m.

From a television programming perspective, I was kind of surprised because, aside from Richard and Aaron, they were the two most recognizable among of the rest of the cast. My first thought was that they might spin the two of them off into their own show, maybe one where they do a little more actual work and have a slightly lower a-hole quotient.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/28/14 8:55 a.m.

Did you notice that the two popular mechanics were canned, and immediately Richard's friend Dennis started appearing as a regular? If screen time = paycheck, I think I can see what happened there.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
5/28/14 9:18 a.m.

Well from what I read, they were "canned" due to swearing at the manager (Richard???) Who is one of the worst on that show. But I guess it shows you cannot curse the manager out and keep a job. Tom was however one of the better people on the show, and to be able to get some of that old stuff running, proved to me anyway, that he had some talent.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
5/28/14 9:49 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
RoughandReady wrote: Man, don't say retarded. Invalid is the preferred term. Jeez.
Calling someone invalid is better than calling them retarded? That's retarded.
Your opinion is invalid.

http://youtu.be/zOLbuFVG0fs

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
5/28/14 10:32 a.m.

Dick Rawlings hired his nephew, way to go DICK.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
5/28/14 10:53 a.m.

All of these gloss'd over "reality" TV shows with Tattoo'd up Badasses with greasy hair suck.

Cancel them all and put Roadkill on TV.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
5/28/14 11:45 a.m.
Woody wrote: From a television programming perspective, I was kind of surprised because, aside from Richard and Aaron, they were the most recognizable of the rest of the cast. My first thought was that they might spin the two of them off into their own show, maybe one where they do a little more actual work and have a slightly lower a-hole quotient.

There's your answer right there. Probably some sort of trumped up rivalry show like that "Jr vs Sr" crap.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/28/14 12:46 p.m.
Mike924 wrote: Well from what I read, they were "canned" due to swearing at the manager (Richard???) Who is one of the worst on that show. But I guess it shows you cannot curse the manager out and keep a job. Tom was however one of the better people on the show, and to be able to get some of that old stuff running, proved to me anyway, that he had some talent.

i'm not a regular watcher of the show- i find it annoying in large doses, but entertaining for a half hour or so- but apparently they hired a shop manager so "wacky hipster/biker beard guy" didn't have to actually work on the cars so much any more. the new manager didn't get along with those two since they didn't do things his way, and so they dropped the hammer down on them after finding an excuse to do so. at least that's what i got out of seeing the episode over the weekend..

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
5/28/14 2:36 p.m.

Wait wait wait!

You are telling me that a "reality" show that is based on scripted over the top, fake drama has done something absurd and dramatic?

I am sure the twitter feed ticker on the bottom of the screen during every episode lit up with the horror and everyone who complained tuned in to see their chastising words scroll across.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
5/28/14 6:09 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: When I saw the OP post title my immediate question was "which one?" Honestly, I thought Tom Smith was one of the more entertaining characters in the show. His buffoonery amused me.

I have to agree. While the whole show is scripted it is still better then most of the programing that's on cable. It's it about cars I can sit through it fine.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
5/28/14 7:44 p.m.

Tom and Jordan were the two funniest guys in the shop. I was a little shocked when they were let go. K.C. is all right I guess but he is not as funny as Tom was.

I agree that some of the stuff is obviously scripted but the show is OK for what it is...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
5/28/14 7:58 p.m.

I occasionally watch Fast & Loud, I like Aaron , and I can't say that I dislike any of the shop guys, but Richard needs a knuckle sandwich!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
5/29/14 7:00 a.m.

I guess it's a pipe-dream to think there'll be a show that shows in-depth builds and actual work.

There's glimpses of real work being done on several shows but it's still 92% bs storylines.

Not much money in real work being done I guess.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/29/14 7:04 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Not much money in real work being done I guess.

Not much money in doing real work these days either. It's much more lucrative to get a gig on some crap show and pretend you do between contrived deadlines and emotionally charged arguments about contrived deadlines.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
5/29/14 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

You're not kidding! The deadline drama is killing me!

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/29/14 7:59 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Reality Rides shows a lot of the work being done without all the drama. I hate to admit it, but it's also often very boring.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
5/29/14 11:32 a.m.

Fast & Loud is one of the very few so-called reality shows that admits they are scripted right from the start. To me, that makes it more tolerable to watch.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/29/14 12:53 p.m.

Yeah, like a piece of crap that says, "Hey, look at me! I'm a piece of crap!" I can handle turds when I know I'm dealing with turds.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/29/14 2:43 p.m.

Anyone else notice that all it takes to be a TV reality star in a Man Show is phenomenally stupid facial hair? Where is a flame thrower when you need it?

As to firing the guy who ACTED like a dimwit but was not, yeah, I will miss him, but so what? At least the show is trying to evolve. Keep in mind that most instances of evolution require death, so that might be the warning bell for the show.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/14 2:44 p.m.

My beard is better than Aarons- where's my goddamn TV check?

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
5/29/14 6:02 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote:
RoughandReady wrote: Man, don't say retarded. Invalid is the preferred term. Jeez.
Why do people get all offended over this word? Here is the definition from the dictionary:
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age
If someone is actually slow, it's not an insult, its the correct term.
Plus, you can't set the timing on your car to "a little invalid". That is just limited to retarded children, dwarves or midgets.

Can we please abort this conversation?

admc58
admc58 Reader
5/29/14 7:57 p.m.

I met Tom at the shop when I was in Dallas last year and he is anything but a dumb redneck. He is really quite smart and FUNNY in person. OH, His sister was working the store and "HOT" does not start to describe her, WOW, and nice to boot!!!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
5/30/14 7:30 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: ... but apparently they hired a shop manager so "wacky hipster/biker beard guy" didn't have to actually work on the cars so much any more.

The "wacky hipster/biker beard guy" (Aaron Kaufman) was at the Big Bend Open Road Race this year, and I ran across him several times that week in Fort Stockton and Sanderson. No TV cameras were on him, and he seemed like a real car guy and a nice enough person to boot. He tolerated the fans well enough, showed up where he was supposed to, ready and on time, and didn't seem to expect any special treatment.

He gave my '64 Valiant a thumbs-up, so we know he has good taste (or hides his disdain well).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FAGCR3TctFpZwmbNL5Yf8bpSP5fQc0TktBUBMR8Flej8fvD6U0QybpIU1mcQKy99