1 2 3
novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/30/14 11:45 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
novaderrik wrote: ... but apparently they hired a shop manager so "wacky hipster/biker beard guy" didn't have to actually work on the cars so much any more.
The "wacky hipster/biker beard guy" (Aaron Kaufman) was at the Big Bend Open Road Race this year, and I ran across him several times that week in Fort Stockton and Sanderson. No TV cameras were on him, and he seemed like a real car guy and a nice enough person to boot. He tolerated the fans well enough, showed up where he was supposed to, ready and on time, and didn't seem to expect any special treatment. He gave my '64 Valiant a thumbs-up, so we know he has good taste (or hides his disdain well).

i didn't say he was a bad guy- but the beard is probably what got them the tv show.. without the beard, it would have been a show about a loudmouth douche (yes, i know he was a fireman, emt, etc., and did the cannonball run) and a normal looking scrawny guy that put air ride suspensions in cars and flip them..

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/30/14 2:34 p.m.

It may very well be a scripted show, but the pain Richard felt for being on the hook for the F40 parts and labor looked very real. I don't think that he is that good of an actor.

It's one of the car shows that I actually like.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/30/14 2:39 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

Richard is worth $15M. He wasn't that broken up about it.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/30/14 3:51 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to JFX001: Richard is worth $15M. He wasn't that broken up about it.

and he knew the whole time that they were actually building the car for his rich buddy, even if he acted like they were just trying to flip it... why else would they paint it anything but red and put anything but stock wheels on it?

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/30/14 4:00 p.m.

You guys are too cynical...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
5/30/14 4:57 p.m.

That Ferrari was auctioned off later. I think it made $700k to $800k IIRC.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/30/14 5:36 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to JFX001: Richard is worth $15M. He wasn't that broken up about it.
and he knew the whole time that they were actually building the car for his rich buddy, even if he acted like they were just trying to flip it... why else would they paint it anything but red and put anything but stock wheels on it?

They sold it at auction shortly after it was built.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
5/30/14 6:55 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

After that Dennis guy bought Richard out of it? The show made it look like Dennis was keeping it for himself.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/30/14 6:58 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

and, what about it?

oh and get off my lawn.

I've watched the show and the only thing I understood was the loud part. He's a boisterous bullrunner (the actual "rally" not the tv show) who managed to use his over the top persona to land a fauxality show.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/30/14 9:47 p.m.

he's doing something right...he's got a TV show and way more money than most of us.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/31/14 12:17 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to JFX001: and, what about it? oh and get off my lawn. I've watched the show and the only thing I understood was the loud part. He's a boisterous bullrunner (the actual "rally" not the tv show) who managed to use his over the top persona to land a fauxality show.

Ease up Cowboy...maybe you were focusing too much on understanding the "loud part" and blocking your chakras. Life is too short for blocked chakras.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
5/31/14 8:21 a.m.

In reality if they wanted to make a show about a budgie middle aged guy who works for a large corporation and dreams of having awesome cars and it came with a PILE of money I would happily act like a jerk and grow facial hair!

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
5/31/14 7:46 p.m.

They're kinda like Nickelback. Us real metalheads all agree that they suck, but they still sell out arenas, are crazy popular, and make a ton of money.

They're doing something right.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
5/31/14 7:53 p.m.

Too bad there wasn't a way of marketing a camera in a shop running for hours just watching a guy build a cage, or rebuild a rear end. Oh well I guess thats why I spend more time watching utube than I do the TV.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/31/14 8:10 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: They're kinda like Nickelback. Us real metalheads all agree that they suck, but they still sell out arenas, are crazy popular, and make a ton of money.

So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying that Nickelback and the Gas Monkeys are exactly like gay p0rn...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/31/14 8:32 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

I ain't real sure what a shack-ra is but my sarcasm about my actual cynicism was apparently not apparent.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/31/14 8:44 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

Apparently.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
6/1/14 4:47 p.m.
tr8todd wrote: Too bad there wasn't a way of marketing a camera in a shop running for hours just watching a guy build a cage, or rebuild a rear end. Oh well I guess thats why I spend more time watching utube than I do the TV.

the Powerblock is pretty interesting- especially the chubby dude with the tall hair that builds offroad stuff... as are some of the gearhead shows on Velocity, especially the one with the girls fixing and modifying cars..

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
6/1/14 6:15 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: especially the one with the girls fixing and modifying cars..

Wait there were cars in that show? I remember two blonds and a brunet. Hummmmmmm Guess I am not that old after all.

sergio
sergio Reader
6/1/14 6:50 p.m.

Hello?

What are we gibber jabbing about?

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/2/14 10:37 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
tr8todd wrote: Too bad there wasn't a way of marketing a camera in a shop running for hours just watching a guy build a cage, or rebuild a rear end. Oh well I guess thats why I spend more time watching utube than I do the TV.
the Powerblock is pretty interesting- especially the chubby dude with the tall hair that builds offroad stuff... as are some of the gearhead shows on Velocity, especially the one with the girls fixing and modifying cars..

The Powerblock has been re-named and spread across a few channels. The DVR doesn't catch Detroit Muscle (formerly Musclecar) correctly for me fairly often. It ends up recording Truck Tech (formerly Trucks).

As for Fast and Loud, it's certainly jumped the shark, but I also won't miss an episode. There's still something magnetic about the show.

Richard was on Carolla's CarCast last week and was pretty interesting (and surprisingly quiet--the conversation steered away from him pretty often). He came across as a normal businessman. He said he's been stockpiling older 911's recently.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/2/14 10:39 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Wait there were cars in that show? I remember two blonds and a brunet. Hummmmmmm Guess I am not that old after all.

You are if you think those girls are something to look at...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
6/2/14 10:52 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
You are if you think those girls are something to look at...

I'm sorry what?

One is a motorcycle racer and the other one can out-fab most of us. The other one is meh in the looks department but is a BMW master tech and shop owner.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/2/14 10:53 a.m.

Jessi Combs and a couple of other girls...

www.velocity.com/tv-shows/all-girls-garage

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FLK8IbTkgV6sk0KrQmTR1oExgMJ9qPiHq5v9w6DcNu4lDrPNoNrMrJNTyXckaqNs