stroker
stroker HalfDork
7/30/11 10:01 a.m.

Help me out for second. The other day I was trying to remember as many recognized American Formula classes as I could. I'm sure I'm missing some, but here's what I got:

F500

FV

Formula Ford

Super Vee

Formula Atlantic

Formula Mazda

F5000

Formula Continental

F1000

Wasn't there a Skip Barber class, too?

Sultan
Sultan Reader
7/30/11 10:14 a.m.

F1st. The updated FV.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/30/11 11:16 a.m.

Libra

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
7/30/11 11:24 a.m.

Classes currently recognized within the SCCA:

The eight formula classes are all single-seat, open wheel racecars. They are built to detailed specifications for weight, size and engine displacement. There are incredible power to weight ratios in each class. The classes in order of fastest to slowest are: Formula Atlantic (FA), Formula 1000 (FB), Formula SCCA (FE), Formula Continental (FC), Formula Mazda (FM), Formula Ford (FF), Formula 500 (F500) and Formula Vee (FV).

Source: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=71

stroker
stroker HalfDork
7/30/11 12:43 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Classes currently recognized within the SCCA: The eight formula classes are all single-seat, open wheel racecars. They are built to detailed specifications for weight, size and engine displacement. There are incredible power to weight ratios in each class. The classes in order of fastest to slowest are: Formula Atlantic (FA), Formula 1000 (FB), Formula SCCA (FE), Formula Continental (FC), Formula Mazda (FM), Formula Ford (FF), Formula 500 (F500) and Formula Vee (FV). Source: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=71

I was looking for more of a historical compilation for the last 40 years or so. Which ones of have died of diminishing popularity or obsolescence?

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
7/30/11 2:00 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Thanks for the clarification.

Formula classes have evolved over many years, but one that has been missed was F Jr.

FA evolved into F5000

FB into FAtlantic with a 1600cc limit (originally) then with mandated Toyota and (later) Mazda engines.

FC was limited to 1300cc engines - later defunct but some cars were updated to FA specs

F2000 - formula ford w/2000cc engines, later renamed as FContinental

AIS - mid-80's IndyCar (CART) chassis' were incorporated into an independent series that specified stock-block, domestic V8's

Super Vee started with air-cooled flat fours until the wasser-coolers were phased-in (mid to late 70's)

There are probably more, but that's all that came to mind right now............

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
7/30/11 2:45 p.m.

I think oldsaw offers a good synopsis of the evolution, based on my own understanding. I would only add the formula ford has recently evolved into formula f with the advent of the Honda Fit motor as an alternative to the traditional Ford Kent.

SimonTibb
SimonTibb New Reader
7/30/11 3:34 p.m.

US ONLY classes or just formula classes in the US? Many of those are international.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
7/30/11 5:11 p.m.
SimonTibb wrote: US ONLY classes or just formula classes in the US? Many of those are international.

I'm thinking of recognized, sanctioned classes (I guess primarily by the SCCA) but not necessarily at the National level ONLY. Formula First would be a "wildcat" class as far as I'm concerned (unless it's been recognized by the SCCA without my knowledge), but given its popularity would still be regarded as legitimate.

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
7/30/11 8:41 p.m.

Skip Barber had a FF series and the Barber Saab Pro series (now defunct).

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
7/30/11 9:31 p.m.
spritedriver28 wrote: Skip Barber had a FF series and the Barber Saab Pro series (now defunct).

Barber also used Dodge-powered cars for a while, too.

ncjay
ncjay Reader
7/30/11 11:33 p.m.

Skip Barber still operates different racing series using Formula Ford style cars. "Had" implies the series doesn't exist anymore.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
7/31/11 9:34 a.m.

Does anyone know if the SCCA approved the 600cc motorcycle engine to F500?

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/1/11 3:44 a.m.

Bunch of Canadians would come down for the Pumpkin at Nelson Ledges every fall w/ 750cc MC formula cars, don't remember their class offhand tho. Wish SCCA woulda adopted them, pretty damn slick. We'd shoot the E36 M3 over FZs and FZRs.... 'scuse me... FZeds.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
8/1/11 3:49 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Bunch of Canadians would come down for the Pumpkin at Nelson Ledges every fall w/ 750cc MC formula cars, don't remember their class offhand tho. Wish SCCA woulda adopted them, pretty damn slick. We'd shoot the E36 M3 over FZs and FZRs.... 'scuse me... FZeds.

Sounds like the Brit F750 class. Front engine stuff, generally, sorta like Locost Lite? Some of that stuff is pretty nifty but not what I was thinking of a US Class.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/1/11 4:04 a.m.
stroker wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Bunch of Canadians would come down for the Pumpkin at Nelson Ledges every fall w/ 750cc MC formula cars, don't remember their class offhand tho. Wish SCCA woulda adopted them, pretty damn slick. We'd shoot the E36 M3 over FZs and FZRs.... 'scuse me... FZeds.
Sounds like the Brit F750 class. Front engine stuff, generally, sorta like Locost Lite? Some of that stuff is pretty nifty but not what I was thinking of a US Class.

Rear engine. I don't remember their sanction tho. I might have some old grid sheets from the early 90's, I'll hafta look 'em up.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/1/11 4:21 a.m.

OK, closest thing I can find is Formula 4. XPIT chassis rings a bell. I have some old pics buried somewhere.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8EgasNb0tsWn3QewjrLS0AoRKq8T2CWsmzVxrqG7KejIF8mE67PMVKfsKGrG91PF