Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/20/11 10:18 p.m.

I thought the digital dash on the Caprice was cool, and it was. But as of late I can't read it in all but the darkest of nights. I think the LCD got froze on too many times. I know I'm going to get pinched soon.

Is there a fix for this? I know I could replace the cluster, but I think I'd rather shot myself in the face. At $120, a GPS is looking like a better alternative.

Help.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/21/11 3:44 p.m.

Wow. Nobody?

Curtis?

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
4/21/11 3:51 p.m.

Well, I got nothing. On my Roadmaster there is a dimmer pot next to the headlight switch for the dash lights. But my dash is analog. Sorry.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
4/21/11 3:55 p.m.

Moving the dimmer doesn't do anything? Does it get dimmer when you turn on the headlights, the brighten when they go off?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/21/11 4:20 p.m.

That's the thing: the lights on the oil, gas, temp, and volts are bright and happy. They dim normally. The speedo dims as well. I will consult the Helms this weekend to see if there's a diagnostic.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
4/21/11 10:12 p.m.

pull the cluster out and clean all the contacts with a soft pencil eraser or q-tip with rubbing alcohol. while you are in there, take a small screwdriver and pull the tabs up just a little bit to get better contact.

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
4/21/11 10:28 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: pull the cluster out and clean all the contacts with a soft pencil eraser or q-tip with rubbing alcohol. while you are in there, take a small screwdriver and pull the tabs up just a little bit to get better contact.

Works for AFX slot cars too!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
4/22/11 10:59 a.m.

I have no experience with the Caprice dash, but GM dashes in general are frequently not that hard to take apart. I had an Astro where all the dash lights were out; I took it apart and the instrument cluster had a plug on the back of it that was held in just with pressure - it was super easy to remove. What I found was the cluster-side contact for the dash lights had overheated (likely due to contaminants or something) and had melted away from the mating connector. I cut a little piece of thin copper sheet and soldered it over the old, bad contact and everything was happy. Worked great for a long time and I sold the van like that.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
4/22/11 10:35 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I have no experience with the Caprice dash, but GM dashes in general are frequently not that hard to take apart. I had an Astro where all the dash lights were out; I took it apart and the instrument cluster had a plug on the back of it that was held in just with pressure - it was super easy to remove. What I found was the cluster-side contact for the dash lights had overheated (likely due to contaminants or something) and had melted away from the mating connector. I cut a little piece of thin copper sheet and soldered it over the old, bad contact and everything was happy. Worked great for a long time and I sold the van like that.

yeah, a Caprice dash is insanely easy to take apart.. the bezel snaps out, then there are a few screws that hold the cluster in place. remove the screws and pull the cluster out.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
4/27/11 10:21 p.m.

Thanks guys. (Waaaaayyy belated reply)

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
4/28/11 12:06 p.m.

What was the fix for yours?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BZkwTxaolSC0vD0fqlYjjgDs9ETsUSpHn9cBubaCcFqBftiPcOPZiFcdW00T99cj