sspeedstreet
sspeedstreet None
11/17/10 8:16 p.m.

I've Googled this to death with no helpful results, so if you have experience disassembling a Koni, please help me here.

If the gland nut is backed out of the strut body, what happens? Is it under pressure? I assume there is oil inside, can it be reused? What is it replaced with if needed?

Thanks, Neil

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/17/10 8:22 p.m.

Are you talking about taking the Koni strut cartridge out of the strut housing? If so, take the spring off, the top nut off, the bottom nut (if equipped) off and the cartridge will come out. The oil, if there is any, is just antifreeze. Pitch it and put new in. If you are talking about a complete Koni unit and not just a cartridge, I believe the right answer is to send it back to Koni for the lifetime warranty.

http://www.drhess.net/Clip_n_Saves.htm#Pictorial%20Guide%20to%20Strut%20Replacement

sspeedstreet
sspeedstreet New Reader
11/17/10 8:40 p.m.

No, not a cartridge, a complete one piece strut. I need to turn the nut diameter down 0.100 to convert them to coilovers.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/17/10 8:49 p.m.

Dunno about that one. I'd call the Koni Custom Shop and ask them. They are very helpful. Start at www.koni-na.com and get their phone number.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/18/10 10:22 a.m.

There are coilover components sized for Koni's oddball diameter...you're not the first person to have this problem! I have no idea where to find them, but I know I've seen them before.

Bryce

sspeedstreet
sspeedstreet New Reader
11/18/10 11:17 a.m.

I have the correct threaded sleeves, but they are sized to go over the expanded part of the strut body. The gland nut is about 0.080 larger than the body. I know I can grind the diameter down by hand but I'd rather do a cleaner job than that.

Neil

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
11/18/10 11:52 a.m.

Hand grinder or just a nice new file. done.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
11/18/10 11:56 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Hand grinder or just a nice new file. done.

I did this on a set of Koni Yellows. I used a flap wheel and took the extra material down. No ill effect on the strut.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/18/10 6:25 p.m.

Yup, sounds like a perfect application of the flapper wheel.

Bryce

Knurled
Knurled HalfDork
11/18/10 6:34 p.m.

A nice, lightly oiled file will laugh at the nut.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o6oQclqv7UzpWWTZUQfYvJ3XtYUmVypF7Mpl6yDllTQ8PJJGf0kex8wwM3wUskSa