6 7 8
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/3/20 12:07 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It would be hard to say, because if you were to piece together a brand new $30k car from individual parts from the dealer network, it would probably be at least $150k, depending on how many parts are bitsa-parts and how many are subassemblies.

Suddenly, FCA servicing a Dart wiper switch as a $1400 steering column assembly makes sense, in a certain way.  Less numbers to inventory makes the parts train simpler.  And, I suspect, the tax situation lighter, since they aren't paying taxes on the $2000 (retail) individual parts that make up that subassembly.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/20 12:25 p.m.

Sometimes it bears repeating, OEM parts are generally designed to be easier (faster/cheaper) to install on an assembly line. This seems to be the driving factor when it comes to OEM part design. Ease of replacement later is a secondary concern at best. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/3/20 4:11 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

It would be hard to say, because if you were to piece together a brand new $30k car from individual parts from the dealer network, it would probably be at least $150k, depending on how many parts are bitsa-parts and how many are subassemblies.

I think Car and Driver did this with a Camaro back in the day, but I can't find the article.  It was something like a $28k car was $250k

aw614
aw614 Reader
12/4/20 9:20 a.m.

I guess this has tricked down to buying non EPA/CARB Complaint cats on rockauto for non performance applications. I noticed they aren't selling the 49 state cat anymore on their website with the costs about 50-100 dollars or so more compared to say over a year ago as I was looking for a replacement for my brother's civic as the stock one is rattling like crazy with 240k miles on it. Plenty on ebay though...

I wonder what happened to all the old stock...

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/4/20 9:54 a.m.

In reply to aw614 :

Old stock is long gone.  The requirements to make and stock parts is much shorter than most people think- so it will be hard to find real OEM parts for cars over 20 years old.

The funny thing is that there's real opportunity to make compliant catalysts- as cars age and parts supplies dry up.  The real hard part is to find a company willing to make the substrates and another to coat them.  But that's quite possible, and there happen to be quite a few experienced people who will be wrapping up their careers that could support others to do exactly this.

6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
olzo1865YQEzbm3tkfgjNn8ZSiZxAH706feX0LDLWE51huUqBKbngVG0K8ZaR47r