1 2 3 4
jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
11/13/19 1:39 p.m.

Here's one:

Kreb
Kreb UberDork
11/13/19 2:10 p.m.

I wonder about doing the "ghetocet" thing on a Leaf. Would it be possible to take 1000 lbs. off one?   

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
11/13/19 2:11 p.m.

re: barefootskater

should we split off the $Challenge EV discussion to a separate thread?

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/13/19 2:31 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Im fine with leaving it here. Less threads I have to watch wink

sleepyhead the buffalo
11/13/19 2:43 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to Robbie :

You could, but regen will easily double the cost of the controller and limit motor choices to Brushless DC or AC only (which you're gonna use, but is worth noting). Which, if we're talking challenge here, you'd only *need* for an edge in the autocross as a second brake.

so, assuming we're talking a Leaf vs. Building from a forklift... then I'd say, leave the regen in.  but take the charger out, and not worry about regen via towing.  I haven't been to Gainesville in 10 years, and then it was "in and out"... so I don't recall their RV hookups.  But, I'd plan on that... getting the autox runs done early in the cool temps... then taking the the charger and building a box for the battery to go in w/ a controller and dry ice to put the pack at ~50deg (I think there's an optimal temp where the packs will perform, and iirc it's below 70deg).  That way that whole setup is budget neutral, and you have the pack at optimal operating temperature

robbie said:

Why do you think I'm watching leafs on copart?

You should check again, and maybe I'll check again.  But, iirc, some of the reading I've done indicated there's motion dection accelerometers in the pack to trip it safe in the event of an accident.  So, a risky way to play the game is to seek out Leaf's that are damaged and not marked run/drive... figuring those have been tripped and just need to be reset.  Although, I'd stress researching that a bit more, before putting money down.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/13/19 3:35 p.m.
Robbie said:
SVreX said:

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

There WILL be an EV at the Challenge soon. 

Why do you think I'm watching leafs on copart?

You're not the only one.

(and I already know someonewho has collected the parts at a Challenge price)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/13/19 3:40 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to Robbie :

You could, but regen will easily double the cost of the controller and limit motor choices to Brushless DC or AC only (which you're gonna use, but is worth noting). 

There are open source controller options similar to Megasquirt.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/13/19 4:20 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

If someone is building a challenge EV (and I don't doubt you at all) we need a build thread! What gives?

sleepyhead the buffalo
11/13/19 4:29 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

eh.  Not everyone at the challenge is on the forum.  and some challengers like to keep their cards closer at hand.  There is the possibility of this kind of car doing... surprisingly well at challenge, so I understand it

which is part of the reason I'm throwing so much spaghetti against the wall within this thread.  it's about the best I can do for the time being, and who knows... maybe some of it will stick?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/13/19 5:31 p.m.

I've said all I am going to. cheeky

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/13/19 5:41 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Tease.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/13/19 8:31 p.m.

It is fairly easy to mod a charging cable to charge a leaf off of a generator so charging at the challenge shouldnt be too hard.

grover
grover HalfDork
11/13/19 9:08 p.m.

Very cool reading y'all. 

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 9:26 a.m.

Just watched another leaf cross the block on copart.

2015, went for $3700. Two bidders (copart shows the location of each bidder), they were from the country of Georgia and Ukraine. No US based bids that I saw.

So $3700 plus fees plus what $2000 minimum to ship it overseas? Wow.

Re: sleepy, I couldn't find a way in copart to sort "not" run and drive, but that is a good idea for sure.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 9:28 a.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to SVreX :

If someone is building a challenge EV (and I don't doubt you at all) we need a build thread! What gives?

Someone locate me a leaf for $2k or a motor/controller/pedal/trans/axles for $750 and I'll start the build thread!

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
11/14/19 10:12 a.m.

There are two on deck for Monday's auction here in North Carolina, near Charlotte

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 11:26 a.m.

I'll try to watch those too. Problem with copart is you can't see the selling price unless you watch the auction live. Each car is only up for like 2 minutes...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/14/19 11:40 a.m.

You don't necessarily *need* an entire car- for a challenge participant, you'll only need enough to run and race. You could probably get away with half the pack.

The charger is typically in intrical part of the controller so you can't really remove it :p

Packs operate best in the 50-80 degree range I think. I know the stock 1st gen Leaf used fans and a solid chunk of Aluminum to cool- I wonder if you made a sort of copper heat sink and CPU Thermal paste would it work just as well keeping pack temperatures down? Plus, copper looks hella cool.

In reply to SVreX :

" There are open source controller options similar to Megasquirt. "

Ohhhhh, do you have a link?

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 12:01 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to SVreX :

" There are open source controller options similar to Megasquirt. "

Ohhhhh, do you have a link?

https://www.pandspowerelectronics.com/product-page/nissan-leaf-2011-2012-replacement-control-board

I don't yet know for sure - but I think these are the guys on endless-sphere forum. 

Very similar in price to megasquirt as well. If I had a leaf i'd have already sent them my money. And by the way everyone, I am very serious I have a car ready to go for a challenge ev swap, so if anyone wants to help with the build let me know. 

Plans are still a bit up in the air but should get hammered out soon. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/14/19 12:02 p.m.

Does anyone know if the Volt motor has been used outside of its original application? I see a fair number of Volts come through IAAI locally and have seriously considered parting one out. I've seen the batteries reused but haven't seen anything where they reuse the electric motor.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 12:03 p.m.

here's another REALLY good link if you're planning a challenge EV (hint, the batteries aren't the biggest problem for a challenge EV, but the motor controller may be).

https://www.instructables.com/id/200kW-AC-Motor-Controller-for-Electric-Car/

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 12:05 p.m.
dculberson said:

Does anyone know if the Volt motor has been used outside of its original application? I see a fair number of Volts come through IAAI locally and have seriously considered parting one out. I've seen the batteries reused but haven't seen anything where they reuse the electric motor.

I don't know if its been done, but I think it's integrated into the case of the trans. Which is both good and bad. If you could leverage the transmission and use the volt motor without the gas engine having gears would be very usefull... plus the volt motor is more powerful than the leaf in stock form. 

I don't know how you'd ever control the volt motor without the chevy engine control, and that would be freaking out a bit without the engine I imagine. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/14/19 12:12 p.m.
Robbie said:

here's another REALLY good link if you're planning a challenge EV (hint, the batteries aren't the biggest problem for a challenge EV, but the motor controller may be).

https://www.instructables.com/id/200kW-AC-Motor-Controller-for-Electric-Car/

This is gold, here. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for with my initial post. I struggle with instructables sometimes just for the sheer number of things on there to scour through. I did find a good one a while back about making an electric motorcycle.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/14/19 12:18 p.m.

Yeah, but just the components cost is still close to $1k (those pesky high amp IBGTs). You're probably better off for the challenge using used leaf hardware and the $340 control board to gain control.

sleepyhead the buffalo
11/15/19 9:05 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

The charger is typically in intrical part of the controller so you can't really remove it :p

Packs operate best in the 50-80 degree range I think. I know the stock 1st gen Leaf used fans and a solid chunk of Aluminum to cool- I wonder if you made a sort of copper heat sink and CPU Thermal paste would it work just as well keeping pack temperatures down? Plus, copper looks hella cool.

So, the charger might be intergrated with the controller/inverter... especially since the charge point is up at the front, and charger box is back between the wheel wells... based on this tear down...

https://www.marklines.com/en/report_all/rep1049_201202#index06

so... maybe they could be divorced?  It's also possible that this is specific to the early ones, and the later ones have a more integrated charger, because there's talk of weight reductions being realized in 2015?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Upb8EX3SRZ2RBLnaQ3jX0OgeRODo1VyAl73IMO7D1xN3VyQ6GGk1N8ku85BIfylk