1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/14/12 8:21 a.m.

The biggest thing is defining what is "overpriced" means to you.

A couple of years ago my dad decided he wanted to DD a bug and his mind was still mired in the days when you could get a nice bug for $500. It was a bit of sticker shock.

In the end I did find a good bug for $500, but it was a lucky find and the ability to spot a diamond in the rough. In the end I still put another $1000 into it to ensure it was reliable for him and he probably put another $500 into it over the last few years to keep it going good.

As found:

After some TLC:

He just sold it last month (at 67 DDing a bug in DC traffic was getting too difficult) for $3200 and it was a good deal for whomever got it.

Luke
Luke UberDork
12/14/12 9:13 a.m.

^Love the colour. Sounds like US pricing is pretty similar to AU pricing. That's about what I'm hoping to pay for something similar down here.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
12/14/12 11:39 a.m.

I got mine in running, driving condition for $1600, I think.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
12/14/12 3:00 p.m.

Watch the 67s, they are near the peak of awesome but have quite a few one year only specific parts. Wish I never sold mine, would have made a cool Challenger.

M030
M030 HalfDork
12/15/12 8:31 a.m.

I used my 72 Super as a DDin the 90s. I loved the car, but it was slow, handled like crap, stopped crappy and had no heat. All that said, there is trenendous aftermarket support & you can fix all of its shortcomings (except the lack of heat). It was a great car but a terrible daily driver. They do get under your skin. I've got the body off the frame now and I'm resto-modding it with Porsche 944 brakes, a914 engine, 1977 rack & pinion steering and more. I'll run widened steel 912 wheels with lots of negative offset, no hub caps and raised white letter tires if I can find them in appropriate sizes.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
12/15/12 9:19 a.m.

The wierd thing about the heat, other than rotted out heater boxes etc., is the fact that air is supplied by the engine fan which runs slower in top gear and when in traffic. I used to drive in third gear a lot until things warmed up.

M030
M030 HalfDork
12/15/12 9:45 a.m.

In reply to iceracer:

Mine was solid as a rock, and my dad, a long-time VW mechanic, told me "they're all like that"

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
12/17/12 10:43 a.m.

"they're all like that", meaning the engine driven fan thing ? One thing I found, was that the heater boxes often were not properly adjusted. Heat was also dependant on the temperature of the exhaust manifolds. So getting them hot as quick as possible was important.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/17/12 11:41 a.m.

I love Beetles. My Baja has no heat, but since I routinely ride a bike in the winter that really doesn't bother me. I just love how simple they are and the "how to keep your VW alive" repair manual is my favorite manual of all time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yr9lOdegVd2X1M3QQkenx0gGFqJJtQMvif4PhP253XcjKXqJa3EES7IwOjmw3bsa