Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/10/20 11:23 a.m.

I'm toying with the idea of selling the Volvo and getting another Jeep Wrangler.

I've owned two TJs and mine were rust free, but many of them around here have terminal frame rust, and I don't want to deal with that. So for the first time ever, I'm starting to consider an early JK Wrangler. Yes, I know, minivan engine, blah, blah, blah. I don't care about that. Primary purpose would be hauling the dog around.

So, while they are obviously newer, do JKs rust they way that every Jeep before them did?

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/10/20 11:34 a.m.

How does the dog feel about this? 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/10/20 12:54 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

How does the dog feel about this? 

Mixed.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
11/10/20 4:05 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

So, while they are obviously newer, do JKs rust they way that every Jeep before them did?

We had a 2007 JKU for 5 or 6 years.  Got driven every winter on salty PA roads.  There was the obvious surface rust on the chassis and suspension components but I never saw anything on the body other than on the exposed hinges - and I would just mask those up and paint them once a year or so.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/10/20 4:36 p.m.

With a 2010 JK Wrangler in Florida, no, there is no rust. Not helpful, I know.

But, I'm always a champion of the much maligned "mini-van" V6. With a manual tranny, it's just fine.

Edit: I think in 2012 the Merc engine arrived. Uhh, 80 more HP? Something like that. If you want auto I would recommend that.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
11/10/20 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux (Forum Supporter) :

I’m far too cheap to go that new. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/20 8:47 p.m.

I have often wondered about the "rusty jeep" thing.  Of the ones I have seen that Rusted compared to those that didn't, I think it comes from abuse.  I am talking about the people who off-road them and then never clean the gunk out of the chassis.  The Mall crawlers never have rust, the off-roaders that get washed before coming to work on monday never get rust, the ones that are always dirty rust away to nothing.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
11/10/20 10:04 p.m.

Watch out for oil consumption issues on this era of Wranglers  with 3.8l engines. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
11/11/20 6:02 a.m.

Around here Wranglers are beach vehicles which is a salty death for most cars. There are plenty of early JKs that have been here their whole lives and don't look worse for it. I don't think there's a clean TJ on the island.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5lwOjL4xigaHfzgAftNp4QqBu8PqudRtviJEVtjhsBsc4RFKxU4Y6oaPmE6LpvUd