Like it says up there^. 

I'm rebuilding a 97 1.8 Miata BP8, and the water pump wasn't positively located. It had more shimmy than I'm used to seeing. 

I'm used to those little hollow tubes around bolts, like a cylinder head has. Or solid dowels, or something. I can find no evidence of such a thing.

I know I didn't take any out, but this engine had some front end troubles (wobbly pulley, broken water pump housing, worn crank wheel, lunched crank, etc). I may be a slightly paranoid, but want to do this rebuild right. 

New water pump and oil pump are pricey, made in Japan units.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/20 7:25 p.m.

I do not recall. I don't think so.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/31/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

sounds like you need to replace them.. also.. what is your version of pricey?

miata parts are like.. all super cheap..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/20 7:43 p.m.

I think what he's asking is if there are supposed to be any. And looking at the parts diagram, I guess there is! Mazda part F801-15-713.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/31/20 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

fair, i thought he was referring to the pulley itself..

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/20 8:25 p.m.

The water pump pulley should be a very tight fit on the center of the flange it bolts to.

Fantastic, Keith.

As always, your Miata knowledge is most appreciated. My google-fu was obviously lacking. 

All feedback appreciated, guys. Off to clean up some Hondabond, and get back on the path to righteousness.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/31/20 10:42 p.m.

The way # F801-15-713 is drawn suggests to me that it is a stud, not a dowel, is there a written description anywhere in the catalog?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/31/20 11:27 p.m.

"Set pin, spring"

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/1/20 10:15 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

"Set pin, spring"

That sounds to me like it's the pin that you stretch the tensioner spring over?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/1/20 10:26 a.m.

That makes sense. I've done a water pump in the past year but I haven't paid attention to this particular aspect.

Image for Mazda part #F801-15-713

Dirty.

Here's a picture of the old water pump. I can see no obvious holes for sleeves/dowels/etc.

Still, I don't like how it felt, so I'm going to pull it apart and try again.

I find no part numbers other than the one we agreed was for the belt tensioning spring, so It may just be down to manufacturing tolerances. Or paranoia.

The new Melling oil pump had a considerably rougher/poorer casting than the factory piece.

Whatever. Maybe some copper tubing or the like between the bolts and housing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bn80JuvZpdJZbuaju1jSGavOGi63XzGqJ59ppEgqkX3Q5dlfpZCakyUl0RUWO4hz