1 2 3
Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/27/21 10:29 a.m.
racerfink said:
STM317 said:

They just seem like more expensive, less efficient Pony cars to me. They're dimensionally smaller, but don't weigh much less. They offer entry level pony car performance with V8 pony car fuel costs and pricing.

I'm not sure they're bad, but I understand why they're not more popular.

This.

Looking at the numbers, the 370Z is barely quicker than my base model V6 Camaro, weighs within 150lbs of my car (despite my car being dimensionally bigger in every way), and gets worse mileage all around.  Oh yeah, and it makes less power too, even with a tenth of a liter more displacement.

Reading a C&D article on the 2019 370Z, they talk a lot about the vague shifter and numb steering feel.

At least in my area (pre-pandemic) they weren't more expensive than the smaller engined pony cars, particularly when used. Being dimensionally smaller is a feature in a fun car. Fuel economy is about the same in a V6 Camaro, albeit with 87 octane in the Camaro. The Camaro can definitely hold more stuff, but it is not very space efficient. The rear seats are almost just dead space for the purpose of increasing the wheelbase.

I think the base Camaro's suspension/chassis is a bit more sophisticated. Mustang about the same as the 370Z. The 370Z feels much nimbler.

I really don't feel like either are bad choices. I definitely think that when new, the 370Z made the most sense in the lower trim levels.

Edit: Another counterpoint is people on here seem to be more interested in the 128/135i lately. It's been a while since I've driven a 135i, but IMO a 370Z makes a ton of sense in comparison.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/27/21 10:57 a.m.

In 2016 my ex and I were out for a cruise. I look over to her and ask if "that's the uggliest 350z body you've ever seen?" She had to assure me that no, it's just a 370Z.

I really don't dislike the look but it's not aged well for me. I remember sitting in one at a car show when they came out and liking it a lot. How's the auto-revmatch?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/27/21 10:59 a.m.

The 370Z is my answer when people complain about the FR-S/BRZ needs moar powah. Then you really want a Z.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
7/27/21 11:07 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

How's the auto-revmatch?

Only drove one, and it was annoying as hell when just trying to drive casual like and stay under the radar.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
7/27/21 11:38 a.m.

Wow, I could understand indifference, but didn't realize there are people who actively HATE the 350/370Z.   I had a 6-speed G35 sedan years ago and it was a really good car for what it was.   

The main problem I see with 350Z's is that by time they got even remotely cheap, they were all ratted out F&F rejects with bad titles and giant chrome wheels sitting on used car lots in the bad part of town.   Wouldn't turn down a nice clean stock 6-speed, although I still think the G35 coupe is easier on the eyes.   

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/27/21 11:42 a.m.

I read this thread over my morning coffee and thought, why would anyone hate a modern car that has the option of a manual and is RWD.

Not two hours later, driving downtown with my windows down I was assaulted by the cochlea shredding, flatulent trombone noise of a 370Z as it decided to jump to 50 in a 25 zone right next to me. The kind of extremely loud burst of sound that makes everything sound muffled for the next few minutes.

Now I kinda get it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 11:44 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Nissan made the 370Z for goddamn ever, so there are tons out there. I know they were the butt of jokes for quite a while.

My impression has always been that they didn't really do anything better than the 350Z but looked weird and cost a lot so nobody was really that into them.

They're shorter and lighter than the 350Z, which is a huge improvement.  (104" wheelbase vs. 100")

Based on that alone, I wouldn't bother with a 350Z.  Wheelbase is a very large percentage of handling feel, shorter feels a lot more nimble.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
7/27/21 12:42 p.m.

Anything sounds flatulent straight piped......

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
7/27/21 12:54 p.m.

Main problem with the 350Z and 370Z is the car that came before:

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
7/27/21 12:55 p.m.

In reply to c0rbin9 :

Yes, the Z32 300ZX is one of my all-time favorites, without a doubt!

TBH if the 370Z had t-tops or a targa it would be an automatic buy for me.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/27/21 1:17 p.m.

Visions of G35 coupe with full length sliding canvas sunroof....

Probably leak a lot and be annoying to deal with though.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/27/21 2:07 p.m.
SEADave said:

Wow, I could understand indifference, but didn't realize there are people who actively HATE the 350/370Z.   I had a 6-speed G35 sedan years ago and it was a really good car for what it was.   

The main problem I see with 350Z's is that by time they got even remotely cheap, they were all ratted out F&F rejects with bad titles and giant chrome wheels sitting on used car lots in the bad part of town.   Wouldn't turn down a nice clean stock 6-speed, although I still think the G35 coupe is easier on the eyes.   

I had a nice 350Z, the problem is you really want a "sporty" car, but what you get is GT. And I know they have basically been GT cars since the Z31. 

They do everything well, but they miss that "excitement," if that makes sense. That's why I traded mine in for something nearly as quick, but much more useable, a Mazdaspeed 3. That thing was always a HOOT to drive, whoooosh, shift, whooooosh, shift. But it could get tiring with the stiff ride and brutal torque steer and lack of traction in the 1-2 gears. 

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
7/27/21 2:13 p.m.

I had a 350Z track for many years. Loved the car, so I definetly don't hate the 370.....but it's competitors moved forward in performance, while the Nissan never gained much grunt. It's pricing was way to high given its level of performance in the last oh....7-8 years of production. The Nismo car was cool, and special...... but 45 grand cool? nope. That's Camaro SS 1LE money, which stomps the Nissan in every metric.    

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/27/21 2:16 p.m.
bentwrench said:

Anything sounds flatulent straight piped......

But VQs sound terrible no matter what.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
7/27/21 2:33 p.m.

How do you find a 350/70z manual transmission  that isn't ratted out with cheapo mods and crap tinted window?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/27/21 2:53 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Be willing to pay for it. GRM'ers typically expect pristine, low mileage stock cars for less than what ratty ones sell for. 

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
7/27/21 3:16 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

sold mine as a super clean '03 track model a few years ago with the CD009 trans, several quality power mods and such with 115k on it for 8700. It probably would go for about the same or more now.  How much cheaper do you want it? 

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UberDork
7/27/21 3:18 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

Be willing to pay for it. GRM'ers typically expect pristine, low mileage stock cars for less than what ratty ones sell for. 

Absolutely true. Any manual trans 350z/370z that is in good shape will be priced at a premium. Especially as drifters bounce them off of walls cutting down on the number of those cars that are in acceptable condition. 

The comparison to pony cars and the Z cars really doesn't fit. Pony cars have improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade. When the 350Z was introduced pony cars were not what they are today in regards to handling, refinement, and making power. The 370 is a completely different argument. That car lasted long enough to be compared to some of the best pony cars ever produced. 

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/27/21 3:20 p.m.

I looked at new and used 370Zs 2 and 3 years ago (two seperate purchase periods). I found plenty 1-4 year old examples with low mileage, unmolested and good condition.

In 2016-2020 new 370Zs started at $30k. (Even cheaper up here north of the boarder). Rather than make it faster, they made it cheaper.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/21 3:21 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

While there is a grain of truth in that, the counterpoint is that people with ratty ones expect to get pristine-example money.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/27/21 3:37 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Nissan made the 370Z for goddamn ever, so there are tons out there. I know they were the butt of jokes for quite a while.

My impression has always been that they didn't really do anything better than the 350Z but looked weird and cost a lot so nobody was really that into them.

These days, they are easily found on the used market with low miles and I'm compelled by the idea of a newer coupe with a big hatchback.

Does the 370Z suck or are they worth a look now that the depreciation curve is setting in?

I like them.  I would pick one up if the opportunity came around.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/27/21 4:59 p.m.

I had a 2011 that I owned for several years, and I just don't understand the hate on here.  I sold my '08 Shelby Mustang for it, and it was tons better than the Shelby.  It was faster everywhere, especially corners, and was simply built better too.  They were even dominate in their autocross class class back in the day.  It wasn't perfect, but it was a decent daily driver even if it did try to put you in jail every morning on the work commute.  Let's just say a 130mph burst was nothing and oh so easy.  I ended up selling it and buying a BRZ because I thought I needed one.  I regretted it pretty much on day one of BRZ ownership.  

Compared to my current Boxster S, the 370Z is a bit faster and more comfortable, but it lacks the steering feel of the Porsche and the flat 6 wail.  But you also weren't listening for a 2nd Mortgage sound with every outing.  The 370 was more of a hot rod in a sports car body.  

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
7/28/21 2:31 a.m.

Having owned a 240z I look at the 350/370 the same way I look at the class hottie who now weighs 400lbs at the reunion. How did you let it get this bad?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
7/28/21 5:16 a.m.

There is a local with the 370Z's fatter brother, the G37, that slays the competition at the local autocrosses. Regularly FTD and always top 5. 

In the cheap fun car market they provide a lot of bang for the buck.

The 240s and 280s that show up aren't anywhere close to as quick.

djsilver (Forum Supporter)
djsilver (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/28/21 5:42 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

There is a local with the 370Z's fatter brother, the G37, that slays the competition at the local autocrosses. Regularly FTD and always top 5. 

In the cheap fun car market they provide a lot of bang for the buck.

The 240s and 280s that show up aren't anywhere close to as quick.

And his G37 is an automatic!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k8WFVqj3GbJWeP5CcGf17z1SjaAauIo62qzqxzAAe6q5gXvSAGZUrbECVsg35FsB