1 2 3
sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
11/30/18 1:29 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I was thinking about how much it must have cost them to ship the car and spare parts to the US, all the expenses to go through all the Drag Week, and then ship it all home.  And that's not counting personal expenses for air fare, lodging, meals and so on.  It had to be a major undertaking.

I have a feeling Benny, Al and Woody (?) walked into this with their eyes open.  They've already mentioned being in contact with other Aussie's that had run drag week before, and at least Benny and Al were over with Moog and Marty for the MCM/Roadkill confab. So, the had a hook on say ~50% of the logistics, and they probably had a pretty good idea of views and number of episodes required to recoup, between the DoubleUnicorn and various SkidFactory views.  Also, it looks like Benny's ventured out on his own, so (not knowing AUS tax law) perhaps all three of them are able to write off the costs of the trip as marketing/promotion.

Re: Episode #5, and the week hasn't even 'officially' started
Off hand, if you were going to pitch this to anyone... and you said "we're going to spend 5 20-30min episodes on the preparation, and then get TBD episodes covering the event.  You'd probably be told to go pound sand.  Yet, the remarkable things is... they're pulling it off!  The content is engaging, maybe not quite compelling... but it's a long way from boring.

From a personal perspective, that's interesting, since OneLap... which is ostensibly: longer and 'harder'... has only ever really been able to pull out a couple of 45min videos, or 5 episodes that are they equivalent.
Then again, maybe that's a by-product of the relentless nature of OneLap... eventually it becomes difficult to make the time to "record the basics" that's needed to keep it interesting.

And, amazingly of all, Woody... their camera dude... is in the car with them.

That's, kind of... next level, from my experience

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/7/18 3:27 a.m.

Episode 6 of Cresta vs DragWeek is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyn7x5pTQ94

Basically the first day, 12hours in 17minutes.

Lots of interesting details hidden in the background... like the haltech panel that on the center console.  It looks like it's a manual adjustment of some of the tune, which is pretty cool.  I'm also interested in the GoPro remote mounted to the wheel.  I need to sit down and think about that, since I've had so much trouble with GoPros since 2015.

It's funny to me, that watching the transit actually had me a little more excited about doing DragWeek than watching some of the racing.  Taking back-road by-ways... with some push to get, but still time to dawdle, in some kind of "fast" machine really speaks to me.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/7/18 8:17 a.m.
sleepyhead said:
stuart in mn said:

I was thinking about how much it must have cost them to ship the car and spare parts to the US, all the expenses to go through all the Drag Week, and then ship it all home.  And that's not counting personal expenses for air fare, lodging, meals and so on.  It had to be a major undertaking.

I have a feeling Benny, Al and Woody (?) walked into this with their eyes open.  They've already mentioned being in contact with other Aussie's that had run drag week before, and at least Benny and Al were over with Moog and Marty for the MCM/Roadkill confab. So, the had a hook on say ~50% of the logistics, and they probably had a pretty good idea of views and number of episodes required to recoup, between the DoubleUnicorn and various SkidFactory views.  Also, it looks like Benny's ventured out on his own, so (not knowing AUS tax law) perhaps all three of them are able to write off the costs of the trip as marketing/promotion.

I noticed in the latest episode when they were putting stickers on the car that they have a pretty long list of benefactors/sponsors as well.  Also, I know next to nothing about how income from Youtube works but I imagine there's some money coming in from their videos.

It's amazing how they're able to take a car that runs well into the 9s, and drive it down the road every day with four people and a heavy trailer on the back without any issues (other than having to wear earmuffs for the noise.)

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/14/18 12:20 p.m.

it's been a busy day, so I've only just gotten around to watching episode 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3H8VFOyPc

9.29, and some adventure... plus some people finding the cheapest accommodations... not quite as good as episode 6, but still some good background info about what's going on.  Watching this makes me curious to see what a similar vlog following series of a "Street Machine Eliminator" car would be like.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
12/21/18 5:18 a.m.

episode 8, and we get two days of racing into a 20min episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsJBFLQRj30

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
1/23/19 5:19 a.m.

woops, looks like I lost track of this...

episode 9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIbcLfTeAc

plus, bonus "FAQ BTS" type video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nwz6MIBPUo

and, SkidFactory have launched off mcmtv2 and onto their own channel

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ptxOftZcgxP8hw7PwA5UbymbuwinxOlf1kmkQ1kRX6kc0SEmbI3ysbnClFV9dn2