3 4 5 6 7
wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/10/14 6:56 p.m.
freestyle wrote: Racing: A motorsport that is conducted exclusively on a paved track with other cars and other men. It requires lots of ego, disposable income and is very, very dangerous. Anything else is simply adorable and shouldn't be very difficult for a man old enough to shave.

so dirt track isn't racing … so Baja isn't racing …. okkkkkkkk

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/10/14 6:57 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
freestyle wrote: Racing: A motorsport that is conducted exclusively on a paved track with other cars and other men. It requires lots of ego, disposable income and is very, very dangerous. Anything else is simply adorable and shouldn't be very difficult for a man old enough to shave.
so dirt track isn't racing … so Baja isn't racing …. okkkkkkkk

No! Just auto-X

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/10/14 6:58 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
irish44j wrote:
wbjones wrote:
Tyler H wrote: Autox is maddening to do well, with a steep learning curve. I respect the enthusiasts and their skills. A good autox-er generally has the car control skills to go up the motorsport ladder where the stakes are higher. A talented "race car driver" may not have the skills and patience to excel at autox, going the other way. I'll just call it all "Motorsport" and be done with it. Beats spectating, which is why even Mr. Grumpy is hoofing cones and not mowing his lawn, no matter what he says.
LOL … we auto crossers have a saying (and I also "race" LeMons) that if autocrossing were any easier it would be called road racing ...LOL as a rule of thumb, an autocrosser can more easily learn to slow their hands down, than a road racer can learn to speed their hands up … plus it's usually easier for an autocroser to learn a new track than it is for a road racer … mainly because every event we attend is a new track and we only get a few runs to learn/master it … not a couple of 20 min practice sessions, a 20 min. qualifying session, and then the race and the comments above are in no way meant to denigrate road racing ….it's an entirely different skill set
it's all good, we can say stuff like this all day. we rallycrossers say that if we could just slow down our hands by about 50%, we'd be good autocrossers
you don't have to convince me … I don't carry mine around in a wheelbarrow shoot, I don't even hill climb

it's funny the way the off-road motorsports go. There's pretty much none of this argument between stage rally guys, baja guys, dirt track guys, and rallycrossers. We have top regional stage drivers and dirt-track circle racers come out to little local rallycrosses all the time in fully-prepped cars and there's never any of this "well, these are just cones, not trees, and we're only going 70, not 130."

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/10/14 7:00 p.m.
irish44j wrote: it's funny the way the off-road motorsports go. There's pretty much none of this argument between stage rally guys, baja guys, dirt track guys, and rallycrossers.

There isn't really any here in 5 pages either. Just trolls and the offended.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/10/14 7:01 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
wbjones wrote:
freestyle wrote: Racing: A motorsport that is conducted exclusively on a paved track with other cars and other men. It requires lots of ego, disposable income and is very, very dangerous. Anything else is simply adorable and shouldn't be very difficult for a man old enough to shave.
so dirt track isn't racing … so Baja isn't racing …. okkkkkkkk
No! Just auto-X

well a-x is on a paved track with other men (and women) does require, at least some, disposable income, but it isn't all that dangerous … and I promise you there's lots of ego involved

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/10/14 7:07 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
irish44j wrote: it's funny the way the off-road motorsports go. There's pretty much none of this argument between stage rally guys, baja guys, dirt track guys, and rallycrossers.
There isn't really any here in 5 pages either. Just trolls and the offended.

maybe not here, but I have definitely had "track guy" friends of mine tell me that autocross is for people who are scared to "really race" and crap like that. No suprise that these guys mostly are HPDE types, and wouldn't actually risk their clay-bar'd cars in wheel-to-wheel. But still, plenty of people actually do think like that.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
10/10/14 8:01 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to freestyle: That is the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum. And sexist. And idiotic.

Whoosh. Being sarcastic.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/10/14 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla: I was not, I repeat, NOT, saying it was worse. Just replying to the fact that he seemed to think wheel-2-wheel was safer than autocross. And then he threw hillclimb in, when it wasn't part of the original conversation. Calm down and have a beer.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/10/14 8:18 p.m.

In reply to freestyle:

I figured. I thought I would just keep this nonsense going a little while longer.

Some people can get really offended if someone has a different opinion. And then other people get offended that they were offended.

Me? I'm only offended by Canadians.

Especially, French Canadians, they really have no sense of humor

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/10/14 8:21 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Nope ! Auto-X is NOT racing, it's rather just an excuse to wear a helmet. If you're ever taken part in a real race, track, road course, drag, you'd know the difference without having to ask. Fun-sometimes. Exciting-can be. Racing-not at all.

Go and read my earlier post. I have done them all and I do consider them all racing

freestyle
freestyle Reader
10/10/14 8:24 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to freestyle: I figured. I thought I would just keep this nonsense going a little while longer. Some people can get really offended if someone has a different opinion. And then other people get offended that they were offended. Me? I'm only offended by Canadians. Especially, French Canadians, they really have no sense of humor

HA! If I could afford it and allowed to, I would try every type of motorsport known. Just trying to go faster is challenging and fun for me.

I autocross and road race and yes, beaten by women regularly.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
10/10/14 8:25 p.m.

Is masturbation sex?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/10/14 8:26 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Is masturbation sex?

Apparently as long you think it is, it is.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/10/14 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

But is it incest?

freestyle
freestyle Reader
10/10/14 8:31 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
TRoglodyte wrote: Is masturbation sex?
Apparently as long you think it is, it is.

I'm fast...oh yeah...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/10/14 8:34 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: But is it incest?

No... but now that I think about... it... a... little... crap. I'm a homo now.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/10/14 8:44 p.m.

Autocross isn't racing if you don't take it seriously... and from what I've read on this forum, few members here do. However, when you're at the start line for your last run of the day, the other fast guy in your class just laid down a run a couple of tenths faster than your last run, and now it's up to you to step up and find those couple of tenths yourself... well... it sure as hell feels like racing. The desire to win is just as strong.

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
10/11/14 12:14 a.m.

Lol. Its all racing. If you say autocross isn't racing then you can say wrc isn't racing. I mean, they both are point to point against the clock one car at a time right? Can't we all just get along!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/14 6:55 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Is masturbation sex?

"Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone you love."

-Woody Allen

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/14 6:58 a.m.

Our threads sure get jumbled up.

Apparently, the answer to the question, "Do you consider it racing" is masturbation.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/11/14 7:19 a.m.

only when you consider PAX ….

This PAX--otherwise known as mental masturbation--is the holy grail of autocross, the only goal is not to go faster than the other guy, but to have the mathematical formula tell everybody that your time was "better" than the other guys even though your car was slower overall."

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/14 8:25 a.m.

Penile Action Xtreme

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/11/14 8:40 a.m.

Seems like the whole argument is people pretending to be better than other people. JUST like the coal roller thoughts.

In other word, why cares?

Some old dufus wants to spend time complaining- go for it, dude, you are the person who openly decided to be angry. For such a trivial reason. Such a luxury in life that your biggest complaint is about what is racing or not. Although, I'm sure there are tons of things that you want kids off your lawn for.

Such a fun and happy existance.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/11/14 9:09 a.m.

I have done pretty good on a road course and on ice but I suck at auto cross. I'm old but not grumpy.

So is it "Racing" or not. I really don't care. I just like to have fun with cars.

lateapexer
lateapexer New Reader
10/11/14 10:13 a.m.

Pretty sure old grumpy folk, were young grumpy folk. If you heart rate doesn't change and your hands don't tremble at the end of a run... why are you doing it?

3 4 5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
JJjQHFcybKGdoSNGWBlDRUVMv9cJCdOIi5zxOkiGUo3UPdBioMiFmBRbd61Bm8QS