1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/23/18 5:29 p.m.

If you've got back seats you plan to use more than a few times a year, 4 doors are the way to go.  Two door cars with back seats are a relic of the 60s and 70s and should be left there.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
9/23/18 6:06 p.m.

Really disagree with all the nay sayers, they sell minis, they sell 2 door civics, i see a lot of those, lots of bmw 2 doors, and any other two doors ove missed that may have been referenced above, not to mention the boatload of Chevy Colbalts and the Pontiac equivalent, what, about ten years ago. 

Done right, they sell. 

And therein lies the problem, done right usually means different sheet metal, so extra production and tooling cost, etc, and generally on the cheap end of the market, so not enough margin I suspect. 

Europe, where cars are more expensive, including operations cost (gas,etc) relative to here, so they're a lot smaller as a rule, so designing a small 4 door would probably be harder.   Guessing....

Finally, how many times do you really pile four into the car anyway?  And if you have a family, there's another four door hauler available. 

It's just not that hard to get in and out of a 2 door, unless you're too old and/or too fat.  So lose weight, and when you're too old, you shouldn't be driving anyway. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/23/18 6:19 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

Too right.  There are a metric E36 M3 ton of Altima coupes at least here in the mid-Atlantic area and I think they are good looking yes I'm biased but I also don't have irrational Nissan hate either. wink  

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
9/23/18 9:02 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

I agree with your comments, especially the examples of the MINI and BMW coupes. Not that this changes the manufactures' minds, but I suspect that there are a number of GRM folks who own 2-door MINIS, BMW coupes, Mustangs or Fiat 500 Arbarths that would like them less as a 4-door.

We already have a Honda CR-V that handles the primary family hauling, so I think we would be okay with a 2-door, 4-seat second car.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/23/18 9:15 p.m.

Pretty sure the 7th gen Accord coupe is worse. sad

The only real reason I can see to buy a coupe over a sedan in a body style that has both in the modern day is if they are lighter and that sort of thing matters. I guess they can kind of look better sometimes. Maybe? 

Maybe I like looking at your car more than you do! I think those ones are pretty ok.  In general I'm with you, i tend to see coupe versions of sedans as sort of impaired and think about what they've lost in the process. It would help if they ever looked much better than the sedans! I think something like your FJ is an exception where it's so differentiated and has 'extenuating circumstances' that justify its 'door downgrade' from a 4Runner. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/23/18 9:50 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

Definitely.

Whenever a manufacturer has a 2dr available they sell a lot of them, but it's a lot cheaper to make only a 4dr.

I had both 2 and 4dr cars when my kids were young and in car seats. The two dr cars were infinitely easier to load and unload them. I don['t know why anybody would suggest different.

I did the same with my kids, but that was back when kiddie seats faced forwards. These days the rear facing seats would be a PITA in a two door.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x8DacD2NzAQuGCCoOOl5a6lCvr6tZB7SklaCYFtY1CaFjyomxUDtnpHwpxt4KSNO