1 2
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/21/09 6:28 a.m.

turbo + miata engine will be cheaper and have more potential.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
4/21/09 9:07 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: Mazda's KL-DE engine is a 3.0L V-6 with aluminum block/heads, EFI, and DOHC. 164hp/156lb. ft. stock. Came in 2nd. gen Ford Probes and 2nd. gen. Mazda MX-6s.

it's a 2.5L. Everything else you posted is correct. 7000 rpm is a daily event for mine, and it's got 208k on it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
4/21/09 9:11 a.m.
mw wrote: I'd go for a 2.5 v6 out of a Suzuki Vitara. It doesn't meet your no DOHC needs, but it's not very wide. It is also very light and likely a fair bit less than any iron block 4cyl.

I would agree, but the power is a little limited. Very compact engine, very durable and absolutely SINGS at 6500rpms.

splitime
splitime New Reader
4/21/09 9:18 a.m.

Surprised no one has mentioned the VQ series of Nissan motors. Strong buggers and they come with fwd/rwd transmission options. 3L and 3.5L... etc..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
4/21/09 10:32 a.m.
splitime wrote: Surprised no one has mentioned the VQ series of Nissan motors. Strong buggers and they come with fwd/rwd transmission options. 3L and 3.5L... etc..

I love too.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
4/21/09 10:43 a.m.

Alfa v6s are cheap the one in my car was purshced by the previous owner with 40k miles on it for under $200. They all had bosch l-jet efi for the rwd versions, and bosch motronic for the fwd versions in the usa. Im not sure what people do for a bellhosuing for a front mounted transmission, but it has been done alot. The oil pan may be a problem, because it is cast aluminum and rather large. The main bad thing is they need the timing belt replaced every 30k miles, and the had an oil fed tensioner that didnt last very long without leaking, and was overly complicated to rebuild, but most of the various replacements people have come up with arent the greatest (the only ones you can buy new use a spring, but the timing belt will slip if the engine is ever turned backwards). Keep in mind for a cali engine swap you will have to keep all of the evaporative emisisons stuff that the engine you use came with, and with obdII keep the stock gauge cluster. Really the very bes thing you could do is get rid of the car you have and get one 1975 or older if you really want a celica. Or move to another state.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/21/09 12:43 p.m.

My first thought was turbo buick. If you build one from scratch an alloy block is avaiable. But you only want 150 hp and budget is a concern, so nevermind

RossD
RossD Reader
4/21/09 7:04 p.m.

Look up a Alfa GTV6 from the '80s on a video website (youtube or whatever). Once you hear the sound they make and realize that you practically described that exact motor in stock trim, I think you'll know you found your engine. They came in a handful of cars like the GTV6s, Milanos and 164. I forget but they went from 2.5L to 3.0L and the 164s have sexy inlet piping. Check AlfaBB for what people do to swap the FF setup of the 164's 3.0L engine to the other 2.5L RWD cars.

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
4/21/09 7:33 p.m.

How about a Rover/Buick Aluminum V8? Those things are surprisingly small.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap New Reader
4/21/09 10:10 p.m.

What about the Chrysler 3.5L V6s (or the later 4L in the Nitro and Pacifica)? They meet all of your requirements except for being carbed. The 99 and newer are all aluminum SOHC engines, and if you get one from the 300Ms they're putting out about 255hp, and the LH cars actually used a longitudinally mounted engine for FWD, so adapting to your RWD situation is a little bit easier than the V6s that were only available transversely from the factory. (Or you can try to find the drivetrain from a Prowler, but I'm guessing that will cost some big money).

Otherwise, there are some Mercedes V6s that are SOHC and all aluminum, though they're not carbed either.

I have no idea about price, reliability or size for either, or if a manual transmission could easily be adapted but it's a suggestion.

Bob

andrave
andrave New Reader
4/21/09 10:17 p.m.
splitime wrote: Surprised no one has mentioned the VQ series of Nissan motors. Strong buggers and they come with fwd/rwd transmission options. 3L and 3.5L... etc..

3.0 is cheap and found in every maxima from 95-99 and bolts to a 350z 6 speed, which are $150-500 on ebay. 240 hp is easily obtainable, good gas mileage, parts availability, lots of donor cars...

hard to beat...

is a bit broad but not too bad... if width is an issue it may be too wide, however, I know from experience that its not appreciably wider than the old vg30e and it was SOHC. So don't narrow it out just based on the number of camshafts.

matt
matt New Reader
4/21/09 11:36 p.m.

its already been said but, toyota--4age or 4agze. 3sgt or 3sgte uber cheap used from japan, same as the nissan motors mentioned above. miata motor is just great imo.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/22/09 1:02 a.m.
matt wrote: its already been said but, toyota--4age or 4agze. 3sgt or 3sgte uber cheap used from japan, same as the nissan motors mentioned above. miata motor is just great imo.

O.P. said V6.

Shawn

driver109x
driver109x Reader
4/22/09 1:34 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: My first thought was turbo buick. If you build one from scratch an alloy block is avaiable. But you only want 150 hp and budget is a concern, so nevermind

I believe early turbo Regals are carbed and so is the turbo T/A. BUT they only came with an auto trans. BUT since the trans is not computer controlled you can swap a manual and be a legal swap.

I remember Turbo mag featured a second gen Celica with a Buick turbo V6 back in the days.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
4/22/09 8:41 a.m.

You can find carbed turbo buick v6s in pick and pull, they didnt really work that well though. The carbed TTA was a v8, the later ones were the same v6 as the grand national.

andrave
andrave New Reader
4/22/09 9:20 a.m.
driver109x wrote: I remember Turbo mag featured a second gen Celica with a Buick turbo V6 back in the days.

I remember that car... they got a lot of hate mail for it but I loved it.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
4/22/09 9:58 a.m.

V6.. blah thats old news, I was thinking a V4 like this all aluminum one. Link

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
4/22/09 10:02 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Long story short, I'm considering options for a possible swap into the Celica (sorry Toyota, but the R-block is NOT a performance motor), with the hitch that it needs to stay California smog legal (must come from newer model year vehicle).

Rev,

In order for your mental exercise to be smog legal in CA, you'll need the exhaust system from the donor car back to and including the catalytic converter. Of course, cat back is free but they're real sticklers for originality regarding use of the original manifold(s) and headpipe(s). That will complicate your swap and limit your choice of engine.

That being said, it may be possible to convince someone at a referee station your new exhaust system functions as the original one did but I wouldn't bet the house on it. Too bad because the Alfa V-6 idea is intriguing. BTW, that aluminum blocked has iron sleeves like the four cylinders do

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X69t32FJZicjGWzsGFeoLsYyeBM6hyydI7zZOFwW2IBO6zuVI05RrG4zGJxPy1nK