BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
1/18/11 11:13 p.m.

The engine in the Celica turned out to be not that fresh, so I'm looking for a replacement 20R or early 22R engine. Someone local just emailed me that they supposedly have a JDM 20R engine with low miles on it, which would be nice apart from the fact that I want to make sure it is a 20R and not the rather undesirable 2L 21R.

Does anybody know what sort of identifying marks I can check that aren't simply stickers on the valve covers?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
1/19/11 1:42 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

you might ask @ www.toymods.org

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Reader
1/19/11 6:36 a.m.

With the head off, easy. dished pistons. Its been awhile, but it just seemed ...bigger. You are very wise to be asking this question before it is an issue. Be suspicious of all JDM 20R/22R etc engines

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Reader
1/19/11 8:32 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I learned a very harsh lesson regarding JDM engines: always assume they require a rebuild. In my experience having bought one and talked to people who lived in Japan, some of the bad things that you hear about those engines is true.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/19/11 8:34 a.m.

There must be a code stamped on the engine somewhere. My experience with Japanese hardware is that they identify every part somehow.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
1/19/11 8:47 a.m.

That's what I was thinking - there has to be something on the engine that's harder to change than just a sticker that'll identify the engine.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/19/11 8:51 a.m.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll offer this- rebuilding a 20 or 22R isn't that bad. Parts are very cheap (if you're not building to SCCA rules). You might consider just reubilding what you have, or picking up a 22R core at the u pull lot. I don't think it would be that difficult to convert to EFI and run a 22RE.

psteav
psteav Reader
1/19/11 9:17 a.m.

when I was wanting to rebuild the 22R in the truck I had a couple of years ago, engnbldr.com seemed to be a good place for parts and knowledge. Dunno if it still is.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
1/19/11 9:22 a.m.

Near as I know the 21R wasn't all that common, only used in a few places like Scandinavia. Though why anyone would spring for a "JDM" R motor that wasn't an 18R-G is awful suspicious in and of iteself.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
1/19/11 9:27 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: I learned a very harsh lesson regarding JDM engines: always assume they require a rebuild. In my experience having bought one and talked to people who lived in Japan, some of the bad things that you hear about those engines is true.

+1 on that one, Jerry had similar luck importing a 4AGZE for the MR2, motor was totally worn out.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
1/19/11 9:35 a.m.

Supposedly, a bunch of 21Rs were imported to the US as used engines and I'd want to make sure it's not one of them.

I noticed that parts in general are fairly cheap for the 20R; the only reason I'm currently keeping an eye out for a used 20R or 22R is time - swapping out the engine for a decent running one so I can get on with getting the car back on the road should be quicker.

The other problem is that if I rip apart the engine, I probably wouldn't put it back together stock. Not since I found that Wiseco makes high compression pistons for the 20R...

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
1/19/11 5:05 p.m.

It will be stamped on the block next to the dipstick tube.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
1/19/11 7:36 p.m.

Well, it was a little more obvious than expected that this engine wasn't a 20R.

The big sticker "3A-C" on the valve cover held the clue...

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/19/11 10:12 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Well, it was a little more obvious than expected that this engine wasn't a 20R. The big sticker "3A-C" on the valve cover held the clue...

Well, yeah. That's one way I guess. lol

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/20/11 9:08 a.m.

I remember seeing 22R on the block somewhere, probably when I was painting it. Thanks for reminding us, Wes.

Woo, a 3AC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NG2cNWP3YSGD2pOq31jxTabxHt9WZdajNml8peiYfPDhMtQdEeUEYBZMvBhlU2IG