1 2
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/9/18 6:36 p.m.

I keep pondering what will fill my 4 car garage when my new house is built. Reegardless of what I think of, I come back to a LSX swapped na/nb. Does anything really compare from a driving experiance? 

I have a 2.5L swapped NC I intend to turbo, but a v8 sounds incredible. Also thinking v8 swapped e36... thoughts? 

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/9/18 6:47 p.m.

An actual Vette? C6 Z06 deals are out there. You get the suspension, looks, and most of the performance without being in a swapped NA Miata. Not sure what your budget is I guess.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/9/18 6:55 p.m.
crankwalk said:

An actual Vette? C6 Z06 deals are out there. You get the suspension, looks, and most of the performance without being in a swapped NA Miata. Not sure what your budget is I guess.

By budget is "within reason". I dont want a supercar because I want to drive the snot out of the car without fearing the cost to replace it. I think my upper walk away from it cost is about $25k. Any more than $25k and I would be afraid to really use the car. I think I could build a nice  LSX e36 or Miata for under $20k. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/9/18 6:58 p.m.

If you want the Corvette experience, you need to put 600-1000 lbs of extra weight on the car. Seriously, the only thing they have in common is the engine and two seats. The Pontiac Vibe and the Lotus Exige share an engine, but nobody ever thinks they're the same. Getting that noise and punch out of a small, light, compact car is a fundamental part of the V8 Miata experience and you miss that with the Corvette as it is not small, light or compact.

I haven't driven one, but a number of the hairy TVRs have to be a similar experience. I know my LS1 MG feels like a relative. From talking to customers, a lot of them are looking for a Cobra experience that's also a real car. None of them are cross-shopping Corvettes.

The ND owners are looking for something that simply doesn't exist anywhere other than perhaps a Weismann roadster. The NA/NB is more raw, the NC has a bit more of a GT flavor and can carry more tire.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/9/18 6:59 p.m.

BTW, there's a Italia-bodied LS1-powered Miata for sale right now for $25k. Never seen it in person, but it'll definitely turn some heads.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/9/18 7:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

BTW, there's a Italia-bodied LS1-powered Miata for sale right now for $25k. Never seen it in person, but it'll definitely turn some heads.

This post means nothing without a link! 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/9/18 9:04 p.m.

It's on the V8 Miata FB group, so I don't know if this will work: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1618871215007657/?multi_permalinks=2348350055393099&comment_id=2348432772051494&notif_id=1539080104400436

LS1, T56, CTS-V rear, silver Italia body on tan interior. Built with a bunch of parts from us. Email Andrew for photos. Andy Charlish 404 556 1092
andycharlish@bellsouth.net 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
10/9/18 9:10 p.m.

I cross shopped a Corvette when I bought Betty. It was either her or a 2012 GS. Honestly I was just about to pull the trigger when you contacted me on her. I figured there was a couple thousand GS corvettes but only 1 Betty. If I didn't like Betty, I could always sell her and get a GS if I wanted one. But if I passed on Betty and bought the GS, I probably would have never gotten a chance to get Betty. I now have the second most miles on her probably behind Keith. The only other car I really considered was a cobra kit car but I didn't like the steering geometry. 

It's a totally different car. With the NC V8, as Keith said, it's a GT car that just happens to fly. Only car that came close in feel is the 997 turbo I drove and my Ex-Bosses Lambo. It's a throwback style car that just isn't made any more. It's an emotional experience. It's not about the best lap times or the sexiest ride. It's a feeling that you get when you hear the rumble. I drove mine every day when I was in town. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/9/18 9:14 p.m.

Your purchase was a little out of the ordinary wink I was basing my comments on conversations with those that ask us to build one for them, and that's at a different price point. The Cobra is probably the most common comparison, but like you, they're looking for a fundamentally better car.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/9/18 9:15 p.m.

Only driven a 302 powered Miata, but I have to say it set a new bar for how much fun a car can be to drive. The Vette is a  nice place to be a passenger with a round thing in front of you, but never feels engaging.

I have to believe that the Ls in the Miata would make it just that much better of a car  than the 302.

Pete

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/9/18 9:16 p.m.

sunbeam tiger comes to mind

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/9/18 10:23 p.m.

A v8 Boxster? A v8 s2000? 

codrus
codrus UltraDork
10/9/18 10:42 p.m.

A V8 Elise? :)

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/9/18 10:45 p.m.

If you want something replaceable i would definitely buy a Corvette. There is no way to build a V8 Miata that doesn't cost more to replace than a comparably performing c4/c5 (maybe even c6?) unless you get really cheap parts and pay $0 for labor. But if you want a v8 miata, get one!

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
10/10/18 12:49 a.m.

I believe Sofa King has a yellow car that would push all your buttons.

V-8 in a light little car is always a hoot, it depends on what you are after though.  If you are going to go really fast, you want the hard top, preferably a slippery little coupe, say 944, RX-7 or maybe a kit car, Shelby Daytona knockoff.  I am a rag top guy myself, Lotus 7 clone with an LS motor, sounds about right to me.  

V-8 510 is a thing of beauty

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/10/18 1:03 a.m.

V8 Exocet?

LS4 powered midlana?

Storz
Storz SuperDork
10/10/18 7:14 a.m.

I rode in a really hot 383ci powered C4 Corvette one time, that was an eye opening experience. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/10/18 7:31 a.m.

Does anything really “compare” to a V8 Miata?

Bill Cosby Super Cobra maybe?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/10/18 7:52 a.m.

I don’t think we in North America appreciate cars like the AC Ace or Miata or if we do, it’s not for the intended reasons.  Let me explain: I just returned from a 10 day business trip to England where I did over 1000 miles in a rented Vauxhal Astra.  I can say unequivocally that my C5Z would not have worked in that country...even if it were right hand drive.  It’s simply too big.  Even some A roads would be dicey due not only to their narrowness but also from their undulations.  Smaller cars are faster cars for the most part on that island.  Surprisingly I did see around half a dozen new 5.0 Mustangs.  Think your pony car can keep up with a Mini on a narrow two lane with deep ditches and a steady stream of oncoming lorries and giant farm equipment?  Think again.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/10/18 8:46 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I don’t think we in North America appreciate cars like the AC Ace or Miata or if we do, it’s not for the intended reasons.  Let me explain: I just returned from a 10 day business trip to England where I did over 1000 miles in a rented Vauxhal Astra.  I can say unequivocally that my C5Z would not have worked in that country...even if it were right hand drive.  It’s simply too big.  Even some A roads would be dicey due not only to their narrowness but also from their undulations.  Smaller cars are faster cars for the most part on that island.  Surprisingly I did see around half a dozen new 5.0 Mustangs.  Think your pony car can keep up with a Mini on a narrow two lane with deep ditches and a steady stream of oncoming lorries and giant farm equipment?  Think again.

That and the bland food are two reasons that I don't care to be in that island ever again. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
10/10/18 8:49 a.m.
dculberson said:

A v8 Boxster? A v8 s2000? 

LS boxster or a 400hp 3.8 or 4.0 911 engined boxster. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/10/18 9:08 a.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

Have you done a thread on you're NC? Really curious how you're enjoying it.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/10/18 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Enjoying it very much and have even done some modifications already.  I need to close out my fly and drive thread and post some of the things I have done.  

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
10/10/18 10:35 a.m.
yupididit said:

That and the bland food are two reasons that I don't care to be in that island ever again. 

You can make anything taste good with enough Tabasco Sauce.  The bottle does not have to be that big.  See also Dave's Insanity Sauce

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/10/18 10:37 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

sunbeam tiger comes to mind

Classic Motorsports actually did a "comparison" between their Tiger and the LS3-powered NC that bmwrider now owns. This didn't make it into the article, but I believe the comment at the time was something like "how do I write this without looking like an idiot for putting so much money into that Tiger" :) Automobile did a comparison between the same Miata and a "real" continuation Cobra. Again, not in the article - the Cobra overheated during 40 mph cruising through the mountains and had to take a rest.

The V8 Miatas are definitely a relative of those older cars. Just like the difference between the base cars and the Miata, the Miata takes the pain out of the experience and substitutes good suspension, good brakes, functioning HVAC, no leaks, etc.

A hotrodded Boxter would be an interesting alternative. It would have a different feel, of course, but it would quite likely have a similar depth of character. The V8 S2000 would be a variation on the theme.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
43qzpXClXZ0OO7x6Ac8NWihdKD86fuMs7AMRCD3OUUzUFGljYCdx4l5rWmm9nDHH