jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
10/28/17 8:09 a.m.

So I spray can plastidipped my whole car to enjoy a good driving season. I picked the car up extremely cheap but wasn't  ready to drop the dough on a solid paint job. Now its time to do her right, but is canned plastidip easy to remove? Tell me what you think:

http:// https://youtu.be/GAU6-uasBts

<iframe width="330" height="186" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GAU6-uasBts" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/28/17 8:18 a.m.

How many coats did you do? If you only did 1 coat, your life is gonna suck. If you did the recommended 3-4, it will peal off in nice big sheets. 

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
10/28/17 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It's hard to estimate with the cans but i think a good 4 coats. It did pull up in sheets. I'm wondering what the fus is about. I think this is a really underrated solution.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/28/17 9:54 a.m.

I’ve been saying that for years. It lasts too. My car has built up more than 4 

layers over the years. I usually just wash it and touch up the areas that got rock scuffs or stains. I use the flat black though as a protector of the lower body paint on dirt roads. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/28/17 11:10 a.m.

Even if you have a good number of coats, it can get dry, crusty and hard to remove over time. To prevent this you need to add a coat every 2 years or so.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
10/28/17 12:42 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I like add 2 coats a year!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/17 1:38 a.m.

Ha! Funny, because on the Murdercycle, I'd never clean the dip, or remove it for a color change, just add another layer. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
10/29/17 8:56 a.m.

I had a really bad experience with it after buying a car someone else dipped, where it took me about 10 hours across two days with a pressure washer and every solvent known to humanity to get it all off. It was a nightmare!

I know that one was probably not applied correctly or maintained well but it has definitely made me hesitant towards Plastidip as a result.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
10/29/17 7:17 p.m.

How does Plastidip do submerged? I have a couple 25lbs weights I use on a pool ladder and after painting and wrapping them in plastic every year, I was wondering if this would be a better option

Huckleberry Snorklewacker
Huckleberry Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/29/17 7:40 p.m.

Does anyone know if it can be used to make a peel-off super hero suit for Halloween? Will it harm the liver or genitals?

Asking for a friend.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/29/17 8:33 p.m.
Huckleberry Snorklewacker said:

Does anyone know if it can be used to make a peel-off super hero suit for Halloween? Will it harm the liver or genitals?

Asking for a friend.

It's safer for your hootus than bedliner.

parker
parker Reader
10/29/17 9:53 p.m.

Asking for a friend.

It turns into a nightmare on removal

Run_Away
Run_Away HalfDork
10/29/17 10:05 p.m.

In reply to parker :

Not if you get a really close shave first

grover
grover HalfDork
6/14/18 11:11 p.m.
Run_Away said:

In reply to parker :

Not if you get a really close shave first

heck, this stuff will give you that full Brazilian look you've been dreaming of.  

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/14/18 11:19 p.m.
parker said:

Asking for a friend.

It turns into a nightmare on removal

Removal of the liver or the genitals?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
6/15/18 2:54 a.m.

I hear the metallic colors are tough to remove:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/15/18 6:30 a.m.

Ive never had a good platidip removal experience. Ever.

Laquer thinner is the best solvent so far.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/15/18 7:34 a.m.

Pressure washer will strip it right off.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/15/18 9:22 a.m.

I've also heard that just a little gasoline makes it fall right off.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
6/15/18 1:02 p.m.

Toluene and naptha apparently are the ingredients in the plastidip thinner product.

https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/f740_MSDS_thinner.pdf

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MzRwiPnJbVToHm9hqWxyhRk9ukDr6hpJU0Nt5VX9A8PCJpBm6SCTef0hXratb49g