_
_ HalfDork
6/29/19 3:33 p.m.

my main question is “is this how most miatas came from the factory?” I’ve seen some really E36 M3e wiring jobs from manufacturers prior to year 2000. 

My drivers blinker once in awhile freaks out, but then goes back to normal. I blamed it on the trash wiring job the PO did, but I fixed that issue and it still sometimes freaks out “psycho blinker” style.

both side marker lights work, and my brake lights work. Do I dare dig into that melted sack? Or do I let sleeping sacks lie?

the other circled objects are a melted tar like substance that appears to be how someone “affixed” to the back bumper cover onto the support.

Shadeux
Shadeux New Reader
6/29/19 4:42 p.m.

Maybe there was a grass fire under it one time? I donno, wires bother me, but I learned many moons ago to make everything sano and solder and shrink wrap the joint and then the ends of the first shrink wrap. Anything less than overkill I just get electrical weirdness.

My 1995 Miata has no wiring issues like yours.  I'm guessing stupid and beer was involved.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/29/19 4:54 p.m.

That looks like your Miata caught the clap. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
6/29/19 9:24 p.m.

When I get back to DFW, if you want, I can take photos of what it should look like.  My Miata is an excellent example of a driver.  Cleanest one I’ve seen over 100k miles, which is why I bought it.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
6/29/19 11:45 p.m.

Here's what that area looks like on my 91 that was conveniently on the lift already..  

The only wire even remotely in that area is the turn signal wires, and they're supposed to be pretty neatly tucked as the second picture shows.

Enhance!

My guess is the exhaust tube into the muffler cracked and he drove around for a while melting things.  That happened to my daily beater Miata..

_
_ HalfDork
6/30/19 3:01 a.m.

Thats a Good explanation. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U9Ls3cyzLGz0USnEyHsqGcxZ4lCxvkfselTxueFpYlXsbRgOM8JiP4KvFlxwYF1h