stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/18/19 7:14 p.m.

As has been pointed out many times by the staff, if you see a canoe post don't respond to it...instead, put a link to it in this discussion:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/linky-for-reporting-canoes/78841/page1/

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/18/19 7:31 p.m.

But what if i want to BUY IELTS CERTIFICATE in kuwaits?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/18/19 7:35 p.m.

Serious question:  Why isn't there a captcha + secret question like most other forums?  Those seem to do a good job of eliminating bots.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/18/19 7:48 p.m.

Is it kind of like spam emails?  Don't even open them?  MS preview function can even tip off spammers that an email is valid.  indecision

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
10/18/19 8:01 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Not really; with email the issue is that a request for an embedded image in the email confirms that the email is being opened. So whether you fully open the email or preview it, your mail client has to download any images it contains, and the sender will have given them unique IDs so the image request is associated with the email address.

The canoes aren't posting images, and without servers comparing notes on the backend they wouldn't know who was viewing them anyhow, so the only way they get an actual response is if folks click links they provide. But annoyingly if the search engines notice links that they've embedded here even if nobody's reading those pages, the links will be given extra "weight" by having them present on a well-visited site like GRM. I believe someone noted that the seemingly useless canoes which where mostly copied old posts were occasionally being updated after the fact with junk links.

Ugh.

_
_ HalfDork
10/18/19 8:31 p.m.

Can we include all the "SEMA says if you don't sign this waiver we will all have to drive a Prius" posts as canoes?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/19 8:32 p.m.

So oKAy TO StaNd in CanoE but nO pOst?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/18/19 8:32 p.m.

I just think the thumb down button should not tally anything but generate a flag/report for mods to check in on that post. My .02. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/18/19 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

They'd be checking every frenchy post that yupididit sees

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/19/19 5:26 a.m.

So, from this mod's perspective...

yes, I'd rather you link to the offending post in the "Report Canoes" thread, rather than responding "Canoe" in the thread.  I can usually pick out if I need to look at a thread for canoeing, based on the thread title and the user name in combination... although that gets harder if you follow up with a "Canoe!" post, and I don't see the user name as the last post.

If I see the "Report Canoes" thread on the front page (or second page), it's usually the first thing I'll got check.

But, you know, this is all voluntary... and some of y'all have good responses to our watercraft aficionados... so, I fully expect this comment to be ignored, just like that thread on here.

Also, by all means, jump in the 'Report Canoes' thread and ask for a thread title change!  It'll happen a lot faster if it pops up there, and that's fun to do.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/19/19 9:39 p.m.

Those are all in the danger zone anyway, i fail to see how this is a bad idea. cheeky (I upvoted your post because lols) 

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
10/20/19 9:13 a.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to Vigo :

Lmao oh I laughed hard at this. I don't thumbs down only up. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/20/19 9:29 a.m.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/20/19 12:46 p.m.

I've posted several links to the moderator's canoe thread. I've always added a reply, thinking that it served a purpose.

My assumption, was that if someone else opened the thread, they would see my post and know that it had already been reported.

Sometimes, it's also fun to figure out some way to work in the word "canoe" to my reply.

I'm glad I read this discussion. From now on I'll just paste the link in the appropriate location, no reply.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/20/19 1:27 p.m.

I enjoy reading the descriptive canoe reports and replies. Since we got the bomb tool fixxored there should not be an issue with replying in a canoe thread, but that was definitely frustrating for a few members who got their profiles deleted along with the spammer.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/20/19 2:29 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Like Mr DepressedCorvair

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/20/19 3:41 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I enjoy reading the descriptive canoe reports and replies. Since we got the bomb tool fixxored there should not be an issue with replying in a canoe thread, but that was definitely frustrating for a few members who got their profiles deleted along with the spammer.

I thought that problem still existed, which is why I started this thread...if it isn't I guess there isn't a problem, but people should still report them.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/20/19 3:55 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
EastCoastMojo said:

I thought that problem still existed, which is why I started this thread...if it isn't I guess there isn't a problem, but people should still report them.

Ooh, I didn't know that replying in a canoe thread was what had led to some established forum members being accidentally banned.

I'm glad I didn't get caught up in that. While I get an irrational degree of satisfaction from my dork status, I would most hate to lose my user name.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/20/19 5:17 p.m.

All profiles were restored in the end, and no dorkitude or usernames were lost to my knowledge. Thanks to all who report canoes in the reporting thread, it really helps a ton. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/20/19 6:42 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

All profiles were restored in the end, and no dorkitude or usernames were lost to my knowledge. Thanks to all who report canoes in the reporting thread, it really helps a ton. 

I find it gratifying to participate in protecting the forum.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FtObIK1fxChpb6z2oj3KkYZFHxRjFrjhNEwPWcS7oEtwLfiBKpvapGtxBc8VM4G4