1 2 3
Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
7/15/22 1:27 p.m.

Please make it, I promise I will buy one. Gas, electric, I don't care. 

Hyundai N Vision 74

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/15/22 1:39 p.m.

Oh, lawd.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/15/22 1:45 p.m.

They are knocking it out of the park, county, state.... planet. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
7/15/22 1:48 p.m.

Everybody's been talking about the Ionic 6 N or whatever the other car in the trailer was. That's cool, but this car... I couldn't take my eyes off it. It's perfect. The literal Platonic form of Cool. I love it.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
7/15/22 1:51 p.m.

Agreed....this car speaks to my soul

Granted it could just be the 80's-ness of it thats making me like it so much.

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
7/15/22 1:53 p.m.

Wow, yeah, that is the best looking concept I have seen in a long time.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/15/22 2:10 p.m.

This is the first concept car in a long while that has reached out to me and slapped me across the face with awesomeness. Holy hell it rules so hard!!!

And the whole story behind it is great. Hyundai commissioned ItalDesign way back in the early 70's to build this thing: 

The 1974 Hyundai Pony. Squint at it a bit. What else does it look like? 

ItalDesign tweaked it a bit after Hyundai passed on production and they eventually honed it into the DeLorean DMC-12...

And the wicked BMW M1...

And also the Isuzu Piazza/Impulse! 

Also, they tried making it full EV but were only getting 35ish miles per charge on the track, so that's why they ended up with the hydrogen hybrid setup. Now the range is around 375mi combined with normal driving. The whole thing is amazing, from the story to the performance. I love it and I want one.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/15/22 2:12 p.m.

Hyundai needs to make this car. Even if they just threw in the current N line up turbo 4 while they sorted out the hydrogen hybrid stuff, I would buy it. I mean it hits all the feels from Back to the Future, to Cyber Punk, to just being all around rad. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/15/22 2:19 p.m.

Now we know where the Starion designers ended up. 

I really want to see these prowling the streets. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/15/22 2:25 p.m.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/15/22 2:33 p.m.

It won't make front end pedestrian impact as pictured without some magical stuff I don't see in the photos. 

But it would be nice if it could and we can see them pounding around here and there. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/15/22 2:35 p.m.

What would a street going version look like?

I agree just toss in the 2.0T N engine + Genesis G60 6spd trans + rear limited slip diff and shut up and take everyone's money

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/15/22 3:13 p.m.

Here's the thing: knowing Hyundai lately, they will see the response to this car and put some form of it into production. They have been on fire lately and aren't pulling any punches. I'd love to see a whole variety of these, from turbo 4 "pedestrian" versions to the cool hydrogen hybrid setup the concept has as a halo car. It might be the coolest thing they have ever built. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/15/22 3:14 p.m.

I'm confused because it seems to be taking a completely different design direction from the Ionic 6. That said, I love it!  

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
7/15/22 3:46 p.m.
Advan046 said:

It won't make front end pedestrian impact as pictured without some magical stuff I don't see in the photos. 

shush. 

iansane
iansane Dork
7/15/22 4:01 p.m.

Even a roadgoing version sans wings/splitter/vents would look like a seriously cool showroom stock car. Turbo 4, 6, 8, whatever they want enginewise and it'd sell. Just. rwd please.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
7/15/22 4:22 p.m.

First the 5, now this...

Hyundai certainly figured out the best way to redefine people's perception of the brand - without even mentioning the capabilities of their N versions

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
7/15/22 4:35 p.m.

I like that.

Sell it to us, please. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/15/22 5:02 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm confused because it seems to be taking a completely different design direction from the Ionic 6. That said, I love it!  

There lead designer did a 15-20 minute talk on Top Gear and his words were to the effect.

The Ionic cars are each their own thing, they do not need to follow a corporate design language, they just need to look cool. 

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
7/15/22 5:08 p.m.
Slippery said:
Advan046 said:

shush. 

Would this really be any more dangerous than getting punted by the front of any full-size pickup?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/15/22 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

Probably, yes. The impact would be all in your legs as opposed to spread over your entire body. The mass of the vehicle is irrelevant in this case as it's so much larger than the mass of you.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/15/22 6:39 p.m.
Slippery said:
Advan046 said:

shush. 

LOLlaughwink

Sorry..... I hope that they can get something like it made even if it is a limited production "off road use only" thing. It is beautiful! 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/15/22 6:46 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

There lead designer did a 15-20 minute talk on Top Gear and his words were to the effect.

The Ionic cars are each their own thing, they do not need to follow a corporate design language, they just need to look cool. 

Now I'm really impressed! Such a step away from the corporate design-by-committee approach out there. This one could have been penned by the Ionic 5 guy, another car that I really like. The Ionic 6 is something different altogether, and doesn't really work for me. 

A little off track, but where I live EVs are a big thing, and the Kia EV6 seems to be the non-Tesla car of the moment.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/15/22 7:14 p.m.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Maine to a high-end touristy area, and I saw a TON of EV's. They are the hotness right now in that crowd. Even though they just came out, I must have seen at least 10-15 Ioniq 5's and EV6's EACH in one town alone! Lots of Teslas, but it's clear that Hyundai has something good going and people have noticed. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/15/22 7:30 p.m.

It looks like a real car with real style and real desire. They clearly can't build it.

Only boring ugly 4 door things get built these days because "thats what sells"

(The very, very few exceptions  are so expensive few can buy them. Then the manufacturers  complain about slow sales and make even less of them.)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uq2iBNBFHQNgdKydzKzcfnJkidrHpkaaJibK10GDS0dcHUlccoRoVpXvhNKknr0w