Claff
Claff New Reader
4/16/10 11:13 p.m.

I'm trying to partially address my 99 Miata's tail-happy autocrossing behavior by disconnecting the rear sway bar. Is this something I can simply pull and forget about it or should I just disconnect the endlinks before an event and hook everything back up for every day driving? What am I giving up by not having one back there while I go to work and back or take a spirited romp through my favorite two-laners?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/16/10 11:15 p.m.

Run a course with it installed correctly, then run it without, try it out and see for yourself.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/16/10 11:27 p.m.

It should be enough to disconnect the end links to feel the difference

Greasyman
Greasyman New Reader
4/17/10 12:18 a.m.

I have a disconnected rear sway and a Jackson Racing front bar and I leave them the rear disconnected on the street. Today I took a little blast down some very twisty roads and I didn't once even think about the sways, the car felt fine. I only removed my end links and left the sway on, because at first I thought I might reconnect it. That was months ago and I haven't once done so. I suppose taking it off would save some weight, maybe I'll do that while I'm thinking of it.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
4/17/10 7:10 a.m.

Pull and forget about it. I did on my 90.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
4/17/10 7:36 a.m.

actually all you have to do is disconnect one end... (if it's not connected at both ends it's not doing anything... )

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/17/10 9:36 a.m.

On my S52 swapped E30, we upped the rear spring rate and ran no rear bar. The rear end was still plenty easy to rotate with ~235whp on tap, and the car rode MUCH better.

Even with much stiffer springs, think we were running 550/750 f/r on the E30.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
4/17/10 11:39 a.m.

I find a Miata with no rear sway to feel dead, personally. All of my cars run them and I find them a lot more fun to drive. But in the last year or so, that's become unfashionable. I can see why autocrossers do it, but outside of that particular subset of automotive dynamics I haven't found the appeal.

It doesn't take long to try it, though. Give it a shot. Drive it on the street with the rear sway connected and with it disconnected. Takes about as long to try it and make up your own mind as it does to ask the question on a forum

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
4/17/10 1:13 p.m.

the standard answer is (and remember this is generic and YMMV) no bar on the end that has the drive wheels...

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/17/10 1:22 p.m.

Hmm. I know that loads of front bar is a "good thing" in many FWD camber challenged cars.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
4/17/10 4:30 p.m.

hadn't thought about that ... I have adj A-arms so have ~ 3 1/2° neg camber in the front

and I have heard of some FWD cars using larger front bars, just never gone that route myself...

splitime
splitime Reader
4/17/10 5:03 p.m.

I run a big front bar and no rear bar on my turbo track miata. I like it.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
4/17/10 6:47 p.m.

that's the "standard" way... RWD=large front bar.... FWD=large rear bar

but as njansenv pointed out not all cars fit the "standard"

Claff
Claff New Reader
4/17/10 9:00 p.m.

Pulled the endlinks off today and will be running it tomorrow. We shall see how it goes.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/17/10 10:17 p.m.

I have a pretty large rear bar on my mustang. I like a car that drives a little loose though.

omtek
omtek
6/19/13 3:51 a.m.

Roof Rails Back and Side Protection ArmRest Carbon Coating, *Wood Coating web@omtec.com.tr www.omtec.com.tr Auto accessories center https://www.facebook.com/Omtec https://twitter.com/OmtecAutomotive

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/19/13 4:41 a.m.

Canoe

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
6/19/13 7:26 a.m.

Drink?

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
6/19/13 7:35 a.m.

I know it is a zombie thread but I am posting anyway.

I don't have any swaybars on my Miata and it handles fine on the street.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/19/13 8:22 a.m.

My rear swaybar resides in my storage closet so I can kill zombies with it.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/19/13 9:33 a.m.

Mine are all still in place......I probably don't need them on my '91 now, but it just handles so flat now.

The ti is probably getting the front one removed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vbAwQfIXzrTNzuIIOunPwmmmdzNogqmzjeXxhUF5fWohOiHRSMY1Azck4kfXkeex