2 3 4
pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/9/14 3:26 p.m.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/1996/11/performance-small-block-chevy-engines/

Probably a lot of good information in there, and there's ring end gap specs, but I only see them for forged and hypereutectic pistons. That said, the piston manufacturer or the ring manufacturer again would be "best" sources of information I think.

DCharger68
DCharger68 New Reader
3/9/14 10:26 p.m.

Is there any specific way to put can gears on? Or do I just put the gears on and line up the dots?

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/9/14 11:46 p.m.

Do you mean a gear drive for the cam? With the three gear design I know you can get offset dowel pins for degreeing the cam just like a chain. As for the dog bone style, I'm not sure.

A degree wheel would be a nice investment if you couldn't borrow or rent one. That way you'll know exactly what the cam is doing. Even if a manufacturer say its XX, manufacturing tolerances can affect the actulal phasing.

DCharger68
DCharger68 New Reader
3/10/14 12:18 a.m.

I've got a double roller timing chain and gears I'm going to use. I know the crank needs to be at tdc, but I wasn't sure if the cam itself had to be in a particular position.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/10/14 11:20 a.m.

Yes it does. Advancing or retarding the cam can have a great effect on the engine. That would be something cool to test. Set up the cam straight up when the 307 is NA and then advance to close the intake sooner it once its supercharged to prevent blow through. That's were the degree wheel will pay for itself.

DCharger68
DCharger68 New Reader
3/10/14 12:00 p.m.

The timing chain I bought has marks on it for advancing and retarding the cam 2 degrees.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/7/15 9:48 a.m.

Hey what ended up happening?

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AzmIak9RbfIjeXhGfXNGkOD1xY1QGxpsELQwK6mIcBE0XKEjjFIjOjNnWXmz7iCe