1 2
foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/2/12 6:59 a.m.

I happen to own a Shopsmith myself. Pretty interesting wood working tool.

And, I have a seperate drill press. Because as much as I do like my Shopsmith, it makes a lousy metal working tool. I suspect the same will be true with this Paramount Woodworker. Neither are rigid enough or strong enough for metal working.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
11/2/12 1:45 p.m.

I picked up a Shoptask 2000 mill/drill/lathe for light metal work.
It can take standard R-8 or MT3 tooling, swings 13" over the ways, has autofeed carriage drive, etc
Not a high precision tool, but with some care and attention, you can achieve very good results

Machining fuel injector pockets into a Spitfire single carb manifold:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13867611@N04/1517807268/in/set-72157602324566095/.

Look on CL and such (or estate sales) for bargains, you can find machine & tooling for pennies on the dollar.

Carter

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
11/2/12 2:04 p.m.

after the discussion about the woodworker, I have to admit it's probably not what I need. (but DANG it's cool, and for $50....)

But I found a 17", 1.5HP, 5/8" chuck Craftsman on the North side of A-town for $100, supposed to go see the guy Sunday. It's quite a drive, but should be worth it. Looks like a solid unit in good shape.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
11/4/12 7:26 p.m.

So I told the seller of the Paramount Woodworker that it wouldn't work. I picked this 1.5 hp monster up for $100. The pic shows it home safe in my shop after a day long run to Atl to get it.

Thanks for all the wisdom GRM. Most appreciated.

Edit: I can't tell on my phone if the pic loaded. It's a pre-Kmart Craftsman 17" with 5/8" chuck. Lightly used solely for woodworking.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
11/5/12 7:09 a.m.

Good on ya' !

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
9/11/17 6:55 a.m.

In reply to BJDavid :

I reckon that'll only be useful in drilling hole in your canoe

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/11/17 6:59 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe deleted

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/11/17 7:11 a.m.
Curmudgeon said:

I have a Delta 1/2" benchtop which has been great, it looks almost exactly like the top one in Dan's pictures. I have drilled or holesawed stuff thicker than 1/4" with no problems. I've never used it on stainless, though.

I haz a sad. sad

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/11/17 9:01 a.m.

Floor model with the rack and pinion raise/lower function. 1/2" chuck goes without saying.

Ease of speed change is a big deal since it should be done often. If I could figure out how, I would have a variable speed control on the thing.

Don't forget the value of a good vise: a vise that clamps to the drilling table and can adjust in an X-Y pattern is a big asset.

Buy as heavy-duty and big as you can afford. $200 is pretty much used hobby range and while you willl do a ton of work with it, you will have drill press envy for as long as you own it.

The milling machine is a great tool, but not going to see anything for under $2k

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/11/17 9:27 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Curmudgeon said:

I have a Delta 1/2" benchtop which has been great, it looks almost exactly like the top one in Dan's pictures. I have drilled or holesawed stuff thicker than 1/4" with no problems. I've never used it on stainless, though.

I haz a sad. sad

It's always kind of a shock when these pop up. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/11/17 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

It really is.  I never met the guy face to face, but we conversed here a good bit.  I sent him part he needed for the GT-6 he was working on right before he passed.  A lot of the car guys up here knew Mike very well, as I know you did.          

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/12/17 7:15 a.m.

This is a project was building for the challenge but it's not going to make it. It's a turbo flange I built with hand tools. With a 12in drill press from Harbor Freight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KMRyqsrxw6xiAWCK2

ProBest
ProBest New Spammer
9/19/19 4:12 p.m.

[canoe vs. kayak spam review] may be helpful here!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/19/19 4:15 p.m.

7 year old canoe.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/19/19 4:35 p.m.

holy crap a foxtrapper post..  another great lost to the ages..

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
9/19/19 4:36 p.m.

Rikon is the same as all the Jet, Central Machinery, Delta etc gak from offshore. They just seem to be backing it with a better warranty than everyone else.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w0rq5DnZmqVZpuKA2XQyKkkzrqVVq83mBlsQU3HNFQY5CPPHdwqUsNaqEoGZk7N5