1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/3/21 8:30 a.m.
feature_image

What’s your take on those drilled, bolt-on pedal covers: a great way to interface with the car or just some extra stuff to get in the way?

We originally ran this set on a Sentra SE-R that we had from 1992 through 1995. We can’t remember the brand, the source or even the situation.

Si…

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/3/21 8:42 a.m.

Don't care one way or the other. What is much more important is grip between your shoe and the peddle. I really like these. They have hard rubber nubs that grip to just about any shoe superbly. 

This car of mine is paddle shifters so no third peddle. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/3/21 8:48 a.m.

Oh we did use peddle plates in some of the race cars to make heal and toe better but in racing conditions we found you need positive attachment like bolts through the peddle or welding things in place. Ones from the speed isle in the auto parts store that clipped in place or were a friction fit or even used bolts to clamp them in place always come loose or came off and that can get exciting for a driver diving in to a corner. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/3/21 8:52 a.m.

Dean Moon knew the truth.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
9/3/21 9:25 a.m.

PEDAL

/endrant

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
9/3/21 9:47 a.m.

I'm going with shoes being as much or more important than pedals. I don't ever recall having problems with slick pedals. 

I'm not a fan of the drilled ones. That's a form over function purchase with money that could be better spent on something that actually makes the car better.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. Don't take it personally. If you like the drilled ones, by all means, use them. I don't hate you for it or think you are stupid. 

Edit: Are those held on with zip screws? Having sharp pointy things down there with your feet in a race car falls under inadvisable and generally a bad idea. 

350z247
350z247 Reader
9/3/21 9:55 a.m.

It's gonna be a "no" from me dawg...

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/3/21 9:56 a.m.

I got a set along with some other parts and put them on my NB miata. I kinda like them, but I wouldn't really go spending much money on them either. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/3/21 10:00 a.m.

We actually did some testing on ours, and they have more grip than rubber or smooth metal pedal when you have wet shoes. 50% more grip when dry and 30% more grip when wet. The important thing is that they're not just drilled, they have ridges.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/21 10:15 a.m.

Another important consideration is you can use them to make some pedals closer together by shifting the cover over a bit. I wouldn't suggest this for brake or clutch, but you CAN get the gas pedal closer for heel toe action with the correctly placed gas pedal cover. 

And that can be a real performance improver too. 

Finally, wasn't there a bit about the McLaren F1 having the pedals drilled out to the absolute possible minumum weight while still meeting the force requirements? That's cool too. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/3/21 10:17 a.m.

Which gives me an idea - assuming the factory pedal is flat steel (after removing the rubber cover), what about drilling it and using something to curl the lip of the holes up? Increase traction and reduce weight. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/3/21 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Dimple Dies

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/3/21 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

That is exactly the word I was looking for but couldn't place!

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
9/3/21 12:45 p.m.

If they're rigidly mounted, fine.  But if they move around at all, they're useless if not dangerous.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/3/21 1:13 p.m.

Plain steel pedals with holes dimpled to the driver's foot side are perfect - very rough on soles, but we're here for a good time not a long time.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/3/21 1:28 p.m.
RadBarchetta said:

PEDAL

/endrant

Thank you.  If you ever write a book about pedals, I will help you peddle it.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/3/21 1:38 p.m.

I like them for the ability to adjust pedal position for my big feet.  My friends do give me e36m3 for them though.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/3/21 1:57 p.m.

The rubber covers on my clutch and brake pedals died, so I stuck on some skateboard griptape I had sitting around. Works great.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
9/3/21 2:16 p.m.

i made my own using some aluminum diamond plate (from spashgaurds)

cut with a dremel and bent a little bit.

then bolted through the pedal,  not clamped.

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/3/21 2:19 p.m.

Nothing hurts worse than a heel/toe in wet shoes that has your toes slide off the brake, miss the shift, mess up the braking point, AND have the brake pedal come swinging back at your shin.... and the whole time the instructor is yelling "what are you doing?!?!?"

I never went back to that DMV. 

David S. Wallens
9/3/21 2:33 p.m.

Has anyone ever removed the rubber covers and just run skateboard grip tape?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/3/21 3:08 p.m.

I strongly prefer the ones that you need to drill holes and bolt them down solidly.  I'm kind of looking for something like that for the MR2.  

David S. Wallens
9/3/21 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Junghole :

Ba dum tsss.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/21 3:21 p.m.
Junghole said:

Nothing hurts worse than a heel/toe in wet shoes that has your toes slide off the brake, miss the shift, mess up the braking point, AND have the brake pedal come swinging back at your shin.... and the whole time the instructor is yelling "what are you doing?!?!?"

I never went back to that DMV. 

Oh you guy - oh you

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
9/3/21 3:30 p.m.

I bought a set for a heavily modified Civic hatchback.   I thought that it was the only car I owned, up to that point, where these fit in.  I also had a " knockoff " Mugen style metal shift knob.  Strangely, I can't say for sure that I ever installed the pedal covers as they struck me as making the pedals MORE, not LESS slippery.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z01GFkQhIzfvsifBrHaK8suL49KRLkz8BHN5GJWcbAAhY2cCJM9BwKVMYrwJRbhD