RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/15/20 11:13 a.m.

So hopped in the truck to leave this morning, and my door wouldn't shut. Drivers side door. 

Worked the latch on the outside and it worked fine, once. Now the only way I can get it to stay shut is to lock it.

I was initially thinking because it was so cold, but now I'm not so sure.

Lube? Graphite? New door latch?

I'm trying to put as little money into this thing as possible because I want it in the market ASAGDMFP, but I clearly can't sell it if the door doesn't work.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
12/15/20 12:00 p.m.

So I did some searching and it looks like this is a common problem with older Ford trucks across the line - all F-Series and Rangers.  Generally thought to be an issue with the exterior door handle when cold.  Found a couple of 'solutions'...

Flick the door handle several times - works for some. 

Another is to remove the small rubber bumper under the door handle, shave it down by 1/4" and replace it.  Theory is that the cold makes the rubber hard and won't allow the handle to fully close.

Final possibility is that the plastic piece on the door striker (screwed onto the post which the door lock catches) is worn away. Check the striker. If it is missing that is the cause.

I think that I would try to warm the handle with a heat gun or hair drier and see if that fixes it.  If it works, you at least have a starting place for troubleshooting.

YMMV.  Good luck

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
12/15/20 12:33 p.m.

Do you have the Ford metal or plastic handles?

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
12/15/20 12:35 p.m.

If it can't work, it may be eligible for some kind of assistance with all the COVID stuff going on.

On a more serious note, good luck getting it operational again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M09orcBE8g7LSceyM8oHOuJnAxKmsfz8o9BoaZKM7MsTwEpdDIne7gsFDDs73uC3