nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/23/20 2:13 p.m.

While out playing with sidewalk chalk in my driveway this morning, my 2 and 4 year old kids scratched the living crap out of the black paint on my Boxster.  Every single body panel has scratches on it--some light and small, others large and deep.  Even from ten feet away it looks like a crazy ex-girlfriend keyed my car.  

Fury aside, now I've got to decide what to do next. Some of the smaller scratches can be buffed out, but there are scratches down to the primer all over the car.  I have zero experience with pait and body work, but I'm interested in attempting a DIY solution.  If you were in my place, would you try to repair the paint yourself? Wrap the car? Plastidip it?  Something else?

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
7/23/20 2:16 p.m.

Adoption?

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/23/20 2:17 p.m.

Oof. That sucks.

How much are you willing to put into this project? I'd be tempted to give wrapping it myself a shot, given my recent experience with DIY touchup paint. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 2:18 p.m.

Insurance is kinda made for this.  If you want to wrap you still need to fill the scratches or they'll show through 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/23/20 2:20 p.m.
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) said:

How much are you willing to put into this project? 

Think Maaco money, not repair at the Porsche dealer.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/23/20 2:29 p.m.

Home owners insurance will cover this - you can run your math vs making a claim on your insurance - give them a ring.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 2:39 p.m.

Oh man, that's a bummer. What's the boxster worth? It might make a difference in how you end up trying to get it fixed. 

Also, similar story: my BIL once cleared snow off my FILs car while shoveling the drive - by climbing up on top of the car and using a shovel on the hood, roof, and trunklid. So dents and heavy scratches. However, to make things worse, it wasn't even my FILs car. He was in sales at the time and it was a company car. Must've been a fun call to the boss. 

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/23/20 3:22 p.m.

I would see who your friendly local Porsche dealer or other high-end dealer uses for paint correction and touch up on their used cars, then have them take a look at it. Even if they can't buff out ALL the scratches, I'll bet they can make most of the mess disappear.  Always good to save original paint if you can. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/23/20 3:39 p.m.

Good thing is that, given their ages, they have many years of indentured servitude to pay off the debt. Just don't make washing the car one of their chores.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
7/23/20 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

And that's when your status as "the good son-in-law" was cemented, right? laugh

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 4:37 p.m.

Set them up with a scholarship to the University of Idaho.  They are already Vandals.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/20 4:50 p.m.

If they are not through the clear coat, you should be able do deal with most of them by polishing.  Even deep clear coat scratched can be dealt with pretty well with touch up paint.  Are you sure most are not just chalk marks?  What where they scratching it with?

Maybe post some pics, and we can quell you fear (or, maybe confirm them).

Oh, and you DEFINITELY want to have the pictures for future use.... graduations parties...  marriages..  good stuff.  Make sure to get the "offenders" in some of the pics. smiley

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/23/20 6:16 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

Set them up with a scholarship to the University of Idaho.  They are already Vandals.

Thank you!!!

OP- Insurance. They're barely toddlers. Love them forever and teach them kindly.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

On a related tangent- so that I know it's my parents or brother, I just (finally) made Go Vandals their ring tone.  I can even hear my part in it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/23/20 7:25 p.m.

Insurance was built for this.  You pay for it, you should use it.

My daughter only got "Sar" scratched into the paint on my Camaro.  The"ah" I managed to stop...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/20 7:35 p.m.

Bedliner.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
7/23/20 11:41 p.m.

Roll on a couple of coats of chalkboard paint.  Think how happy your kids will be!

Seriously, Insurance is probably the answer if scratches are through the clear coat.  Don't think you'll get acceptable results on a linear scratch with the DR colorchip type solutions.

stroker
stroker UberDork
7/24/20 7:20 a.m.

Keep all the receipts so you can justify why they're paying for their own tuition costs...  :)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/24/20 9:45 a.m.

Insurance.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/24/20 9:59 a.m.

I'm assuming this isn't an option?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_selling

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
7/24/20 8:52 p.m.

@tom suddard and other GRM folks - two dozen likes has to get me in the running for the magazine section, right? lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H1UxufzSCnnMCEzAGm6FdtNwCcnSctCRa1yJ4WVHPPQLAObFelf6hXUDBinpp8EU