1 2
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/13/08 12:23 p.m.

So, a bit of a pidly thing, but: does anyone have suggestions on driving gloves?

It's starting to get chilly, and I want to keep my hands warm. I had a pair of pretty nice nomex race gloves, but they got stolen out of my Miata. Now, I'm looking for decent cheap driving gloves.

I'm not actually racing, just doing HPDE. But I'm still of a mind that, as unlikely as a fire might be, I probably don't want anything like polyester on my hands that will melt and prevent me from a safe egress. Any suggestions for good driving gloves in the $20-$30 range? Or should I just bite the bullet and pop for a pair of $50+ racing gloves?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
10/13/08 1:06 p.m.

For HPDE a pair of bright orange or red racing gloves will help people see if/when you point by.

Maybe there is something in blaze orange in the local hunting supply shop? I would think for shooting you wouldn't want something overly flamable, bulky and lacking in feeling. At least I wouldn't.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/13/08 1:09 p.m.

check the ebays, used gloves might work well.

I am getting a set of Used AlpineStar golves for 30 bucks next weekend. there are deals out there.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/13/08 1:14 p.m.

I'm going to go to an Army Surplus store after work. I'll see if I can get some hunting gloves or some flight gloves. Hmm... apparently new flight gloves are about $25 online. They have essentially the same construction as a basic racing glove.

car39
car39 Reader
10/13/08 4:21 p.m.

Try motor cross gloves from a bike shop. Not too expensive, good grip and feel

mtn
mtn Dork
10/13/08 4:23 p.m.

Baseball batting gloves.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/13/08 4:50 p.m.

These non-driving gloves are all good for their intended applications, but they aren't fire resistant. For instance the motocross gloves are generally a leather palm and polyester backing, making them pretty much a tinderbox.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/13/08 5:32 p.m.

I'd like to find a decent pair of wool gloves with some sort of grip on the palms and fingers. Or maybe leather gloves with a wool lining. Those would also have the advantage of not looking like a moron if used for general activity.

Wool and other natural fibers aren't as good as nomex, but they don't melt like polyester. I have been taught that, in a fire, wearing polyester or other plastic-based fabrics is worse than being naked. Cloth will ignite, but not melt. And I believe wool is relatively flame-resistant too.

I don't need actively flame resistant gloves. I just need something that will not become a hindrance in the unlikely event of a fire.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/13/08 5:43 p.m.
Salanis wrote: ... flight gloves. Hmm... apparently new flight gloves are about $25 online. They have essentially the same construction as a basic racing glove.

Solved.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/13/08 5:44 p.m.

Check your local Home Depot or Lowes. You should be able to find a pair of cotton work gloves with some sort of grippy stuff on the fingers. Also try Sears for their 47 variations of mechanic's gloves. Many are probably synthetic fibers, but you might be able to find something suitable.

Personally, I wear a pair of unlined deerskin gloves I got from a motorcycle supply. It's all I ever need around here.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/14/08 5:07 a.m.

Don't let anyone catch you doing this.

Go to the womens section, and look for rabbit fur lined gloves. Very warm, easy to get on and off, short fingers so they fit without hanging off the ends.

If that bothers you, find mens black dress gloves with the wool lining. The Navy uses these. Fit well, more masculine then rabbit fur, not quite as warm and comfortable.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/14/08 11:00 a.m.

I wouldn't feel wrong for buying women's gloves. Warm and comfy aren't bad. Unfortunately, I have looooong fingers. I have a hell of a time finding glove that fit. I usually end up with webbing. Either that, our they're too wide.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
10/14/08 11:31 a.m.
billy3esq wrote: Check your local Home Depot or Lowes. You should be able to find a pair of cotton work gloves with some sort of grippy stuff on the fingers. Also try Sears for their 47 variations of mechanic's gloves. Many are probably synthetic fibers, but you might be able to find something suitable. Personally, I wear a pair of unlined deerskin gloves I got from a motorcycle supply. It's all I ever need around here.

I like the rubber gripped, stretchy work gloves. Here's a tip: Check out your local $1 store. I find the same ones there that sell for $4-6 at the big boxes.

Make ok driving gloves as long as there's no chance of FIRE!

MiaTurbo
MiaTurbo New Reader
10/14/08 12:29 p.m.

Or those 'Mechanix' style work gloves work good too. Good grip, and last a long time.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
10/14/08 12:37 p.m.

If it's for racing, I'd say just go ahead and get a set of decent racing gloves. If it's for the street, I'd say turn up the heater...heck, you're in California, how cold can it be? I don't wear gloves when driving, even in Minnesota winters, but then again I'm pretty used to the cold.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/14/08 12:40 p.m.

Aren't Mechanix gloves made from a material that will get melty/drippy if heated?

Again, although I don't need flame retardant gloves, I do not want something that could turn into an additional hazard.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/14/08 12:42 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: If it's for racing, I'd say just go ahead and get a set of decent racing gloves. If it's for the street, I'd say turn up the heater...heck, you're in California, how cold can it be? I don't wear gloves when driving, even in Minnesota winters, but then again I'm pretty used to the cold.

Well, it's kind of for in-between. This is for HPDEs in the open-topped Miata. It's not ever going to get freezing, but mornings can be really chilly, especially driving an open-topped car at 100mph.

MiaTurbo
MiaTurbo New Reader
10/14/08 12:43 p.m.

It does have spandex/lycra shell, yes.

mw
mw New Reader
10/14/08 1:09 p.m.

I just got a coupon emailed from harbour freight advertizing some pigskin/cotton gloves for 9.99. They have a pig skin palm and fingers and a cotton camo back.

safetywear
safetywear New Reader
2/7/11 9:22 a.m.

yeah you may wear Mechanix Gloves during driving. because these have nice grip and also very comfortable.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/7/11 9:31 a.m.

For the street, nothing beats a nice set of leather ski gloves designed for spring skiing. They fit tightly, and grip the wheel nice, and are light.

glove link

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
2/7/11 9:31 a.m.

Way to dig up an old thread and go canoeing.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/7/11 9:45 a.m.

Didn't even notice the age of the thread.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
2/7/11 10:16 a.m.

"cop-style" short cuff motorcycle gloves? If you only wear them once in a while, they might be great, but they're always black and are not fire resistant. I had a pair of Icon branded jobs that would work well but the lining in them tore with repeated use, but $30 new is pretty much getting what I paid for.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
2/7/11 4:25 p.m.

I wear my old (20+ years old) unlined long gauntlet Cycle Racer motorcycle racing gloves. All leather, no lining to melt, long gauntlet for wrist protection, abrasion resistance also.

If I want to look posh I have a pair of fashion grade leather gloves lined with wool that my wife gave me 5 or so years ago. I know she got them at Nordstrom and I am sure she paid too much for them. Suprisingly meaningful to recieve nice gloves as a gift when you work with your hands, so price doesnt really matter in this case.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZqMtyxMn82HMtQMlcbpPAfFkFmA357j41xrXPJ0n82dLHyM7xe92tduyG1QcUQde