1 2
Caperix
Caperix New Reader
5/19/22 7:49 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

It's too bad you didn't have coachbuilders today like Pininfarina or Bertone would could take ugly fast cars and make them pretty fast cars.

I think there would be a demand for it, even if they could only change grilles, fenders and hoods.

The 3.0 csl is supposed to have a coach built body over the m4 chassis.  I think it is due for reveal at Goodwood this year.

What did you think of the big curved screen? Personally I'm not a fan but it looks like BMW is going to put it in everything.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
5/19/22 8:23 p.m.

Only 277-270 miles on a charge and it goes for well over $65k? Oof. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/19/22 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Caperix :

Actually, I really liked the curved screen. It's scaled down a little in the I4 compared to some of their other cars. 

The driving gauges are straightforward in front of you, and it has a heads up display. I've never driven a car with heads up display and I thought it would be a distraction, but it's really well done (asset, not an intrusion). 

The curved screen is primarily media, and that made it very tolerable. There was a clear distinction between the driving displays and the media displays. That made the curved screen work very well. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/19/22 10:08 p.m.
SV reX said:

The thrust is incredible, yet even more impressive is the stability. It's just planted. In every way possible. 

There is no way to gauge how fast you are going. Other than the speedo, and how fast you are passing everyone else. 

Fit and finish is gorgeous. 

0-60 in 3.7 seconds.  536 maximum HP.  Up to 270 mile range on a charge.

Yes, I'd say the performance makes up for a lot. I never looked at the grill. 

Cruise is pretty much a requirement when you're missing all the usual speed indications. 

I saw one of these at a charger in town a few weeks back. It's an impressive schnozz. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/19/22 10:10 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Only 277-270 miles on a charge and it goes for well over $65k? Oof. 

That's like complaining a Corvette doesn't get 45 mpg. Range is, in large part, a choice about how much battery you put in to the car. 270 isn't bad, I think we'll see most cars settle into the 250-300 range.

Off the tip of my head, this thing is pretty comparable to a Model 3 performance. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/19/22 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Except for the 536 hp part. wink

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
5/19/22 10:41 p.m.

I never knew these existed lol

grover
grover Dork
5/20/22 12:19 a.m.

The bmw grills are growing on me. I saw a dark grey or black m4 the other day and really liked it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/20/22 10:54 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Except for the 536 hp part. wink

And the extra 1000 lbs ;)

Seriously! 4072 lbs vs 5000. So the actual power/weight is awfully close, but at highway speeds you'll notice power/drag more. The weight difference may be because the BMW is based on an ICE platform and it's not chasing weight savings as aggressively as the Tesla. I expect we'll see some interesting M3P vs i4 M50 comparisons. Speed is a given in both cases, but one may be trying harder to be a "normal" car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ujf1RImzBoiel66nPSvMewlXkDFRusD7iyhFZyDjy0ImqNJ7JASM9E6Y0zFhant2