Elijah
Elijah
10/8/12 8:42 p.m.

I found a very clean e30 with 105xxx original miles and a new timing belt thermostat, radiator, and fan clutch upon the timing job. the owner wanted 3500 for it but it overheated "for the first time" that morning before I went to look at it. I offered him 2500 for it without the overheating problem fixed. Is this a good deal? Is the overheating problem serious? What's the cost of the repair? Thanks guys

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
10/8/12 9:21 p.m.

specify year, model, etc. What they're worth varies drastically between an early ETA and a late IS, for example.

If the HG is gone, 2500 is too much for any of them unless the rest of the car is mint. You need to find out why it's overheating and if it's a head gasket issue or not.

Elijah
Elijah New Reader
10/8/12 10:11 p.m.

It's a 1990 325is. I doubt it's the HG, it only over heated once and never reached the red line at all. I've been told it could be the boubles in the sleeves in the block in which case I'd need to "burp the cooling system"

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
10/8/12 10:31 p.m.

"Overheated only once" is what the owner is saying, right? No way that you can verify this, I assume?

Elijah
Elijah New Reader
10/9/12 6:40 a.m.

I'm taking his word for it on this one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/9/12 9:36 a.m.

To help you get some help, I'm going to move this thread from the build forum to the main message board.

Good luck with the car.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/9/12 9:41 a.m.

Not overheating...mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-BMW-325is-5-speed-manual-e30-/160895991157?forcev4exp=true

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
10/9/12 9:48 a.m.

The E30 market is blowing up. If the car is really clean and you're willing to put some work in, I say buy it and fix it.

You list could indicate good maintenance, or it could indicate that the PO threw a bunch of parts at the car and it's still overheating.

Plan on the worst case scenario: Are you willing to put another engine in this car?

cutter67
cutter67 New Reader
10/9/12 9:57 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Not overheating...mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-BMW-325is-5-speed-manual-e30-/160895991157?forcev4exp=true

take it easy posting this car everywhere i am still high bidder on it

i think 2500 is all the money for car with the issue of overheating. its always "that never happen before" from sellers.

it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into it by not thinking it's a big deal with the problem which we have all done. it all comes down to if you want to take a chance and a E30 is worth taking a chance on if its nice everywhere else

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/9/12 10:47 a.m.

ah, another generation poisoned by car lust: the OP is my nephew. welcome to GRM, E! and thanks DSW for moving this thread.

i always buy cars based on worst-case pricing to fix, and i always expect that the seller is hiding something from me or is lying to my face.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/9/12 10:56 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: i always buy cars based on worst-case pricing to fix, and i always expect that the seller is hiding something from me or is lying to my face.

Words to live by when buying an E30... a lot of pain can hide such a little car...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/9/12 2:18 p.m.

In reply to cutter67:
Sorry, i missed you posting this.
At the time I must have been over at www.spece30.com or VW Vortex hyping the car.

Elijah
Elijah New Reader
10/9/12 7:59 p.m.

UPDATE: the timing belt job was done at 77k miles... I don't know I'd that narrows anything down or not. Thanks everyone for the advice expecially my awesome Uncle: AngryCorvair, I called you earlier and I got your voicemail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bKacFHhM3H86CENXrbxJK6yPjX5WCxpmoPWdKppFiGsTZyiZpi0Ga9AkANvD1E5L