Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/5/13 10:14 p.m.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/5/13 10:19 p.m.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/5/13 10:23 p.m.

The PS cooler line was removed after this picture.

Moving_Target
Moving_Target Reader
9/6/13 12:09 a.m.

I like it!

I've been making slow but steady progress on my car as well. The drivers' side rearmost spark plug will be lots of fun to get at in the future.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/6/13 12:38 a.m.

Tell me about it . . . I fear removing booster to get to it.

ross2004
ross2004 New Reader
9/6/13 12:25 p.m.

Finally getting my Lemons E30 302/T5 swap buttoned up. Runs like a raped ape. You'll enjoy it

Moving_Target
Moving_Target Reader
9/6/13 11:17 p.m.

I just want to get it on the road so I can do some AFR tuning before the snow flies. I've been piddling around with this project for almost 2yrs and want to drive it and not just make "vroom vroom" noises in it while sitting on jack stands.

Moving_Target
Moving_Target Reader
10/7/13 9:49 p.m.

Vroom Vroom? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjv3J2BCSso

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/8/13 12:00 a.m.

glueguy
glueguy Reader
10/8/13 12:45 a.m.

If anyone is reading this and thinking about doing the same, I have an ideal E36 starting platform available......

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
10/10/13 9:19 a.m.

Our Lemons E30 pulls nicely. And then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ-D1T5dk3A

Yeah that was me :(

We have completed 4 races on it now, but it is using a lot of oil (1.5-2 qts/1.5 hour stint) Time to open it up.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
6/14/14 7:37 a.m.

Any updates on the e36 302s? I just ordered the swap cd, considering a build with the 1994 325i I just purchased.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
6/14/14 8:18 a.m.

Between life, wife, work, studies, and other projects I haven't touched it. Now that everything is leveling out, I'll put some hands on it soon.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
7/12/14 5:08 p.m.

I had an honest conversation with myself about this project and I think it is time to pass this on to someone who needs a clean chassis and 302 swap kit (I'm retaining the motor, trans, wiring). I just got tired of staring at it

• Clean E36 Roller chassis w/ title (includes 3.15 LSD, 3.91 diff, AKG steering joint replacement; stripped interior (dash, steering wheel and two seats))
  • 302 swap kit (engine and trans mounts + Ireland Eng mounts + CD + headers and crossover exhaust)
  • Bilstein Sport/H&R Race combo with shock mounts and goods

Prices . . . Not sure yet, but I'll update the post and create a post in the Classifieds.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/12/14 6:18 p.m.

:sadpanda:

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
7/12/14 8:00 p.m.

Very sad panda... Just getting my own e36 5.0 planning started. I am certainly interested in swap parts, where are you located?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
7/13/14 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 and crxmike:

Trust me . . . I'm sad about it about it as well. When I go to the garage to work on it, I just don't have the drive. Getting in the car and making Vroom Vroom noises doesn't have the punch anymore.

When I was at the old house, I couldn't wait to wrench on it. Now in the new house, 4 years later, I walk pass it everyday to work on the other stuff I have. I've talked to several friends and guys here on the forum and we all agree I have fatigue when it comes to this car. I'm few steps away from being complete (wiring, some plumbing, a drive shaft, adding clutch and flywheel, fill with fluids, and install body work). The fact that I haven't done that in last 2 years says it's time for it to move on.

But I have some other, more interesting cars left in the fleet to play with; the 4.8 powered Lincoln, Challenge Corolla, and Volvo 780. The 302 and T5 will go to the Volvo.

I would love for this to go to someone from the forum. I'm trying to price (without losing too much $$) it where one could get JY 302 and trans with some gummy tires and rule the challenge.

In reply to crxmike:

I'm in Columbia, SC.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
7/30/14 11:03 a.m.

you can come drive mine before someone buys the swap stuff if you want to re-invigorate your passion for it... sounds like it might be a bit late for that though...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
8/11/14 12:58 a.m.
crxmike
crxmike New Reader
8/11/14 7:30 a.m.

Sweet!!! Glad to see this project moving along, we need more transplant E36's!

Good luck!

Swappedbimmerman
Swappedbimmerman New Reader
3/25/16 1:08 p.m.

I have a 2001 330ci with a 5.0 swap the car runs good. I am working on the driveshaft wanting to do a one peice without the CV at the rear. Has anyone else done this

JBasham
JBasham New Reader
3/28/16 11:12 a.m.

No. I am doing a 1994 328i with a one-piece though.

Assuming you have a T5 or equivalent transmission, the existing yoke/u-joint will serve fine.

Jagsthatrun sells an adapter plate that will connect a Ford driveshaft to a 4-hole BMW (E36) differential, using a regular Spicer u-joint. I don't know what you would use for an E46 diff, but they might be compatible -- check on Bimmerforums for more information about the mounting patterns.

You can use any Ford drive shaft that's the correct length and strength. For example, a stock Foxbody mustang shaft is strong enough but you may need to get the length adjusted by a shop (it works for an E36 as is). Or there are custom length driveshafts available on the internet. Make sure you have tunnel clearance if you start increasing the diameter.

From there, it's just a matter of shimming the transmission so the angles at the trans end and the diff end are correct. There are a number of hot rod articles on line about this process.

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
3/28/16 11:28 a.m.
Swappedbimmerman wrote: I have a 2001 330ci with a 5.0 swap the car runs good. I am working on the driveshaft wanting to do a one peice without the CV at the rear. Has anyone else done this

I don't have a clue about the E46 rear so take this with a grain of salt, but I use a one piece aluminum driveshaft from a P71 'vic in my E30. Beefy and a mile long, cut to fit (assuming you can use it at all).

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
3/28/16 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Swappedbimmerman:

Looks like everyone replied already

I did the same as JBasham. Foxbody driveshaft + JTR flange + T5 yoke + driveshaft shop = power to the wheels.

JBasham
JBasham New Reader
3/29/16 9:59 a.m.

One more thought: it's worth measuring what shaft length you will need and then looking around at specs for a stock matching size you can get at a junkyard. There are not one but two stock Ford shafts that fit my E36, and one is even aluminum.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E58RhnAvCibxCWtYRjuqWOb5JAdxqmNdS6LA7HG5FPa2ynAN1tb0m6cl8mxWsn4d